Thread: My continuing adventures as a sled dog..by Tehya

My continuing adventures as a sled dog..by Tehya

woooooooooooo PT

We have been doing lots of training lately. That's me in the back beside Anvik. Mom says I am showing my biggest problem as a sled dog in this picture....I really, really want to run on the left side of the trail! I'm not sure why but apparently that's a bad thing. I was the lead dog in this team for awhile, but I kept dragging us over to the wrong side so I got moved! Whatever, I had fun in the back with Anvik. Mom says I've turned into a harness banger! I get all jumpy when I'm waiting to go!

We went really far on the weekend. I had never been on this trail. I didn't even know it was there! It was way cool! We saw some bunnies, grouse and lots of squirrels. There were moose and wolf tracks everywhere, but we didn't see those critters!

Here's happy Ozzy! See me being silly in the back. I'm a bit of a ham for the camera!

My lake is frozen over! Apparently, it's not safe to play on though.

We did get run on some ice though. This is where my lake had too much water this summer and it spilled onto the trail! It was cool running on the ice and Mom says I was a very good cuz I didn't freak out about slipping around a little bit! Apparently some dogs freak out about that--wimps!

Now I have to go chase Chum around some more.

WOoooooo to ya later, PT
    Tehya, the harness banger!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Hello Tehya! What a wonderful sled dog you are. Glad you had fun and it looks so beautiful in Canada with all the snow.

Hope you have twice as much fun on the next run!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Woooo, precious Tehya! Look at the beautiful place you went sledding! I'm glad you got to check out all kinds of interesting sights like squirrels, rabbits and even moose tracks. I'm also very glad your Mom shares them with us!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Why am I not suprised that Tehya doesn't want to follow in anyone else's tracks, she wants to make her own. She's made her own way in the world thus far, and done failry well! I noticed that, even in the photo with the team stopped, Tehya is looking off to the left. Must be where all the good things hang out!

And that happy Ozzy, whoa, I didn't remember him! Such a great shot of him.

But brrrr! I'll stay down south here, thank you. I am not ready for that much winter yet!

Oh how I enjoy getting to see you and the team out and about on the snow Tehya
    I can imagine just how much fun your all having, especially going on a new trail! Sounds cool!
    Thanks for keeping us updated and tell mom thanks for the new pictures too!!!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier

I really, really want to run on the left side of the trail!
    ... apparently that's a bad thing.

I was the lead dog in this team for awhile,
    but I kept dragging us over to the wrong side so I got moved!

Mom says I've turned into a harness banger!
    I get all jumpy when I'm waiting to go!

Do they make Husky *Blinders* like they do for draft horses?

Wonder if Tehya ever spent time in Merrie ole England? ---
    They always drive onna *wrong side* of the path!

I often wondered WHY a number of your pix showed the Team running in the "Left Lane" ...
    so that's not considered Good Form, huh?

As for her Other Problem --- WHAT is a Harness Banger??

Possibly a Dog who constantly *Lurches Ahead* pulling on the lines BEFORE the
    "Let's ROLL!" command is given?
    What *IS* the GO command ... prolly NOT "Let's ROLL!"

HOW do you go about sending "corrections" to only one dog in the team?
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    :I often wondered WHY a number of your pix showed the Team running in the "Left Lane" ...
    so that's not considered Good Form, huh?

As for her Other Problem --- WHAT is a Harness Banger??

Possibly a Dog who constantly *Lurches Ahead* pulling on the lines BEFORE the
    "Let's ROLL!" command is given?
    What *IS* the GO command ... prolly NOT "Let's ROLL!"

HOW do you go about sending "corrections" to only one dog in the team?
    It's not normally a huge problem around here since we rarely run into any traffic. Lots of the trails I use are narrow that there really isn't a side! But it's a problem for skidoos, other teams and if we race this winter. They need to be on the right side for those situations.

A harness banger is a dog who jumps and lunges while waiting. Some mushers discourage it. I don't bother. I like the enthusiasm! I do discourage the dogs who like to grab the lines in front of them and pull back, but they can jump and squeal all they want!

Technically, the go command is HIKE. However, in reality, the dogs need no go command! They start running as soon as the tension comes off the snub line.

To correct one dog only, I yell their name before the command that I want them to do. On the ATV it's easy to correct. Just set the parking brake, walk up and fix things. Not so easy on the sled. I'm not sure why Paxil is letting Tehya get away with the left pulling thing. She usually makes that correction! Tehya's a smart girl, she'll figure it out soon enough, if she keeps getting picked up and moved over or demoted from leader!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving