Thread: Dogs Guard Master 3 Weeks After Death

Dogs Guard Master 3 Weeks After Death

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/14467891/detail.html

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Two dogs have shown an amazing devotion to their master.

The body of Gary Lorenz was found last week surrounded by his dogs, Pippin and Merry, after he disappeared in September from his home in Cotopaxi.

Lorenz had Alzheimer's disease, KMGH-TV in Denver reported.

The golden retrievers stayed with their master, guarding his body, for at least three weeks after he died. They lost about 9 pounds each, but vets say they are healthy.

A massive search involving at least 100 people was conducted after Lorenz disappeared Sept. 29. He had taken his ATV and his two dogs over a ridge above his home. The search turned up nothing.

Officials say he died four or five days later from exposure and dehydration.

The 63-year-old retired Air Force colonel was found by a hunter Oct. 20 about four miles from his ranch in a steep and wooded area. Helicopters had missed his body when looking overhead because a tree that he was leaning on blocked their view.

Searchers had told the family they heard barking occasionally, but assumed it came from dogs at a nearby house.

The 3-year-old dogs, brother and sister, were returned home shortly after Lorenz's body was found. They were very hungry and thirsty.

Lorenz's widow told the Mountain Mail that finding the dogs was "bittersweet." She said she and her daughter were glad the dogs were found, but were upset about losing Lorenz.

"We feel the lord has been very merciful, sending them back to me," said Lorenz's widow, Sandee. "We felt the dogs were with Gary and helped him pass from this life to the next."

"Now that we have the dogs back, we feel like we've gotten a little piece of Dad back. He loved these dogs, and they loved him. They never left his side. They watched him. He was having trouble communicating with all of us, but he always seemed to be able to talk to the dogs. They were his best friends," said Deanna Lorenz, his daughter. "We are so happy to have them back to remind us of the relationship he had with them and to help my mom get through her tough weeks ahead. They will be here to comfort her."

Sandee Lorenz said the dogs were emaciated when they returned. She said she initially fed them every few hours so they wouldn't overeat.

Deanna Lorenz told a newspaper, "Merry was a little overweight before she disappeared, so we're trying to keep her about where she is now."

She told the paper she wasn't sure what the dogs were eating, other than berries, but said dogs can go for several days without water.

It helped that the dogs had each other to lean on, Sandee said.

"Pippin would never leave Gary, and Merry would never leave Pippin," she said.

After returning, Merry had a slight limp, and Pippin seemed more aggressive, the family said.

Sandee said this wasn't the first time the dogs had been lost. When they were about 6 months old, they wandered off for three days. The dogs never went out exploring again.

The family said the support they've received from the community about the dogs' return and the loss of Lorenz has been overwhelming.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Wow! That is such an amazing story. I mean, I knew dogs would do that, dogs are so loyal and amazingly wonderful. 3-weeks they protected their daddy...even in death. How sweet, bittersweet.

I bet that family was so grateful to at least have those dogs back, especially after what they did for thier dad/husband. Wow.

Thank you for sharing this.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

That happened with my Dad. I found his body in his apartment. It had been there for 4 days. His cat Tigger wouldn't let the paramedics anywhere near my dad's body. It's amazing how protective pets can be of their hoomans.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Dogs are such loyal animals. They truley are best friends. I am so gald these two people got their dogs back. I can imagine it being bittersweet, though.

That is so sad! I'm glad that the dogs can remind the family of him. They must have been of great comfort to him while he was dying. Dogs are amazing animals.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Reminds me Hachi. They even made a statue for him in Shibuya Japan.
    http://www.akitaclub.org/history/hachiko.html animals really are amazing

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

That brought tears to my eyes.

Show that to anyone who thinks animals are incapable of emotions.