Thread: Could she get any thinner?

Could she get any thinner?

Sorry, but this is just becoming gross. The new Barbie has lost 25% of her body "weight" this year. This loss includes her butt (now just legs and torso) and her bust. Barbie now includes special features such as visible ribcage, and jutting bones. Pick one up for your daughter today!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...996732&sr=1-22
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I'm Glad I have Boys!!!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Wow! I was going through the toy section with my friends the other day(don't ask) and totally pointed out that barbie and compared her to a regular barbie. Anorexic much? That is really nasty that you can see a rib line on her, that's seriously disturbing.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Well you had the choice of not buying one. If you disagree with what they have done to the doll write the company a letter and don't buy their products. Hitting them in the wallet is your best weapon.

Toys R Us. Must have thousands of other choices you can pick for her.

The original Barbie (which was my generation's toy) was much too busty! So at least they are improving one thing. Now for all the rest of her.

If someone's role model is a plastic doll, they have far more serious issues than the toy itself.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Back when I worked at the day care, I had one parent who refused to buy her daughter barbies. Instead she bought another kind of doll that was more "realistic" in proportions. She didn't want her daughter to think that is what she should look like. While that is a great idea, her daughter will still see the skinny anorexic singers, actors and models in life and on TV.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    If someone's role model is a plastic doll, they have far more serious issues than the toy itself.
    Agreed.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I have friends who actually buy the following dolls for their kids.... There are all kinds of outfits for them out there. They have even gotten some face time in books recently.

Neat concept to impress that not everyone wants a Barbie, or to look like one.
    See Ugly Dolls here!!!

I know that. But the idea that the barbie designers and the people who make the molds for the plastic actually sat down and made a visible ribcage on a children's doll. They must be sick in the head.

I have friends who actually buy the following dolls for their kids.... There are all kinds of outfits for them out there. They have even gotten some face time in books recently.

Neat concept to impress that not everyone wants a Barbie, or to look like one.
    See Ugly Dolls here!!!
    I have Bop N' Beep in blue and green! They remind me of funky looking dog toys.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Lh,

Roflmao!!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian
    I have friends who actually buy the following dolls for their kids....
    Ok, those are pretty disturbing in and of themselves. LOL

Obviously, no child consciously says, "My role model in life is going to be this plastic doll!" However, we as a society are bombarding our young daughters with subconscious messages like the one our friend Barbie here is sending ... you must be thinner, prettier, have more stuff. Especially thinner. And the folks who would make light of that need only to look at the astronomical rise in eating disorders over the last few decades, not only amoung college or high school students, but middle school and grade school kids. NO eight year old should think she is "fat" if her ribs don't show. NO eight year old should even be thinking about things like that, period.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien