View Poll Results: Do You Still Have Your Wisdom Teeth??? (Please, only mid/late-teenagers and adults.)

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I have all FOUR and have never had a problem with them.

14 18.92%
  • I have all FOUR, but will need to have them removed in the near future.

5 6.76%
  • Nope! Mine were taken out ____ years ago!!

44 59.46%
  • Other...

11 14.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Have Your 'Wisdom Teeth' Still?

Do You Have Your 'Wisdom Teeth' Still?

Poll/Voting disclaimer: I prefer that only mid-late teens and adults answer the poll as that is who my body will better relate to. If lots of pre-teen PTers vote, it'll scue the results. Thank you for understanding. You are MORE than welcome to "vote" in a post.

Owie! My wisdom teeth are coming in and I'm teething, how odd for a 29-year old! I've been having migraines almost every day/night in the past month or so, the right side (where one has halfway erupted through the gum - like when babies first get teeth) of my head has been a dull ache....yesterday, everything got much worse.

My ear hurt, my jaw hurt, my upper and lower wisdom teeth areas hurt/ached and I had a hard time keeping anything down. I’m sure it was just me working myself up, but I was soooo anxious and in so much I couldn’t sit still! It was horrible, it was like being in the hospital again – the anxiety and pain part. No matter what I did - warm coffee, my own pain meds, my anti-anxiety medication, walk around for a bit to try and calm myself – worked. The pain got worse and my body felt waves of anxiety coursing through it.

Anyway, one of the girls at work recommended her dentist (I wanted one that was gentler than mine…and David still goes to “our dentist”. So it was time to move on. I went and briefly saw Julie Anne Valde, D.D.S. on an emergency appt at 1:30 p.m. I had some xrays to show my wisdom teeth and the rest of the teeth that would be affected by them if they were growing in wrong, etc. One of her lovely and AMAZINGLY gentle dental hygienist cleaned my teeth with a sonic thingamabob and only had to scrape for about 3 – 4 minutes – it was probably the easiest appt. I’ve EVER been to! Found out my body/teeth aren’t absorbing Fluoride due to my Crohn’s Disease and also due to the amount of (sorry, not trying to be gross) vomiting I do. So, I got prescription toothpaste that I need to use twice daily to hopefully strengthen my teeth. Its surprisingly not horrible…its all minty fresh which is good, because I’m not allowed to rinse when I’m done brushing.

So, as per Dr. Valde’s real quick looking at my new records and x-rays, I’m going back in next week to have the second ½ of my appointment – where I’ll properly meet with her and we’ll discuss taking out my wisdom teeth. YIPPEE!!!

So, my question is…do you still have your Wisdom Teeth? Did you have them removed? If so, all at once or 2 by 2? What was your experience? What age did you get your Wisdom Teeth?

Thanks guys, I’ll update when I know more.

Hugs, Kelly
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I don't. I had mine out with inhaled nitrous oxide and IV Valium when I was 27 (I'm 41 now). First the left upper and lower, then about two months later the right upper and lower. They weren't actually painful, but they were impacted. I am a major wimp when it comes to anything dental. The oral surgeon also injected dexamethasone, which is a steroid, into the soft tissue of my cheek so I would not have massive swelling. Between that and ice packs I got through it without much swelling at all.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Ooo, poor thing. Only one of my wisdom teeth ever tried to come in, the lower left. It started when I was about 25 or so from memory. Problem was it never came all the way through, so what happens is that the gum doesn't "close" properly round the tooth to form a seal. Over time tiny bits of food and bacteria can accumulate down under the gum and rot the root. After about 10 years or so of having an unclosed gum I had to get the tooth out. It came out without a problem though.

Mine never came in... they're missing.

funny thing.....

being also 29..... I still have them halfway out.... LOL..... so I might be just halfway wise...

anyway they have never hurt at all..... well only when I had my kid I had to have one removed and I did had some jaw pain... but the remaining three are still there.... well halfway there anyway....

upper left removed
    lower left 3/4 out still a bit skin over
    lower right 1/4 or less out, a lotta skin over
    upper right.... hmm....... gotta check on that one..... ok so I manuevered a bit to see it´s still not out yet... haha....
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Ouch! I'm so sorry you're in so much pain.

I have all four of mine and they've never given me any trouble... yet.

My sister had hers removed last summer. One was bothering her and they took that one out right away. The dentist wanted to take all four out, but she had new insurance they made her wait for the others to be removed. She finally got the other three out and as the dentist was finishing up her heart stopped and they had to revive her. She was fine, but the whole thing was scary.

On another note, Nathan can sympathize with you, he's teething too. He got his first tooth last Friday and I expect the second one any day.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Last Feb. I had them x-rayed and my dentist said I might have to have them removed. We just have to keep watch of them. I am not good with pain at all... so hopefully I don't have to have them removed. My friend had her's removed and she was pretty much out for a week...
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Two of mine never came in, the other two have been pulled.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Yes, I have all of them and have never had any problems.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I had all 4 impacted wisdom teeth out when I was 19. Amazingly, I had no pain, barely any swelling and I woke up from the procedure fully alert. I actually asked the dentist to show me the teeth because I didn't think he did anything to me! Ha!

Also, they had to give me double the regular drugs to knock me out. For some reason, I wasn't falling asleep and he asked me to start counting. I was counting up to 20 and told him he better give me more drugs since this isn't working. You would figure, if I got double the drugs, I would be really dizzy coming out of the procedure but I woke up all alert.

The only recommendation I can give is to make sure you rinse out the sockets (where the teeth used to be) and clean them well every time you eat. Otherwise, infection can happen pretty fast. Make sure they give you an irrigation syringe to flush out the sockets. Or, if they don't just go to the local drug store and buy one there.

I'm a chicken when it comes to dental procedures and having my 4 teeth out scared me to no end. Hope your procedure was as easy as mine!
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

I had mine taken out when I was about 17, I think. All four at the same time. And only because they were beginning to mess up my orthodontist work, not becuase they hurt.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Mine haven't started coming in yet. Most likely, i will have to get them removed. I don't have enough room for them.

I had mine out when I was 29. I have jaw problems and my wisdom teeth were such a mess that the removal was done in the hospital as a day surgery under a general anasthetic. Couldn't chew for 10 days and I looked like a battered chipmunk with black eyes and big cheeks!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I had jaw surgery when I was 16 yrs old which had nothing to do with the wisdom teeth, but as long as I was under general anesthesia they pulled all 4 wisdoms at the same time. After waking up there was no pain from the wisdoms because my jaw hurt like hell (they had to break/saw through the jaw and wire that) so THAT filled up the pain threshold hee hee. My jaw was wired shut for a while and I got to eat thru a straw lol

I had all 4 out when I was in my late teens. I sawthe xrays, they were ALL growing sideways! All 4 of them. Pushing all the other teeth forward.

At the time, the dental insurance I had would not cover the removal, so I went in hospital to have it under the medical insurance coverage instead. I had to stay in hospital ONE NIGHT for it to be covered. Talked with the oral surgeon, and he agreed to let me come in at 6 AM for the surgery, and stay overnight THE NIGHT AFTER. I am NOT a good patient, and saw no point in being in hospital the night before surgery when I didn't need any services, and be at home irritating Mom the first night after the surgery. It worked out quite well! I was miserable and my family didn't have to put up with me.

I don't remember any irrigation or anything like that, though!