Thread: Food Question

Food Question

I will update soon but I have a question for a friend of mine. She just rescued a Lab/Cocker Spaniel mix from the Humane Society and was told that Eagle Pack was good for labs. Is this true????
    Michelle

Here's the ingredient list for their Chicken and Rice formula:

Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Pork Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meals, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Menhaden Fish Oil, Carrots, Peas, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Quinoa (Organic), Blueberries, Apples, Inulin, Beta-Carotene, Cranberries, Dehydrated Kelp, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Lactobacillus acidophilus Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. subtillus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae, and Aspergillus niger.

I've never fed my dogs this food but I've heard good things from those who have. The ingredients sound fairly good.. I'd give it a go

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I've never fed it either, but I've also heard good things abou it. I prefer the ingredients in their Holistic formulas, but either way you can't really go wrong, it appears to be a decent food. I wouldn't say that it's "good for labs," persay; Good for some labs maybe, but every dog is different, and some labs might not do well on it. Just depends on the dog -- I would give it a go.
    I've been BOO'd!

I fed my dog Eagle Pack Holistic Selects Chicken and Rice for the first while. I think it's a good food although I wouldn't choose their Super Premium foods as they contain some filler. It is possible that someone suggested it for labs as, if you go on the website, a couple of testimonials state that their dogs' seizures stopped or were reduced when they started feeding Eagle Pack. Since Labs are prone to epilepsy, maybe that is the reason for the suggestion. The ingredients are good except for maybe the tomate pomace and the sugar beet pulp - the former being a filler and the latter being a source of fiber but actually used to sweeten the food. However, this food is better than a lot of foods out there. A case in point, although not about Eagle Pack, my brother's labs were on Eukanuba. One of the labs has epilepsy. I suggested to him to feed Eagle Pack but they chose Wellness instead. However, the lab's seizures have decreased. He hasn't had one in 2 months whereas he usually has one every 3 weeks. Check out the website at www.eaglepack.com - you can contact them and they can suggest a formula for your dog. I like their customer service - they will answer your question fairly promptly and thoroughly. I'm not a big fan of Wellness and if I were to choose, I'd pick Eagle Pack Holistic Selects. Also check out www.naturapet.com - Natura makes Innova and Evo which are good foods as well. Evo is a high protein, grainless food which is good for adult dogs and is kibble's answer to raw food. Innova is a food that is based on the five food groups and is made with whole foods. I like the fact that it's baked at a low temperature as opposed to extruded which can eliminate a lot of the digestive enzymes. (BTW, Eagle Pack Holistic Selects add these enzymes after cooking). I don't think there is a dog food made for a specific breed even though some companies may market their food as such. Any of the premium foods are better than the grocery store brands. Check this link out: www.dogfoodanalysis.com (cut and paste link into your web browser) Another good food is Timberwolf Organics, it's slightly more expensive than Eagle Pack and Innova but most of their products are good. Sorry to give you even more choices but you may want to rotate 3 different foods (either within the same brand name or 3 different foods altogether) to make sure your dog is getting a variety of protein sources and also to ensure that he's getting all the nutrients he needs. Keeping a variety of protein sources may help prevent your dog from becoming allergic to a certain protein. Just remember to gradually switch foods. Depending on your dog's digestive system, you can switch every bag or every 3 bags or whatever.
    "Take a dog and make him prosperous, he won't bite you. That is the principal difference between a dog and man." - Mark Twain