Thread: *UPDATE* on my cat Mowgli

*UPDATE* on my cat Mowgli

Well here is my original post on him OLD POST

He just got done with cataract surgery and Neuter at the same time! Ouch!

He just got home tonight and is acting weird, He was going absolutly psyco earlier trying to get E-Collar off. and it was causing his neuter location to bleed.

Now Im having a hard time feeding him water, he cant drink without his collar getting in the way and taking water everywhere.
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? What type of bowl to use? I was using a drinkwell fountain and he put the the e collar in the stream of water and that made a huge mess.

Also having a hard time giving him his oral liquid meds, so hard to control his face when it is being blocked by a huge collar.

He almost got the collar off earlier!!!!!! He actually got the cloth that holds it on untied, luckily I caught that and tied it again, I only hope I tied it tight enough and that he doesnt get it off later tonight. For now he seems to have stopped fighting it though.

His scrotum cut was bleeding and he got litter on it. We use the crystal type, and it sticks to hair when wet.... So I had to pull them out of cut, I hope I didnt leave any in.

On top of all this he has giardia, so that makes this 100% more fun. =D

He looks absolutly miserable, I feel so sad for him.

The surgery came out to about $4000, that isnt counting all the pre tests and visits ..... so yeah, this little baby cat is the biggest money sink Ive ever had. I love him to death though!

Thanks for everyone who said kind words to me before. It really helped me.

I don't have any words of wisdom, just wanted you to know I've been thinking of you. I haven't seen you here or the other forum lately so was hoping things were improving.

Someone will be along soon to give you good advice. I wish I had some for you. All I can do is send you and Mowgli lots of happy healing thoughts and some prayers, too.

Hugs to you both,
    Crystal

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I don't know if you are using an E-collar made of hard plastic, but there is one that is available made of cloth. This is a little more maliable and it still protects the incisions.

http://www.amazon.com/Soft-E-Collar-.../dp/B000FUJD30

There are several kinds of collars that you can use on Mowgli. The ones that tie are my least favorite because cats can work them off. Ask your vet about a collar that has snaps on it. They're next to impossible for a cat to get off. My RB Peeka had one when she had surgery and she never was able to get it off. I know how much they hate them. Depending on Mowgli's personality, you may be able to remove it while he eats and drinks if you're sure he won't bolt as soon as he's finished. Maybe the width of the collar is too big also. I'm sure your vet can find something that won't drive the poor boy (and you) crazy. Good luck and we'll keep those prayers going......
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Mowgli, you hooman really REALLY lvoes you, but you HAVE to help yourself, too!

My RB boy, Dazzle, learned to get out of an e collar in 20 seconds flat! Dad and I took turns staying up with him the first few nights. Fortunately, boys don't need to wear it as long as the girls.

I don't have any words of advice, just healing prayers and hugs to both of you. Remember, this is not a long term situation!

I Remember The Trouble I Had When Precious Needed The Collar For Her Ouchie Ear, Less Than A Year Ago.
    Now Shes An Angel , And While Cleaning Up I Found Her Collar Where I Left It After We Mutually Decided That She Didnt Want It On.
    You Are A Wonderful Guardian For Mowgli As Very Few People Who Commit That Sum Of Money For Thier Cat, You And Mowgli Truly Must Be In Ove, And Thats Wonderful Asowgli We Are Surewill Make You Glad That You Invested In Him.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I wish I could take the collar off while he ate. There is way to much risk in that though. A cat can destroy their eye surgery in less than 30 seconds, so that isnt really going to be a possibility, the neutering is so minor compared to his eyes, its almost like we arent even paying attention to the pain he has down there.
    I need to give him eye drops every hour. FOr at least a couple weeks I think. This is really no fun at all... heaha

That soft collar looks cool, looks easy to slip out of though, and I wonder if they make them small enough for my 4 pound kitten, Ill look into it.

Actually, nope, I cant use that with him. He would be able to rub his face on things which is a big no no with his cataract surgery. =(

You can by the snap e-collars at Petsmart and probably Petco.

These snap together and are more difficult (sometimes) for the cats to get off.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...=e-collar&sr=1

Well it turns out that his was to tight. He is so small that they made him a custom tiny one, but it was so tight that it was causing to much pressure in his head. I wonder if thats why he was having a hard time walking and stuff. Hopefully he is ok from the loss of oxygen to his head all night. So I went back today for a checkup and they gave him the smallest one they had that wasnt makeshift and on the way home he stepped through it and got his legs and belly stuck in the neck part. I didnt even realize until I was almost home. I heard him thrashing around, but that is normal sometimes. I had to pull over on the highway to fix it.

Everything seems fine now though, THis one is much looser so he can eat and drink easily now.I just hope he didnt hurt his eyes when he did get out of it in the car.

Awwww...I am so glad to hear that Mowgli had his surgery. Sorry you are having such a hard time with the E-Collar, but I have never had to use one, so i have no advice to give! But make sure that you give plenty of lovins to that sweet little kitty for me!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!