Thread: My Dog ate a key

My Dog ate a key

Hi, I'm new here. I stumbled across the forum a little while ago and have done some lurking. Now I have a question. My 7 month old puppy is quite the escape artist and learned how to open her cage. We put a lock with a key on the latch to keep it shut. We have been keeping the key in the lock, thinking she wouldn't be able to turn the key. Today, when I went to get her out of her cage, the key was missing, and just the little silver chain was sitting inside her cage. I'm afraid she somehow knocked the key loose and ate it because I can't find it anywhere. Any thoughts on whether she will just pass it, if she ate it. Could the key be made from a toxic metal? Could it cause serious injury? The key was silver.

Thanks.

you should really call a vet. if she ate the key it could get stuck and cause a blockage, which would not be good.

Oh I yes I agree with humm on take this baby to see the Vet.. Poor wittle puppy.. Sounds like your puppy is a lot of fun & funny.. Welcome to PT & enjoy all the talks & pictures..
    Quote Originally Posted by humm
    you should really call a vet. if she ate the key it could get stuck and cause a blockage, which would not be good.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Please take him to the vet!!! Keys can dissolve in their stomach and it won't be good!!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

A key is a sharp object that can cause internal bleeding! PLEASE take your pup to the vet.

Oh, dear! I'll definitely call the vet in the morning. I haven't seen the key make a reappearance, if she even ate it. I really think she must have since it's nowhere to be found. Thanks for your opinions. I'll let you know what happens.

Well, it's better safe then sorry! Thanks for calling the vet. He'll probably take an x-ray. I hope there really isn't a problem but I think it's important to solve it early then have a bigger or worse problem later.

Call your vet ASAP my friends Pug ate a penny years ago and died two days later because of the acid the penny released i believe, if she told me corectly.
    Biscotties, the perfect companion for your latte.
    I love my girls Nena & Lola, there just perfect.