Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guinea Pigs and Rabbits together?

Guinea Pigs and Rabbits together?

I have heard many people saying that you can house guinea pigs and rabbits together. On the other hand I have heard reallly bad stories of what has happened housing guinea pigs and rabbits together. I wanted some peoples opinions. I have a guinea pig now and I wanted to get a rabbit to keep her company. (maybe I should just get her another guinea pig )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180229.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	37675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180243.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	37676  
    Last edited by i love my piggy; 10-09-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Personally, I wouldn't house a rabbit and a guinea pig together. Rabbits have incredibly strong back legs and although they may not mean to harm a piggy, it is easy for them to do so.

However, in the past I have had a rabbit and piggy together, but they were introduced when they were both babies and bonded well. Sadly my piggy had to be put to sleep at a young age, but the bunny could well have caused an injury as she would have been twice the size of the piggy.

What do other PT's think?
    Mandy

Kittycats_delight (Michelle) thanks for the great signature!

Never house them together! I had 2 girl Piggies.. they loved each other. They Do best with there own Kind. They both have different wants/needs when it comes to a companion. And they tend to get at each other more. ALSO, Rabbits get illnesses that piggies don't normally,and they can make each other sick. Just get another piggie. If you want a rabbit, you will have to house it on it's own.

Thanks for your replies!!! I think I will get another piggy instead! (one other question, is it OK for piggies and rabbits to play together )

Yes, they can play together, if they are intro., early enough, But I would never house them together.

my piggy is almost 2 years old...is that too late
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Your piggy is adorable.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy
    Your piggy is adorable.
    Thanks, she is awesome...i'll try to get some more pics of her!

No, it's not too late to introduce a friend to her, just proceed carefully. And I'd stick with another guinea pig, just to be safer.

Thanks your replies have helped me make a desicion! I definately will get another piggy, and maybe a rabbit in a seperate cage. (sorry, another question would it be better to get two rabbits as companions? )

Quote Originally Posted by i love my piggy
    Thanks your replies have helped me make a desicion! I definately will get another piggy, and maybe a rabbit in a seperate cage. (sorry, another question would it be better to get two rabbits as companions? )
    Yes, as lon as you have enough room for an cage big enough.
    Pros:
    • They will provide compainionship for each other
    • Twice the fun!
    Cons:
    • more cost
    • more space required
    • more often cage cleanings
    With the info i have just provided you should be able to make an choice. Also, make sure to get 2 female or 2 males so that way they wont breed unless thats what you intend.

Here is another picture of cinnamon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	37678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	37679  

how cute, and i would go ahead and get another guinea pig instead of aa rabbit.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I have house guinea pigs with my Rabbit for years and never had an issue, however my Rabbit is also very calm, and adores guinea pigs. I would no reccomend it for just any rabbit and piggies, but I know mine did great together so is certainly CAN work.

Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

What a pretty Pig, such lovely markings! I miss my girls! :-( I named them Hugs and Kisses. They were a V-Day Pressie from my hubby.