Thread: Please help if you can...

Please help if you can...

My dog fell down the stairs yesterday, that's not even the worse part, I didn't know any better and I could have sworn that we've done it before, but I gave my dog 2 200mg advil....thsi was last night. He was acting fine all day, no problems. My grandmother gave him 2 more later today when she got home from work...around 2 this afternoon. I took the dog to the vet thank gof for his foot and told them what I did....next thing you know the vet told me my dog was toxined from the advil. So they gave him 3 bottles of charcoal and another med i have to give him. Well since we got home @ 5:30, he threw up. Is this dose 800mg of ibuprofen toxic? Will it kill him? He has been acting fine. Can anyone help me, feel free to call me or email me or text me. I called the Emergency center and they said to call the animal poison center and they want 55 dollars to even talk to me. If i had the moneyI would do it no problem, but I don't have it! Any ideas, suggestions??

My dog is a half rotty half boxer and weighs 130 lbs. I'm hoping because he is so big it will not hurt him. Help me please.

Dave
    [email protected]
    aim-dvdhalter
    yahoo IM-halter91
    610-587-4451

Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant

Did your vet not tell you that information?????

Try these links - and CALL your vet.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_give_a_dog_ibuprofen

http://www.2ndchance.info/pain.htm (the info below is copied from there, but read the whole page)

Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid):

In 1899, the German company, Bayer, began marketing the new drug "Aspirin". Over the succeeding hundred years, aspirin became the most widely used anti-inflammatory drug in humans and dogs. It can be purchased in various forms including plain, buffered, and enteric-coated formulations as well as topical creams and rectal suppositories. It begins reducing pain in 1-2 hours after it is swallowed. Aspirin like drugs are called salicylates.
    None of them, including aspirin, were ever approved by the FDA for use in pets.

Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin, Medipren):

This is a great anti-inflammatory drug in humans but it consistently causes ulcers in dogs after 2-6 weeks of use. In dogs, it will eventually cause ulcers of the stomach as well as vomiting. At a dose low enough to not have these side effects, the drug probably does not relieve pain. I do not recommend the use of ibuprofen in pets.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I took the dog to the vet thank gof for his foot and told them what I did....next thing you know the vet told me my dog was toxined from the advil.
    yes, I did tell the vet/ She gave Max 3 bottles of charcoal and gave me 3 more which i just gave him. Also a drug called carafan. Thank you for those links, I did read them earlier, but i read some links where they say some vets prescribe ibuprofen and some say not too. thanks for the help.

Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant

Sending Hugs and good thought to you and your beautiful pup!
    Smokedog's mommy
    I've been frosted!!

If your giving him more charcoal I'd say that's why he's throwing up.
    I do hope that's all it is.

Please keep us updated on how he is.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I've used very low sdoses of aspirin with my dogs, but I've never used advil... hope he's okay. I'm not a vet, but she told you only 4 tablets over 12 hours for a 130-lb. dog poisoned him?

This is a site from our vets for info. If she gave you "carprofen", it's related to advil, same class of drugs, but for dogs. It says 1 in 1000 dogs will vomit as a side effect.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...EVetID=3001487

How's he doing now?
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

I meant - did your vet tell you 1) if Advil is safe for dogs, and 2) what the right dosage is?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by halter91
    My dog fell down the stairs yesterday, that's not even the worse part, I didn't know any better and I could have sworn that we've done it before, but I gave my dog 2 200mg advil....thsi was last night. He was acting fine all day, no problems. My grandmother gave him 2 more later today when she got home from work...around 2 this afternoon. I took the dog to the vet thank gof for his foot and told them what I did....next thing you know the vet told me my dog was toxined from the advil. So they gave him 3 bottles of charcoal and another med i have to give him. Well since we got home @ 5:30, he threw up. Is this dose 800mg of ibuprofen toxic? Will it kill him? He has been acting fine. Can anyone help me, feel free to call me or email me or text me. I called the Emergency center and they said to call the animal poison center and they want 55 dollars to even talk to me. If i had the moneyI would do it no problem, but I don't have it! Any ideas, suggestions??

My dog is a half rotty half boxer and weighs 130 lbs. I'm hoping because he is so big it will not hurt him. Help me please.

Dave
    Advil most commonly causes kidney toxicity problems, and can affect the liver. If your dog should start vomiting or urinating blood, and/or become anorexic in the next few days, then back to the Vet you go ASAP. The immediate vomiting was probably a left over response to the activated charcoal - which itself induces vomiting. The youth of the dog will help it deal with the toxicity problems. Probably a geriatric dog would have been in deep trouble with that much Advil.

P.S. Never post your email addr and phone number on the Internet, unless you want your Email spammed to death, and all kinds of nuts calling you on the phone.
    Last edited by dragondawg; 11-02-2007 at 03:54 PM.

in my experience as a nurse it is probably the charcoal that is making him vomit.
    Smokedog's mommy
    I've been frosted!!

Quote Originally Posted by dragondawg

P.S.
    Never post your email address and phone number on the Internet,
    unless you want your Email spammed to death, and all kinds of nuts calling you on the phone.
    Good Thought ...

BUT ... you posted that info a Second Time in your "Quote"!

Maybe you gould go back and edit it OUT of your "Quote" ...
    you can ALWAYS "edit" anything you "Quote".

/s/ Phred

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    Good Thought ...

BUT ... you posted that info a Second Time in your "Quote"!

Maybe you gould go back and edit it OUT of your "Quote" ...
    you can ALWAYS "edit" anything you "Quote".

/s/ Phred
    Oops! Done.

Are you sure you understood your vets instructions/diagnosis/and medications? Did you tell him/her about the Advil BEFORE they gave the Carprofen (aka Rimadyl)??

If yes on both then I'd highly recommend you seek a second opinon from another vet.

If your dog was diagnosed with a toxic dose of an NSAID (Advil) to the point of using charcoal, then why on earth would they prescribe another NSAID immediately afterwards???

We stopped using Rimadyl at our hospital several years ago because of side effects. And anytime the vets would prescribe it they always insisted the dog be off of any other type of pain reliever for at least a week before using any NSAID because of potential for drug interactions and always insisted on lab work first along with follow up lab work periodically.

Taken from Pfizer's website a copy of the drug insert for Rimadyl....
    http://www.rimadyl.com/display.asp?c...ies=CN&sec=660

Carprofen is a non-narcotic, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent with characteristic analgesic.

Carprofen is an NSAID, and as with others in that class, adverse reactions may occur with its use. The most frequently reported effects have been gastrointestinal signs. Events involving suspected renal, hematologic, neurologic, dermatologic, and hepatic effects have also been reported.

Studies to determine the activity of Rimadyl when administered concomitantly with other protein-bound or similarly metabolized drugs have not been conducted.

Rimadyl, like other drugs of its class, is not free from adverse reactions. Owners should be advised of the potential for adverse reactions and be informed of the clinical signs associated with drug intolerance.

Adverse reactions may include decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, dark or tarry stools, increased water consumption, increased urination, pale gums due to anemia, yellowing of gums, skin or white of the eye due to jaundice, lethargy, incoordination, seizure, or behavioral changes.

Serious adverse reactions associated with this drug class can occur without warning and in rare situations result in death (see Adverse Reactions). Owners should be advised to discontinue Rimadyl therapy and contact their veterinarian immediately if signs of intolerance are observed.

The vast majority of patients with drug related adverse reactions have recovered when the signs are recognized, the drug is withdrawn, and veterinary care, if appropriate, is initiated. Owners should be advised of the importance of periodic follow up for all dogs during administration of any NSAID.

All dogs should undergo a thorough history and physical examination before initiation of NSAID therapy. Appropriate laboratory tests to establish hematological and serum biochemical baseline data prior to, and periodically during, administration of any NSAID should be considered.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022