Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is YOUR definition of a BYB?

ScottieMommy, this "beagle lady" is middle-aged, unemployed, and lives alone. What is she so busy doing then? How can she not have any time to go to a show every once in a while? I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that this "reputable beagle breeder lady" does not have, what, 1 hour per month to travel to a show?? She doesn't even have to go to a show every month. She could go to a few specialties and pick up majors there. Or is it, her dogs are not of breeding quality and therefore she does not burden herself with showing her dogs?

There are a LOT of perfectly healthy dogs who can get PennHip'd, OFA'd, and whatnot. Almost every agility person I know x-rays and examines their dogs' hips and elbows and sometimes their eyes. Their dogs almost always pass with good or excellent results. These people love their dogs. Should they breed? NO! There are plenty of dogs who can get health tested and pass satisfactorily, but the one major factor that differentiates breeding-quality dogs from pet-quality dogs is their contribution to the overall breed. The only way to prove such quality is through competition - conformation, herding, hunting, lure coursing, Schutzhund, etc.

And I don't know where you got that quote, but it is extremely inaccurate. The author of your quote assumes that the only way to prove your dog is through showing. False false false. There are plenty of other ways that we've already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by binka_nugget
    Responsible breeders breed to better the breed. The dogs don't necessarily have to be shown and have Championships though. For example, drive and working ability is more important than conformation for Malinois, herding instinct is important for working BCs, etc. With that said, responsible breeders will prove that their dogs excel in whatever it is they are breeding for, be it conformation, schutzhund, french ring, herding, tracking, hunting, etc.
    Oh yes! I always forget the field work; and I attend plenty of border collie sheep trials, so I have NO excuse; just my nutty brain!

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    ScottieMommy, this "beagle lady" is middle-aged, unemployed, and lives alone. What is she so busy doing then? How can she not have any time to go to a show every once in a while? I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that this "reputable beagle breeder lady" does not have, what, 1 hour per month to travel to a show?? She doesn't even have to go to a show every month. She could go to a few specialties and pick up majors there. Or is it, her dogs are not of breeding quality and therefore she does not burden herself with showing her dogs?

There are a LOT of perfectly healthy dogs who can get PennHip'd, OFA'd, and whatnot. Almost every agility person I know x-rays and examines their dogs' hips and elbows and sometimes their eyes. Their dogs almost always pass with good or excellent results. These people love their dogs. Should they breed? NO! There are plenty of dogs who can get health tested and pass satisfactorily, but the one major factor that differentiates breeding-quality dogs from pet-quality dogs is their contribution to the overall breed. The only way to prove such quality is through competition - conformation, herding, hunting, lure coursing, Schutzhund, etc.

And I don't know where you got that quote, but it is extremely inaccurate. The author of your quote assumes that the only way to prove your dog is through showing. False false false. There are plenty of other ways that we've already mentioned.

She owns a lot of land, and is busy most of the day out there. Even tho i would not call it a job is hard to keep up with land and when you are alone. She also visits her grandchildren a lot, and YES she does everything but show her dogs. That does not make her a bad dog owner/breeder to me. There are many worse out there. I dont know anything else since i dint ask her about her personal life much :x
    Biscotties, the perfect companion for your latte.
    I love my girls Nena & Lola, there just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    Oh yes! I always forget the field work; and I attend plenty of border collie sheep trials, so I have NO excuse; just my nutty brain!
    I totally forgot about that too. But I agree.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieMommy
    She owns a lot of land, and is busy most of the day out there. Even tho i would not call it a job is hard to keep up with land and when you are alone. She also visits her grandchildren a lot, and YES she does everything but show her dogs. That does not make her a bad dog owner/breeder to me. There are many worse out there. I dont know anything else since i dint ask her about her personal life much :x
    Why doesn't she hire someone to handle her dogs for her?
    See ALL my pets here

So how does she prove her dogs? As breeders and dog lovers/owners, we become "kennel blind". We become used to our dogs' faults and do not see the glaring faults that may exist beyond our loving gaze.

So, how does she prove her dogs, then? How can she differentiate between breeding quality dogs and pet quality dogs? If she doesn't show in the field or the ring, how can she possibly prove her dogs and choose which dogs will contribute most to the breed? Showing or working your dog in any venue is extremely important for the pure simple fact that it sets apart breeding-quality dogs from companion-quality dogs. If she doesn't show in any venue, how can she responsibly breed the best?

can the example of my thread be left alone. my thread turned from a friendly I need help to lets bash the poor girl. Everyone has there opinion but no one like being told there a BYB when there not, and i didnt even geta sorry and i got its al my fault and im wrong and u shouldnt been in that group and this and that. enough please

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbys Mom
    can the example of my thread be left alone. my thread turned from a friendly I need help to lets bash the poor girl. Everyone has there opinion but no one like being told there a BYB when there not, and i didnt even geta sorry and i got its al my fault and im wrong and u shouldnt been in that group and this and that. enough please
    Um no? It's not like I'm saying to pick on you I'm saying after that thread it got me thinking that other people have different veiws on what a BYB means to them.

Also can you please refrain from using msn spelling and grammar, it makes it really hard to understand what your trying to say.
    See ALL my pets here

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    So how does she prove her dogs? As breeders and dog lovers/owners, we become "kennel blind". We become used to our dogs' faults and do not see the glaring faults that may exist beyond our loving gaze.

So, how does she prove her dogs, then? How can she differentiate between breeding quality dogs and pet quality dogs? If she doesn't show in the field or the ring, how can she possibly prove her dogs and choose which dogs will contribute most to the breed? Showing or working your dog in any venue is extremely important for the pure simple fact that it sets apart breeding-quality dogs from companion-quality dogs. If she doesn't show in any venue, how can she responsibly breed the best?
    I guess she could hire someone to show for her, i have not seen her in over 1 year, i would not be surprised if she already did. My first post was my opinion about BYB'S there are the good and bad ones to me, period. NOT everyone can afford a pet from a breeder, and some BYB'S arent as bad as others. And what if the shelter rejects you as well? Then where do you go for a dog? The pet store? HELL NO, i would never buy from a pet store tho Nena came from there i never actually went in and bought her. I myself dont enter pet stores who sell puppies, period. BYB'S is another way you can get a dog instead of going to the pet store and i am sure is 100% then doing there. Everyone has different opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    Um no? It's not like I'm saying to pick on you I'm saying after that thread it got me thinking that other people have different veiws on what a BYB means to them.

Also can you please refrain from using msn spelling and grammar, it makes it really hard to understand what your trying to say.
    um...no...my grammar is no concern of urs. But still u guys jumped my thread yesterday and i was ready to leave pt for good. you and the rest of the bashes need to stop fighting with harmless ppl who love there pets. I dont bug u about ur pets and how u raise them. if u want to get some thing done in the world about the pet population and puppy mills get out there and do something dont stay at home and sit on ur comp. im done wit u and ur bashin friends. peace out

A MUST read for every pet owner out there, or anyone even thinking of owning a pet. The article uses cats in it's example, but it just as easily applies to dogs as well.

http://www.pawsoftulsa.org/spaytosave/just1litter.htm

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I believe anyone who doesn't show or health test is a byb.

My summer school teacher this summer was my definition of a good breeder. She breeds Prembroke welsh corgis. She lives with her elderly father who can help. She travels around the country showing, doing agility, obedience, conformation, tracking and herding with them. She also judges many akc events. She had a litter while I was in her class and she would always talk about them, she had homes lined up for them before they were even born if one was sick she didn't even resist taking them to the vet. One morning two of her females got in a fight and she had to go to the vet before she came to school and didn't even flinch coming to school with blood and hair on her.

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

Funny, I would classify that as a puppy mill.
    No it is for the money,This is how her and her husband live,Off all there animals,I have seen some of the pups,Now i cannot judge there health but from what i have seen they seem to be healthy,And all that has been told to me is it is very clean atmosphere.Now this couple are in there 60's i would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Jordan
    No it is for the money,This is how her and her husband live,Off all there animals,I have seen some of the pups,Now i cannot judge there health but from what i have seen they seem to be healthy,And all that has been told to me is it is very clean atmosphere.Now this couple are in there 60's i would say.

See people that age i dont think do this to hurt the animal or know they are doing wrong. They probably love their dogs as you and i do.

to me, a good breeder is a soemoe who breeds to improve the breed. what "improve the breed" means is something else entirly lol

some would say you need to show to improve the breed, to others its the total opposite.

some would say you need to work for work to improve the breed, other say if the work is obselete then who cares.

some say that breeding soly for health and temperment is improving the breed, other disagree.

personally, I think it depends on the breed. for some breeds you need to show and work the dogs to be a good breeder; for other breeds only showing is needed; and for other breeds, showing makes for a terrable breeder, and only breeding for work can be considered a good breeder. Temperment and health should be a given for ANY breeder.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils