Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My mom just got turned down

My mom just got turned down

Well, to start off, my mom has been having severe back problems after she had a siezure 3 days ago. Well, tonignt we took her up to the Emergency Room at our local hospital. Well, they kept her for 20 minutes and my mom came back out. She had been denied hospital services because we dont have $100 for some sort of insurance! They also said that they dont consider a dislocated spine (suspected) a medical emergency! I believe her spine is dislocated because 2 days ago she was loading our dishwasher and she suddenly stopped for 5 minutes. She just stood there. After that she said that she couldnt breath for the first minute and the rest of the time she was paralyzed. Now she has extreme pressure in her back. UGH that doctor gets on my nerves!

Your mom dosent have health insurance???

That seems a little odd, especially since she has epilepsy, and the medications alone cost hundreds of dollars a month!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I'm sorry for your mom. Sorry she was refused treatment at the hospital.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

How sad. She should call her own doctor's office - assuming she has one - and most doctor's answering machines have the number to call for immediate assistance if needed, or they have an answering service that will page the doctor and get back to you.

Considering she has epilepsy and can't work, it's very odd that she doesn't have any kind of medical coverage, disability or medicaid.

Is she applying for anything like medicaid? She can apply for emergency assistance, and your family can apply for food stamps as well.

How are your asthma medication(s) paid for if there isn't any medical insurance?

Mom and dad really need to look into assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian
    Considering she has epilepsy and can't work, it's very odd that she doesn't have any kind of medical coverage, disability or medicaid.

Is she applying for anything like medicaid? She can apply for emergency assistance, and your family can apply for food stamps as well.

How are your asthma medication(s) paid for if there isn't any medical insurance?
    Yep, she has a lawyer trying to get her on meticade. I only have to take Cingular for my asthma, the same with my mom. I dont know how my dad pays for it.

Hee hee - Reggie, the asthma medicine is spelled Singulair - you spelled it like the phone company!

I take Singulair as well, and it's not cheap, so I am always glad I have my insurance.

Yeah, I dont take Singulair, but I take Advair, which is pretty much the same thing, and yes it is very expensive.

My SIL Has epilepsy, and her medications would cost her roughly 400$ a month if she didnt have insurance.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

The hospital I use told me they MUST treat you in the ER even though you have no insurance. I just called them to ask, out of curiosity. They told me it's the law.

You can download the forms for Social Security Disabilty and do the paperwork yourself. I didn't need a lawyer. Your mom is in worse shape than me and it only took a few months. Praying she feels better..bad backs are awful. Hopefully things will work out for you guys soon.

Make sure Reggie gives her tons of kisses to cheer her up!

I've been Boooo'd!

By law, hospitals are not supposed to refuse treatment to anyone.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

This is why I want to just smack some of the people I work with... we just negotiated a new contract for the next 3 years and they had a fit that we have to pay $20 a pay starting next school year for medical, Rx and dental. Our Rx plan costs us $10. a script, for up to 90 days worth. I swear they have no idea what it's like in regular workworld (I was there before, was without insurance before as well). Granted it was a lower co-pay before, and it when I started in the district we paid $8 a pay, and $5. for Rxs, but still, we still have a great plan now. I guess some people complain no matter what... sigh.

I hope that something works out for your family with the medical coverage. I know we can always make due when it comes to food (heck, I can live on grilled cheese, lol), but medical many times cannot be compromised.

That is horrible! And I really hope your mom doesn't have a dislocated spine..I can't imagine how awkward and painful that could feel. I hope something can be done to help her. Sometimes I think of hospitals so lowly because of the stupid decisions they make sometimes.

My hospital here is one of those hospitals that almost does more harm to people than good. Whenever I need to go to the hospital or outpatients for any reason, I drive a half hour just to go to a different and better hospital.

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by K9karen
    You can download the forms for Social Security Disabilty and do the paperwork yourself. I didn't need a lawyer.
    Well, my mom has been turned down twice for a reason i do not know. Thats why we hired a lawyer.

She needs to go to another hospital possibly?? Some hospitals can not turn you down.

Do you have a health department there? With her medical problems, she needs medicaid or something like that. Is she legally on disability? I'm pretty sure she can get some type of help. Tell her to check into it.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah
    She needs to go to another hospital possibly?? Some hospitals can not turn you down.

Do you have a health department there? With her medical problems, she needs medicaid or something like that. Is she legally on disability? I'm pretty sure she can get some type of help. Tell her to check into it.
    Well, our hospital, by law, cannot turn a patient down because of money. My mom has a lawyer trying to get her on medicaid because she has been turned down twice. I dont know why.