Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the women in their 40's

Question for the women in their 40's

Hopefully I scared all the men away and if I didn't I apolize...

I started having issues a few months ago so I scheduled an exam, I have had a period for 4 weeks and feel a pressure down there sometimes.

I went in to the appointment and the doctor said they needed to do a biopsy, this is a sign of uterine cancer. This scared me to death and the procedure was quite painful, I had it done once before while going through infertility. My uteris is enlarged, the doctor said it is most likely fibroid but I am concerned.

They have ordered an ultrasound for next week.

Anyone else go through this? It sucks getting old!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I have experienced the extra-long period, not the other symptoms, though. In my case, they did an ultrasound, saw one smallish fibroid, but nothing major, and it was eventually determined the extra bleeding was caused by my weight, which was causing my body to have too much estrogen.

I am 45 now, but when I was 42, I flowed for 17 weeks ( ) in a row! My OBGYN did an ultrasound, then a biopsy. (My family has a history of fibroids and polyps and all 4 of my sisters had to have a hysterectomy in their early 40's.)

They determined that my hormones were messed up. I was taking birth control pills at the time. They gave me a pill (can't remember what it was, sorry) to control the bleeding. I took it when I was taking the placebos in the bc pack. It took a few months to completely stop, but it eventually did. During that time, it was more spotting than anything else.

I feel for you, flowing for that length of time is awful! I hope that your OBGYN can figure out what the problem is and get it fixed.
    Proud Meowmie of Sasha

RIP sweet Tabitha, my heart kitty. You are loved and missed every day. 1988 - 2010

Thanks for the info Karen and Donna. She said it did feel like fibroids to her. It just seemed to come on so suddenly, I never even have cramps.

Karen I am overweight that is part of why I am scared, that extra dose of estrogen can cause uterine cancer.

I need to lose weight! ugggg

I have been frosted!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I'm 47 myself. I haven't experienced any problems so far, but my younger sister has had fibroid issues for quite some time. Her doctor says she fits the 4F profile. Fat, Forty, Fertile, and Female
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98
    I'm 47 myself. I haven't experienced any problems so far, but my younger sister has had fibroid issues for quite some time. Her doctor says she fits the 4F profile. Fat, Forty, Fertile, and Female
    Well I don't know how fertile I am but I fit all the other F's!

I have been frosted!

When I was 45 I had the period to end all periods.. poured, pressure and all that you described. I went to the doctor only because New Years (and would have been about the 6th week of it) was coming up and I didn't want to be bothered with it for New Years Eve. I knew what it was.. I had already started having the hot flashes. That was my last period!

Of coarse that OB-Gyn tried to argue with me and tell me I was just much to young for menopause and when I disagreed he asked me WHO was the doctor?! I never went back to see that jerk again.

It was my last real period. 45-55 is the age, average age is 51 but it really depends on your family history. My Mom had started in her mid 30's with menopause so I figured I was just late in starting but I did not fit the text book cases at that time... according to that doctor.

To me they are all to quick to want that biposy and I have refused to have them done after having heard several womens experienced with them. One lady told me it was so painful that she passed out when it was done to her... Don't get me wrong here, I would be quick to have it done if I thought something was wrong but I never have felt anything was wrong.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I have had uterine cancer. I'm at work now so I can't be here long. I feel like I have so much to say but then again I don't really know what to say.

Just keep trying to figure out what the problem is. My doctor was not one that liked to do the tests real quick. It was either my 3rd or 4th appt. that she finally decided I should have a biopsy done. I don't remember the biopsy being painful. It kind of hurt and that is all I remember. She did give me a pill to take before I came in to relax me though. My results came back as cancer.

Try not to worry too much. My advice right now is that if the results come back as cancer and you have a complete hysterectomy make sure that when they do that surgery that they also go ahead and do a lymph node disection. After my hysterectomy was done they sent the parts off to the labs and it was full of cancer so then I had to go back in and have another surgery (lymph node discection) which didn't turn out so well. My doctor was very upset with herself that she didn't go ahead and do it when she went in to remove everything. She didn't realize how bad it was.

Also, seek out support groups. Talk and talk and talk about it!

2 surgeries and 5 1/2 weeks of radiation and I am here and healthy.

BTW....I was 38 when I was diagnosed and they kept saying I was too young. Every cancer doc I saw always said that. It got to the point where I didn't know what I was supposed to say to that...lol. I was overweight but completely healthy.

I didn't realize you went through all that Robilee {{hugs}} you have been through a lot. Thanks for sharing your story.

I have been frosted!

Caseysmom,

I've had fibroids since I was 18. They are the reason why I had a hysterectomy.

They are always benign, according to my doctor. Just the pain (annoyance, that is) of having to have them removed can get on your nerves. At 45 I said, remove the plumbing!!! I do NOT miss all that stuff.

Anyway, getting back on track here, you'll be in my prayers honey. Please keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I had a complete hyst. at 52 for fibroids. I didn't have any of the usual symptoms, just lower back pain & my poor bladder was being squished all the time. You know what - I have never felt better! I'm so glad I followed through.

Check this out - it's a wonderful site. Lots of topics & info, & support chats. You're bound to find others dealing with the same things:

www.hystersisters.com

Will keep you on my prayer list - hope you have some answers soon-
    Pat

I am sort of happy to have a hyterectomy I will be glad to be done with it and get 8 weeks off from work!

How long were you unable to drive after your hysterectomies?

I have been frosted!

caseysmom - sent you a PM
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The period that wouldn't quit happened to me twice, once at 39 and once at 41. Both times I was under a lot of stress. The GYN put me on The Pill both times for a few months; this "reset" my hormones. (I had had exams and ultrasound, and a sample taken; no unusual findings.)

Good luck, and I hope you feel better!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I wasn't worried because I also figured it was stress...but the doc felt something so I am sure its fibroids.

I have been frosted!