Thread: Coughing - Hairball?

Coughing - Hairball?

My new pooch Sadie was spayed almost a week ago, just before we got her. The past two days she has started hacking and coughing, not all the time but probably 6-8 times/day and once she starts it seems very hard for her to stop. Her breathing gets laboured and sometimes she seems to hack something up, then lick and swallow. Could she be getting hairballs from licking herself more since the surgery? What else could be causing this coughing and what can I do to help it? I scheduled a vet visit for her before this started, but it's not for another two weeks and now I'm wondering if I should try and get her in earlier...

Any help would be much appreciated! I had dogs as a kid but this is my first "adult dog" on my own and I want to do this right!

I wouldn't think she would be getting hairballs...as far as I'm aware, most dogs will pass hair on through without help. Mine has quite a bit of long hair and she licks herself almost as much as the cat does (comes from being raised with cats, I guess ). Sometimes it causes problems during defecation; it sometimes appears she's constipated because one piece is connected to the next with the hairs she's swallowed, and she has to stay there and strain until the last connected 'link' comes on out, but never hairballs.

It seems to me a more likely scenario would involve catching an upper respiratory infection at the spay clinic or vet's office you took her to, or during the time since it's been done, since the immune system is likely to be a bit compromised while healing from surgery like that. I know when I have a cold or respiratory infection, I cough stuff up (well, that's better than the dry hacking, but still not good). You have to keep in mind that even though vets try to do a good job at keeping things clean, there are still other animals there at the same time, and a lot of them are there because they are sick. You're much more likely to encounter germs in a place where sick animals congregate. That's why it's generally not a good idea to use the vet's waiting room as a place to socialize your new pups.

I would definitely call the vet and explain to them that she has started coughing, and ask if they can see you sooner.

Yeah, I agree that this is worth a call to your Vet & let them be the judge
    wheather she should be seen.She might have kennel cough.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by VTJess03
    I wouldn't think she would be getting hairballs...as far as I'm aware, most dogs will pass hair on through without help. Mine has quite a bit of long hair and she licks herself almost as much as the cat does (comes from being raised with cats, I guess ). Sometimes it causes problems during defecation; it sometimes appears she's constipated because one piece is connected to the next with the hairs she's swallowed, and she has to stay there and strain until the last connected 'link' comes on out, but never hairballs.

It seems to me a more likely scenario would involve catching an upper respiratory infection at the spay clinic or vet's office you took her to, or during the time since it's been done, since the immune system is likely to be a bit compromised while healing from surgery like that. I know when I have a cold or respiratory infection, I cough stuff up (well, that's better than the dry hacking, but still not good). You have to keep in mind that even though vets try to do a good job at keeping things clean, there are still other animals there at the same time, and a lot of them are there because they are sick. You're much more likely to encounter germs in a place where sick animals congregate. That's why it's generally not a good idea to use the vet's waiting room as a place to socialize your new pups.

I would definitely call the vet and explain to them that she has started coughing, and ask if they can see you sooner.
    Agree completely!

Especially on the not socalizing pups at the vets office!!!! Wish we could get that through to our clients sometimes.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022