From the Ashtabula APL.
Ashtabula, OH

PLEASE CROSSPOST

There is a misconception among some people that the Ashtabula APL is a no-kill shelter. In fact, dogs with treatable medical and behavioral issues have to be euthanized when we are so crowded, due to not having the resources to help them.

But we are not just seeking rescue for the dogs with issues. Any dog we can move makes space for another one to stay a little longer.

And omigosh, yes, we have cats too! So many cats.

I really can not stress enough how desperate the situation is at Ashtabula right now. I'm forbidden to give details, but please just believe me....we have to get dogs out *now* . Please contact me at [email protected] (dawn.shimp at gmail dot com) if you can help.

For the month of October we've allowed all dogs to go to rescue or adoption for just $25. Technically this deal ends Wednesday, but they're letting me continue to offer it to rescues through this weekend, since it can be hard for rescues to get dogs during the week. So, through this weekend all dogs over 6 months (excluding papered purebreds, which we never get anyway since almost all of our dogs are strays) can go to rescue for only $25. These are fully vetted, altered dogs, UTD on shots, HW tested and current on flea and heartworm preventative.
Of couse our normal rescue vetting rate of $75 for full vetting is not such a bad deal either

Please let me know if there are dogs you would like more info on. I'll do anything I can to find out if a dog would work in your program. I always reply to rescue inquiries within 24hrs (usually much quicker) so if you happen to not get a response please ask me again....I've been having some problems with my email program. Or, since desperate times call for desperate measures, call my cell: 216.337.5418 (but please only if you don't get a prompt email reply...I live in the middle of nowhere and calls are expensive).

Transport help is available. Ashtabula County is in the far NE corner of Ohio, so we can easily arrange transport to Canada and the Northeast.

We could also desperately use volunteers both local and virtual to spread the word on our dogs and get them out of the shelter. Please contact me at (dawn.shimp at gmail dot com) if you can help. I'd also love to hear from anyone with ideas on how to increase our stray reclaim rate, which hovers around 1% We are now listing unaltered dogs and cats on Petfinder. If you are interested in an animal whose description says it is not yet available, please let me know and I can get the animal on the surgery schedule as soon as possible.