Thread: I Need Advice.....

I Need Advice.....

I have a WONDERFUL DSH gray cat. Ketzala has been the love of my life since I adopted her as a kitten almost 4 years ago. I got rid of the boyfirend and kept the cat! Recently I tried to bring a Yorkiepoo puppy into our home and my little girl simply would not have it. She made herself physically sick so with a broken heart I gave the pup to a neighbor that had fallen in love with her.

My question is this.....Do you think my baby (Ketzala) will react to all new pets that may come into the house? Do you think she might react better if I adopted a kitten instead of a pup.

Should I just forget about adopting another animal?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kaye

First of all Welcome to Pet Talk & enjoy all the talks & pics..

Second of all most all cats after 4 yrs of age wont accept a small dog.. By experience I have noticed an adult like {likes yours} will always accept a kitten or young cat.. There will be some hissing & ect but the adult will accept kittens real well.. Just remember your cat has been the queen for 4 yrs.. Good Luck & let us know..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Boy, I just don't know. My fur posse are such ghetto cats that I can't imagine they'd accept any dogs. But I do want to welcome you to PT!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Welcome to PT!
    In my experience with Taz, I have moved him into a house that had a Cocker Spaniel then the current Aussie we have. He didn't make himself sick over it, but then again these are larger breeds than a yorkiepoo.
    And as far as another cat goes. Years ago, I moved in with a boyfriend who had a mama cat and one of her kittens. Taz accepted the kitten pretty quickly. But for the year I lived there he never got along with the mama. They tolerated each other and would sit in the same room, but never got near each other. I think the closest they got was about 2 feet and we were amazed!
    So you might be able to bring in a kitten. Just take it slow with the introductions.
    Good luck!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Hi and welcome to PT!!! In my experience my cats have accepted kittens much more easily than adult cats. I guess it's because they don't feel like they're a threat to them. Of course there will be hissing and growling at first but usually within a week or less mine have always settled down and learned to accept them. Good luck.

The problem with bringing in a kitten is their EXTREME playfullness. If the new kitten doesn't have a playmate, she will no doubt pest the heck out of your current cat, and this could hinder the bonding process. A pair of kittens often in so much better. They have each other while the current cat gets used to the whole idea of them. Just remember to LAVISH attention on your current cat and make introductions fun and rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    The problem with bringing in a kitten is their EXTREME playfullness. If the new kitten doesn't have a playmate, she will no doubt pest the heck out of your current cat, and this could hinder the bonding process. A pair of kittens often in so much better. They have each other while the current cat gets used to the whole idea of them. Just remember to LAVISH attention on your current cat and make introductions fun and rewarding.
    Oh yes for sure Jen on kitten to have a kitten playmate.. Thats why when Rastus came into the household I focused on getting Skid & Bump && also too of Scrapster Spanks & then came Nikita Dawn.. It takes the tension off of the adults cats.. Now for the adult humannss MMmm..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>