Thread: Sandusky Ohio Folks - Info on BSL

Sandusky Ohio Folks - Info on BSL

Got this email forwarded to me. I know there are quite a few Ohio folks on this forum, so I wanted to pass the information on.

PLEASE CROSSPOST!

Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 7:32 PM
    Subject: Sandusky, Ohio - BSL (NEED TO HEAR FROM SANDUSKY RESIDENTS!!!)

Today, I met with Sandusky officials, including the City Manager, the Chief of Police, someone with the warden's office and a fourth individual. This was the first meeting I have had where the parties were completely opposed to any conversation regarding the proposed BSL. I was told by the Chief of Police that Sandusky is NOT considering reinstating the pit bull ban.

What I was told is that the proposal is to incorporate the State law into the city ordinance. The Chief then went on to say that there would be a registration process. I told her that there is no registration process under the state law and she told me she was not willing to talk about the registration that would be required. It is my opinion that Sandusky will not only be incorporating the state law into the local ordinances but will go further and be more restrictive. On a side note, when I spoke to the commissioners last week, Edmons told me that he wants to see a pit bull ban passed and that he believes other breeds should be added to the ban!

All of the Sandusky individuals in the meeting were very closed off and kept cutting me off. They would not listen and kept reiterating that they were not considering a ban. I tried to explain why breed-specific restrictions are expensive, ineffective and wholly unnecessary but it was like speaking to a brick wall.

The City Manager and the Chief of Police indicated that there is not a "pit bull problem" but a problem with dogs running off leash. The City Manager also indicated that "dog's turn" on their family. I asked him whether he meant "pit bulls" or dogs in general and he told me that all dogs turn. This is where I realized that these people do not understand dogs at all and were not thinking clearly about this subject.

The officials were saying that there's no one breed that is the problem and that all dogs "turn" on their owners but they are passing a breed-specific ordinance as a way to deal with these problems. It makes absolutely no sense. Within 20 minutes, they pretty much stopped all converstation so I got up and walked out.

What we need to do is get Sandusky residents to put pressure on the city. Obviously, there's no way to reason with these people and the only way they'll be swayed is if their constituents speak.

Please forward this to Sandusky residents and ask them to contact me. We can change this but we need people in each city/jurisdication to help.

In addition, forward this to all Ohio residents. We will be targeting each city and state representative and need constituents all over.

Thanks much,

Shana
    Shana Klein, President
    For the Love of PITS
    P.O. Box 19292
    Cleveland, Ohio 44119
    www.fortheloveofpits.org</quote>

this makes me ashamed to be associated with the same state as these morons.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..