Thread: Fence Jumper

Arrow Fence Jumper

Howdy All!
    Alphaskunk here......My Goldie Lox will not let a vehicle drive
    into my driveway without jumping my 4' fence to get a good
    gander at who has driven up. She's the most loving dog in the
    world and I think she's trying to protect me. I have a tether and
    a large backyard...but I feel it's not right to stake her out.
    I need to be trained in handling her correctly. Any suggestions
    are greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance for your replies.
    Alphaskunk
    P.S. I've bought books but they don't address the issue.

I had this problem with Sierra.
    It was hard to train her because we couldn't catch her in the act because she would never jump over the fence when someone was looking.
    Unfortunately.... what worked was a shock collar.

I hated every second that thing was on her, but it's been a few years since she's even had it on. It was the remote type.
    We'd let her out and watch her from inside the house.

Something you can try would be the tilt in's that fences have on the top.
    (in most cases, the tilt in part of the fence has barbwire on it, but you can use chicken wire)

Please know that I am NOT telling you to use a shock collar, I cried a lot when we started using it on her.
    (it was mostly my husband’s choice to use the collar.)

If your dog will jump the fence with you around, I'd tie a leash to her and correct her when you see she is thinking about jumping.

If you have a behaviorists or trainer in your area, it might be a good idea to talk to them.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Can you raise the fence? Four foot is low for a dog fence, IMO.

When we got the first dog last Dec., we put in a 6 foot fence; not to keep the dogs in (they are bichons) but to keep the coyotes OUT. Have to consider what is the purpose of the fence and then determine the height.

I am attaching a photo so you can see the type fence we used. I think this is something you could add at the top of a current fence (although I don't know what type fence you have now.) We bought the stuff at Home Depot, not too expensive. IT is green, plastic coated wire. (The cahin link fence along the back is not ours.) And Alphaskunk will STILL be able to see out to see who it is. Just one idea.

When you consider some of the horrible alternatives, a shock collar doesn't seem that bad. We've all heard of dogs hanging themselves by there collars when trying to go over fences. And once they're out of the fence, there are even more dangers.

If you cant be there to watch all the time, you can use an invisible fence system. You would run the wire along your existing fence. There is a long training process when using an invisible fence system and you must take the time to follow it, but when done correctly these systems work great.

I solved the problem by adding light weight fencing to the top of my fence. I screwed 2 foot pieces of lath (narrow wood strips) to the chain link posts and strung the fencing loosely between them. When the dogs tried to jump the fence, it was too high. When they tried to climb it, they collapsed back into the yard.

A 4 foot fence will contain small dogs, but isn't expected to contain a Golden. Without raising the fence height, I would always be anxious that she could jump it.