Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small dogs, probably pugs, specifically...a question

Small dogs, probably pugs, specifically...a question

I was wondering if anyone on here has been sucessful with litterbox training pugs, or other small dogs, I suppose.

I am thinking about getting some puppies, specifically pugs. My fear is that I am not really committed to coming home during the day to let them out, and I do feel that a 10 hour day is too long for MY animals to go without a potty break. I have plenty of litter boxes, and, of course, they would have to share them with my cats. Think pugs, specifically, can be litter trained?

What do you guys think? I can't even BELIEVE I am thinking of this.

Probably, bunnies can be trained so why not dogs...sorry I have no info though...how about a doggie door?
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I know some small dogs are trained to use paper, but I haven't heard about using a litter box. The problem is if you are thinking of getting puppies, you have to be available to train them to use the paper just as you would to get them to go outside. Taking on more than one puppy at a time would be a significant challenge. There are other issues with raising a puppy other than simply providing a place for them to *go* and these issues require considerable supervision. I would strongly suggest a grown dog for someone in your situation.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I can't use a doggy door, as I don't want a kitty door!

As for puppies vs. grown dogs, and I am a fan of rescues, I guess my fear is that I can't know for certain how grown dogs will react with my cats, or my son. Yes, I realize there are no true certainties, but, puppies growing up with a child and cats might be a surer bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    I know some small dogs are trained to use paper, but I haven't heard about using a litter box. The problem is if you are thinking of getting puppies, you have to be available to train them to use the paper just as you would to get them to go outside. Taking on more than one puppy at a time would be a significant challenge. There are other issues with raising a puppy other than simply providing a place for them to *go* and these issues require considerable supervision. I would strongly suggest a grown dog for someone in your situation.
    Agreed!! Puppies are A LOT of work, especially multiple puppies. To be honest, I really would not dream of taking on more than one puppy at a time. They're called "landsharks" for good reason

Plus, there are a lot of adult pugs up for adoption and most of them are housetrained and, more often than not, are used to living in homes and usually are not as destructive as puppies. But, to answer your question, yes, dogs can be litter trained. We litter trained my Pekingese, but the process of cleaning out the litterbox was more trouble than it was worth so we got rid of it.

ETA: On the contrary, I've been told (and have personally experienced) that a well-evaluated adult is a surer bet than a puppy. Please do consider adopting..

No offense,but I don't think you should get "some puppies" at all. If you
    won't have time to train them properly or even get to spend time with them,
    don't bother.
    Last edited by lizbud; 11-13-2007 at 09:15 AM.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I know someone who has a tiny dog that is litter trained. It actually works well for them, because when they're not there during the day, they just block her off in the kitchen and she goes in it. The only problem is, she doesn't like to go in the litterbox if it's not "clean". She'd rather go on the floor if there's something in her box. ((But I doubt this is a common habit...haha!)) Best of luck!
    Love, PupPLuv and her Pup, Macie Mae <3

Yes dogs can be litter trained. They make specific boxes and litter just for dogs. I wouldn't allow a puppy to have access to a cats litter box....dogs happen to LOVE to eat cat poop. You'd just have some ill puppies on your hands if you did that. It does take a lot of work though, dogs are not as easy to train for a litter box as cats. My grandma tried it with her chihuahua but wouldn't put the effort into training him so she gave up. You would have to be home and put in the time to train them to use a litter box just like you would to train them to go outside.

I agree with others that a small puppy, especially more than one, would not be the best idea in this situation. Look into some rescues that use foster homes. If the dog has been fostered around cats and children and has been good with them that would be a fairer bet than a puppy IMO.

I think 10 hours is too long to be alone for any dog, let alone a puppy. JMO

Hmmmm....so, anyone that works a 'full time' job doesn't qualify as an appropriate home for dogs? Most people I know work a minimum 8 hours a day. That is usally 9 hours on the job. So, allowing for transit, that puts them kind of close to 10 hours a day. They shouldn't own dogs? Is that really what people are suggesting? That is curious.

I do appreciate the comments about dogs vs. puppies. I did recognize that there is a time frame of some amount in that I would have to make trips home during the day. I just don't think I can do that long-term, as in years.

Just things to think about. Thanks for everyone's input!

Dogs v cats

What can I say? Dogs are much more work than cats. I love both but there is no doubt about it that cats are much more adaptable than dogs. You can leave a cat for hours and hours and they are just fine. Dogs, on the other hand need much more attention - feeding, potty, petting..... and they get sooooo lonely when you are not around. Cats, well, they are, as you already know, much more independent!

How about borrowing a dog for a long weekend? I think that will do it for you!

Johanna,
    I think you'd be better off with getting an adult dog who is already used to life with cats. Yes, people who work full time jobs are allowed to have dogs. However, I don't think being alone for 10 hours is the right situation for a puppy.

They need to be socialized, potty trained (even if it was in a litter box,) played with, fed 3 times a day, etc. Raising a puppy IS like a full time job. It's almost like raising a child.

Granted, an adult dog may have problems with being left alone too. Many dogs have seperation anxiety that will need to be trained. Of course, doggie daycare, if available, is always an option as well.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

You can confine a dog in a pen over linoleum with some paper out potty accidents, I do agree that puppies are sure a handful. My adult rescue is much easier and mellower however she does have issues and a past and I wouldn't trust her with your son to be honest she can growl at children.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Like I said, you'd be much better off with a well-evaluated adult. Private rescues spend a lot of time evaluating resource guarding, cat-safeness, friendliness with other dogs, children-safeness, trainability, exercise level, and overall temperament. Private rescues who foster their dogs gain a very intimate relationship with the dog. As an adult, the dog's temperament is stable and solid. A puppy's temperament fluctuates. IMO, you get a potty-trained dog with a solid temperament who desperately needs a home. Adopt

People with long work schedules can certainly own dogs, but people with such schedules should probably think twice about puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic
    Hmmmm....so, anyone that works a 'full time' job doesn't qualify as an appropriate home for dogs? Most people I know work a minimum 8 hours a day. That is usally 9 hours on the job. So, allowing for transit, that puts them kind of close to 10 hours a day. They shouldn't own dogs? Is that really what people are suggesting? That is curious.

I do appreciate the comments about dogs vs. puppies. I did recognize that there is a time frame of some amount in that I would have to make trips home during the day. I just don't think I can do that long-term, as in years.

Just things to think about. Thanks for everyone's input!
    I am not exactly sure what you meant by the above post. But, I think you got the gist of it. People who work full time jobs that would require them to be out of the house for 10 hours a day, and are not able to have someone go to the house to check on the dog during that 10 hour period should not get a puppy . It may be different with a dog that is house trained in both potty and manners. But it is difficult to train a puppy if you are going to be gone that long and then, naturally, want to have some time with just you and your son when you get home (I know I would want that too). As far as long term, Ginger didn't get run of the house until she was ten months old. So, no if you can make the trip home during the day to do some training, it doesn't have to be a lifetime thing. But it does take time to teach a puppy all of the manners he needs to know to be a happy addition to the household. If you have someone you trust who can check on and work on some issues/manners with the puppy during the day, then I say go for it. If not there are always quite a few adult pugs in need of rescue in my area.

Let me also say, Johanna, that I know exactly how you feel about being told a puppy may not be right for you. I work full-time and have no one else to help with the dog training, and I would be/have been extremely offended at being told I could not provide a good home for a dog. However, now that I have experienced raising a puppy on my own, I think that while I am still working, my next dog will be an older rescue.