Thread: My dog has very bad gas

My dog has very bad gas

My dog has really really bad gas. He has had it since he was a little puppy
    and it just seems to be gettng worse. I've tried purina dog food, science diet
    dog food and a few others. He such nice puppy, but he's constantly clearing the room. Does anybody have any ideas besides different food?

Most often times, bad gas is related to the food. Since you have stated you have fed the dog, science diet and Purina, I would try a better dog food. neither of theose are good quality kibble. I would try aomething like Orijen, Merrick, Canidae ect... I am sure there are others as well.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Sometimes treats can cause bad gas. Anything from pig ears, to sausage type treats, to people food. Depends on the animal. Might want to check what kind of treats the dog is getting, including checking with others in your house or your neighbors in case someone has been sneaking the dog some treats.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Yes, unless his teeth are bad - unlikely in a young pup, it probably has to do with the food he is eating. Try a simple food, like a Lamb and Rice version - switch over gradually, and see if it makes a difference.

Mabye he needs some Pepto?

Yes I would try a higher quality food, that doesn't have corn fillers. Science diet and Purina aren't very high quality. Sorry

I suggest cannidae, innova, merrick, solid gold, wellness, or chicken soup for the dog lover's soul.

Your puppy sounds adorable!
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by daisybee
    My dog has really really bad gas. He has had it since he was a little puppy
    and it just seems to be gettng worse. I've tried purina dog food, science diet
    dog food and a few others. He such nice puppy, but he's constantly clearing the room. Does anybody have any ideas besides different food?
    Have the Vet check for worms. If he has access to some delicacies in the yard like deer and squirrel doo-doo that can cause flair ups in the gas attacks.

Finally some dogs just are prone to it periodically. My Barney can be quite a little fart sometimes. But for the most part he is a nice puppy. Where as Clover is either odorless, or doesn't have as many problems.

Note on food: If the dog has high energy, no digestive problems such as diarrhea, skin allergic reactions, etc etc etc, and in general appears to be in excellent health then keep it on the same food. Constantly looking for a different or better food is looking for problems.

Try adding a tablespoon of plain yogurt to his food. Be sure it has the active cultures in it.

My dog use to get bad gas from dry kibbles. I switched to homestyle select and the bad smell was gone. I would suggest trying to switch the food, if it still doesnt go away then it could be some indigestion problems or soemthing.

We had a dog when I was growing up that would have awful gas every time we changed foods. It was particularly bad when the change was from higher to lower quality (we were a bit financially challenged at the time).

He also had some other issues that I now think involved food allergies - the whole paw-chewing thing. It was pretty bad. I asked my mom about it more recently, and she agrees that the symptoms fit for food allergies, but we never had a vet confirm it.

I do know that when I (and my now-ex) adopted a shelter dog, that feeding medium to high quality food made a huge difference in the smell - she stunk to high heaven when we adopted her (both gas and just a smell coming from her skin...like doggy B.O., even though they don't sweat!) I now feed Nutro Natural Choice and am happy with the results. I started out with the 'sensitive stomach' one - chicken and oatmeal, I think, and now I change it up between chicken/rice and lamb/rice. Belle loves all 3 flavors (was always really picky with the cheaper food-hardly ate any at all), and I haven't had any other stomach issues with her (including car-sickness, but that's probably not related). It doesn't seem to mess her stomach up at all to change between these foods, as long as I keep the quality consistent.