Thread: Help with Male Spraying

Help with Male Spraying

If anyone has any suggestions on how to stop, or at least reduce spraying in male kitties, I would greatly appreciate it. I will say that vinegar is about the only thing that will neutralize the odor. I have a VERY spoiled chocolate point siamese boy who tends to spray when he doesn't get his way, or his idea of life is not what it ought to be. He is a year and a half old. Thank you for any suggestions you may have!
    Mary
    [email protected]

I assume he's neutered; if not, that will help. Also, I've been recommending a prescription drug called Clomicalm that I have 4 of my cats on. No accidents since they started taking it. Very inexpensive, low dosage does the trick, ask your vet about it. As for odor and stain removal, Urine Gone, an enzyme. You can get it at Bed Bath and Beyond or just about anywhere. Follow directions precisely and it works wonders. Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be. I was ready to send mine to the moon!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thank you

Thank you so much for the suggestions! We are headed to the vet on Monday so I have already put it on the list of things to discuss. My kids all go to Texas A&M Small Animal Clinic, so I know they will have all the latest info. I really can't thank you enough! Maybe I can get some peace around here. It gets tough trying to keep up with him, not to mention we have a 5 month old baby too, that I wind up washing all his stuff all the time since my Zzeus boy is jealous of him too.
    Bless you!
    Mary

Forgot to mention: several PTers use a product that you can get in pet stores called Feliway. There's a spray that you can spray lightly on a cat's collar and there's a plug-in that you put in a wall socket, too. It's supposed to calm a cat down. Personally, I've not seen success w/it but others have, so you might want to give that a try, too. It's expensive, though. Hope that helps. Let us know how it's going.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Welcome to PT. I also recently had some urine marking and inappropiate peeing problems. I have 6 cats and I had to add 3 more litterboxes. I also bought some cat attract litter. I added it on top of the old litter that I had been using and it worked right away. You can buy this at Petsmart or many place online.
    I've also been using the feliway plugins and spray for almost 3 months now and it has helped a lot. My oldest is the alpha cat and he has some aggression problems so he's now on an herbal supplement that I hope will work for him. I tried him on the clomicalm but he eventually became immune to it so it didn't work any more. You may also want to ask your vet about prozac. Good luck. I know how frustrating this situation can be.

Sometimes spraying is seasonal. Our cats go crazy when the weather turns nice and we open the window. They can smell when all the neighborhood cats come up and mark the bushes at the front of our house. Thanks guys

Also, it may be a personality thing. I grew up with a nervous cat. He had a tendency to spray when things upset him. Oftentimes he would miss the cat box, but he had problems and that's a whole other issue.

My sister's cat, a neutered female, also sprays out of frustration. She talked to a cat psychic in Chapel Hill, NC and was advised to put in a cat door so Chloe could go in and out during the day while she is at work. You may want to figure out what frustrates him and accommodate him as best you can. That smell can be unlivable. Good luck.
    my massage blog: Fingertips

Our Nicholas(neutered and 11 yrs old)is on transdermal Prozac since July for spraying. It has been successful! And adding extra litter boxes is a good idea. Cats are rather particular about how clean their boxes are!! Good luck with your boy!!
    Nine is Fine!!