Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honestly, what breed do you think this dog is?

It's really not up to me, but from what I understand, Kyle has slight food/resource guarding issues. The one all-breed rescue that actively takes dogs out of shelters extensively screens their dogs. They refuse to take in dogs with aggression type behavioral problems. Since shelters in this area are pretty much bursting with pups, I don't think they'll spend their resources on Kyle. Sad, but true. =/

We'll see...We're getting Kyle's name out there so hopefully a foster home will step up. He's not listed on dogsindanger, but I'll let the shelter know.

Poor Kyle, we;ll keep all paws crossed & be praying someone will step up -- miracles happen.
    BTW, I know it's sort of a mute issue now, but in that last picture, his head looks like he could have some Great Dane in him too, but it's probably just the angle. He's pretty stocky.

I'd think either rescue would be able to take him. No, he doesn't look any Belgian shepherd to me, but he's got the same type. Somebody looking for a dog who is similar in build to a belgian could take him just the same. Rescues aren't tied down by breed. Sure they like to stick to one breed, but I've seen specific rescues take on other dogs when in need. Wallace was in a cat rescue when we got him.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    I'd think either rescue would be able to take him. No, he doesn't look any Belgian shepherd to me, but he's got the same type. Somebody looking for a dog who is similar in build to a belgian could take him just the same. Rescues aren't tied down by breed. Sure they like to stick to one breed, but I've seen specific rescues take on other dogs when in need. Wallace was in a cat rescue when we got him.
    The Mal rescue refused to take him in. That's why I made this post because I was so flabbergasted. Breed rescues are tied down to take dogs in by breed. Otherwise, it begins a slippery slope and what then decides who gets taken in and who doesn't? I understand where they're coming from, so I can't blame them. I'm just sad because I really liked Kyle =/

I'm almost 100% sure he's a Belgain Malinois x German Shepherd.

First thing that came to mind was Malinois

Though there could definetley be German Shepherd or Dutch Shepherd in there too...The Dutch Malinois (a Golden Sable dutch shepherd...non registerable though) is another possibility.

He could be a mal mix, and I wouldn't even say it's impossible for him to be a purebred. It is hard to tell with working lines, they can vary so much. There are breeders out there that do breed for heads like that, because most people do believe it gives them a much better bite. Not incredibly uncommon to have a mal with such a short coat, but more common to have a thicker short double coat.

Here are some working mals that are quite similar.

To me he has more GSD qualities. His shoulders are placed high, like a GSD. His pasterns and feet give me the impression of a GSD. His front legs are structurally placed in a better spot, and I find GSDs to achieve this more than Belgians do. His knees look like they turn out which is more of a Belgian thing (and a very bad thing too). He also has long legs which is definatly not a GSD thing, it's more Belgian.

Impossible to tell -- I would rely on his temperament and behaviours at this point lol. If he's a malinois he'll probably always be in motion, trotting this way and that. He'll probably have a strong tendency to carry things in his mouth at most times. He'd probably have stronger prey drive than most dogs. He might use his front feet alot, especially in play. He won't whine often but he could have a very loud and sharp bark (that will hurt your ears). He could be very reactive, and would always be watching and knowing everything that is going on around him -- very alert.
    GSDs, especially in kennel situations, I find to be very very noisy. Lots of whining, lots of sniveling. They feel very sorry for themselves LOL. I've never found this in a Belgian -- they are generally very quiet dogs that bark on occasion, and it almost ruptures your eardrums every time.

If you give me his information I will post on Belg-L and contact the AMBC rescue coordinator. If they won't take him (usually they are good about it, I know they've taken in GSDs on occasion), I have a friend in California who is the BSCA rescue coordinator, and he has a big heart -- he may be able to help out.
    I've been BOO'd!

Breed?

I'm thinking a Malinois, too...?

My first guess would have been GSD/Mal.

Well, he actually looks a lot like a friend's dog who I met at dog training classes. I asked if she was a Mal mix and she said it was an AKC GSD bitch who was blowing coat. (and obviously not bred for conformation)

Niņo & Eliza

I honestly think that it's a Belgian Malinois, but I could be wrong.

what happened with Kyle he is a beautiful dog, I really hope someone stepped up for him

He's still at the shelter. I've been asking people and the shelter contacted a rescue but they said they were "full". Sounds like rejection if you ask me >_>

He still acts very subdued at the shelter and it really is heartbreaking to see him. If I didn't have Ivy...

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    There's a reason behind this, but I first want to know what you all think first.

What breed do you think this dog is?

He looks a lot like a malinois/GSD cross. In fact, your instincts are pretty spot on. These are popular in some working circles (there's a reason for that too).

He may or may not have been started out as a police dog. Maybe he was one in a litter that didn't pass the screening tests, but went to a pet home. Pet homes are often not prepared to deal with a dog that is bred to have high protection drives. But experienced homes do exist.

I feel for this dog too. It's very stressy to be in an environment that creates so much conflict with it's natural instincts and drives.

See this google image search search for examples of these deliberate crosses, also visit some of the sites. I'm sure some of them are training or breeding sites.

A reason that rescues may not have resources to deal with such designer-like mixes is that funds are often raised to support purebred rescue and they are not without fostering and financing issues. But many purebred rescues do sometimes work with those that deal with other breeds and mixtures of the same genre because their fostering resources are sometimes increased that way.

Our Anatolian rescue works with some mixed breed cases for the above reasons. (but it's not a wide open door due to resources) Anatolians are sometimes crossed with Great Pyrenees and the problem occurs when the dogs are not placed carefully or if the source doesn't provide problem solving support during the dog's training.

On a related note, the doodle and 'poo' craze does create a lot of animals that can be traced back to the poodle for instance, but there is just no way that poodle rescues can deal with the volume. As popular as some types of mixes get, there probably are not a lot of national rescues specifically for such mixes. So it's a sad reality.
    Semavi Lady Visit the blog!

malinois with some Shepherd for size, tight tail, etc. It has more Malinois I would say cause of color, face, ears. Nice dog very muscled.