Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: California is on fire again.

How scary. Hope you and the kids are safe, Craig! We're thinking of all the Californians.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I cut my business trip short and flew back into San Diego at 4:00 this afternoon...that was one of the scariest things I'd ever seen and done. Tubulance coming into land was horrible and you just saw a line of fire and smoke all the way up and down the area of San Diego, with numerous fires burning.

Where I live was evacuated about 30 minutes before I landed. I caught up with my roomates and they're all okay. They got the cats to a boarding facility, I have Bear staying with a friend near the ocean, and the other 3 dogs with me at a friends closer inland. Figured that will do for tonight and in the morning I'll figure out what's going on and what I need to do from there. With any luck they'll let me go home!

Best wishes to all those in So Cal, stay safe.

I'm so glad to see some posts from the PT members out there in harms way~ Like everyone else, I've watched the News and I've read the articles~

Your pictures and your reports brought me just bit closer, How SCARY!!!!!!!

We're all thinking and Praying for Southern California
    Rest in Peace Corinna~ Well Never Forget You~

I"VE BEEN FROSTED

I came across this in a FOX NEWS report on the people who have evacuated to Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego,

Most people seemed happy for the free food and drink. A Hyatt hotel catered one buffet, offering chicken with artichoke hearts and capers in cream sauce, jambalaya and shredded-beef empanadas.

I have to smile about that.

In typical Cah Lee Fuh Nee Ah fashion - we will not feed our evacuees canned, packaged or survival style meals - It's bean sprouts, low carb, low fat and low sodium for our huddled masses.

It's the only place in the world where you will gain weight during a disaster!

I do have to say that if the report had made any mention of TOFU or LATTE
    I would not have blinked.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Oct...alcomm,00.html

All in all, I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world.

Well, maybe I would, but where else would I have a muscle bound movie star-
    that cannot pronounce the name of the state he's in charge of - come to the aid of the people?

--------------------

Everyone accounted for and safe in our neck of the woods.

Thanks for the thoughts!

I have been watching news reports of this terrible situation.

Last evening, I received a few emails fromt he admin office of the bichon rescue group I voluteer with. (Administration is in Oklahoma.) We have bichon foster homes in the evacuation area, some of these people have 5 and 6 dogs and are having difficulties finding safe places! It must be so difficult when you have to worry about spouse kids and pets OMG!

It's something I never really considered as I moved up to 12 pets in the house.

Prayers for all of you PT'ers that you can relocate to safe places with all your pets!

I sure hope that everyone will stay safe. My brother and his wife and 3 kids live in San Diego and I sure hope that they're doing okay. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent out to everyone. Please take care.

Checking in from Orange County, CA. The Irvine fire was abut 10 miles from my company, so we had to close yesterday due to heavy smoke. Today it's much better.

I heard on the news that there are 20 different wild fire in Ca at one point. In San Diego, more than 500 houses were burned to dust. Hopefully the fires will be contained soon, and no more damages will be done.

Thanks ~Jessie~

8. I just spoke with my partner who had to evacuate her home due to the Irvine fire. She told me of the wild animals....deer, coyotes, etc....running down the hills in advance of the fire. Where will they go????

Just checking on California PT'ers ... I was listening to the news last night on my car radio, driving in the rain, and there were reports of heavy rain in New Orleans. California is too dry and NOLA is too wet. I wish they could cancel each other out somehow.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

All I can do from SC is pray for all of those in harm's way in CA. We don't have rain now, but we have had some the last two days. We needed it, but I would rather have it out there with the fires.

I"m so glad you are all safe, so far. Please keep our old friend, Jackie, and her family (in San Diego) in your prayers. Her husband has been ill. As of this morning, they are ok, but are waching the reports, closely.

Logan

Praying for all of our PT members in Southern California...
    Logan, how is Jackie? I was thinking about her just the other day... How are Perry & Daisy? I will be keeping her husband in my prayers!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    I just spoke with my partner who had to evacuate her home due to the Irvine fire. She told me of the wild animals....deer, coyotes, etc....running down the hills in advance of the fire. Where will they go????

That really makes you wonder, doesn't it? > so sad for these poor wild creatures <

I have often wondered, if I had 30mins. to evacuate, WHAT would I gather up and take?????

Hmmmm........ interesting..............

What would/do you take???
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Quote Originally Posted by Catsnclay
    That really makes you wonder, doesn't it? > so sad for these poor wild creatures <

I have often wondered, if I had 30mins. to evacuate, WHAT would I gather up and take?????

Hmmmm........ interesting..............

What would/do you take???
    I got to do it twice yesterday .

From my house with the mandatory evacuation I grabbed my home insurance policy, my bank statements, my two check books, Frankie's crate, her bed, her food, a lot of bottled water, a sleeping bag and a pillow. I also keep my camping gear in two totes, one for the tent and camp supplies and the other for the kitchen and cooking supplies, so I put those in the back of my truck in case I couldn't find a place to stay. All in all I was out of the house in under 20 minutes.

From my parent's house, they were out of town, I grabbed the home insurance, classic car insurance, Riley's crate, her bed, her food, Bailey's cage, her food, Jasper's travel carrier, her food, more water, all the pictures that I knew were irreplaceable to my parents, and my mom's jewelry. I was out of their house in about 30 minutes.

After the fires died down early yesterday evening I began the process of moving the classic cars from my parent's house to a friends house a ways north of us. Luckily they were able to gather a few drivers and we moved them all at once, except mine which wouldn't start due to a low battery. All in all I think everything was successful. Got the important things on the first trip out and then came back for the important but still replaceable things of value.

Right now we're just trying to stay out of the ash and smoke. The fire seems content to burn a couple miles south of us, but I guess it's moving slowly north of the mall right now. Luckily we have full air support for the first time and it seems like things are better today. The fires are still not contained at all, so it's a waiting game. My parents have people at their house and I have my roommates evacuated families and pets at mine, so hopefully our area won't get evacuated again.

I hope everyone else has had a bit of time to breathe safely and isn't in, or hasn't been in immediate threat due to the fires. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we all come out of this covered in ash and nothing more severe.

A little hint about what to take if yor have to go.

The CPU on the computer is paramount. Don't eff around with the monitor or keyboard. I saw some people with speakers, keyboards and monitors in their arms. You can get those anywhere.....the info on the hard drive is what you want.

I have two boxes, Edward's sleeping hangout, on my desk. THey are filled with all the important papers.

I grab his arse, toss him in his cage and then the boxes go. It's all I need.

-----------------------------

It's hot and dry here in the valley. The sunshine is orange tinged...

The sound of helicopters has kept me up all night long. WHUPWHUPWHUP.

I am pretty good at knowing who is who for a long time. I can tell the Bell Rangers from the Firehawks from the Hueys. But it's almost scheduled now.

The Firehawk pilots usually fly over the house and make a lazy right hand spiral to the pad. The wind has forced them to approach from the south and plop straight in.

I don't mind the Fire choppers, it's the dang news flights.

Two TV stations fly out of the small airport.....They run their engines for about 20 minutes before they take off.....theirs is a noisy high pitched turbine engine that grates on the nerves after a few.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

I've been glued to the tv all day.
    Prayers that the winds will stop and rain will come.
    This is so sad.