Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death of a Mouse ... perhaps the world's dumbest mouse, but still a mouse

Death of a Mouse ... perhaps the world's dumbest mouse, but still a mouse

My 'new' cottage is very near fields and vineyards and I was warned that autumn brings wild mice and rats to the homes around here. Last year, I saw nothing, and was a bit smug thinking that Cassy and Livvy, or at least the scent of them, was keeping the critters away.

Earlier this week, neighbors on every side were complaining of heavy infestations this year, and again, nada in the cottage that I could see. Then a couple hours ago I heard a freaky noise near the kitty litter pans and looked to see what the cats were up to this time. No cat in sight, but an athletic mouse was attempting a high wire act above the pans on a power cord for the kitty water fall! I shrieked and started planning an oh-dark-thirty raid on a hardware store to get mouse traps, dozens of them. Cassy strolled through, totally oblivious to my panic. Shortly thereafter Livvy had a little flurry of activity in the litter pan corner and, by George, came out with a mouse in her mouth. She was so very happy and thrilled with her 'toy'. Rather quickly the mouse quit moving and quit being fun. I scootched the body into a tin coffee can and threw a tuna feast for the kitties.

I apologize to mice lovers here, but I am proud of my tiny huntress' totally unexpected prowess.
    Last edited by AmberLee; 09-29-2007 at 01:11 AM. Reason: correct typo.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Looks like you've got the best kind of mousetraps...ones that can cuddle with you too

They probably thought you got that rat just for THEM!! Mine would have a ball with one in my house! EEEEEEK!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

ha ha, that sure was a "feasty meal"

poor mousie...
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Years ago when I had only 4 cats (seems like decades ago; wait, it was decades ago), I heard little paws scuffling frantically through the house and I knew that I had to get out of bed and see what the commotion was all about. Some brave but dumb little mouse had gotten into the house and my fur posse decided that it would be more fun to play w/it than eat it. When I found them all, they were gathered in a circle and batting that poor little thing around like a pin pall machine. Just as I stepped in to rescue it, Boo grabbed it and took off running. I trapped him in the upstairs bathroom but, boy, he wasn't willing to let that mouse go. I finally got him to drop it, then I took the mouse outdoors and after examining him to make sure he hadn't been fatally injured (there wasn't a mark on him; my fur posse is good), placed him on the ground so that he could scurry away but he was so petrified that he couldn't move. So there I was, in the middle of the night, sitting outdoors, holding a mouse telling him "it's ok, you're safe now, go home to mommy". So I can sympathize w/ya, believe me. At that time we lived on 5 acres in farm country, so mice were always around but they were at least smart enough not to venture into the cat hotel. Be prepared for more of the same.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Livvy wants a new sign over her boudoir: MIGHTY WARRIOR!

Chestnut caught his first mouse out in the back yard last year -- on his EIGHTH birthday!!! He was so proud, strutting aroudn with that poor wriggly thing in his mouth. He tried to bring it in the house! We stopped him, but he let it go int he garage. The antics which followed involved 3 more cats getting into the garage and helping with the chase. We finally got them all back in the house, left the door open and let the mouse calm down and find his own way out.

Now, Chestnut routinely goes and sits where he caught the mouse,w aiting for another one. So don't be surprised if Livvy starts hanging out in that corner!

Hmmmm sounds like another little girl I know and love Mice, squirrels don't have a chance when Eve is around She loves to catch them and play with them (fortunately doesn't eat them ) - taking her outside is always an adventure!

Well done Livvy - you are one mighty hunter
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

I Remember When I Moved In , That The Neighbors Told Me That That House Had Mice As It Had Sat Empty For 6 Months, And Mice Like Empty Houses.
    Well With Barn Cats Michael And Princess That Didnt Last Too Long As The Mice Soon Got The Message.
    And Then When Tiger Visited It Was Lights Out For The Mice.
    I Remeber Seeing My Princee Playng With Something With Mr Scrappy Watching And I Picked It Up Thinnking It Was A Toy!!!
    Eek It Was A Dead Mousie.
    Princess Got It Back Fast!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Bravo...Bravo!!!!!

Let's hear it for Livvy the slayer of monsters!...The rescuer of meowmies!!!! The mighty huntress...

Yaay! Livvy is fulfilling her natural role as a predator: eliminating the slow and stupid mice!

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

I'm glad to hear that Livvy is a good mouser. Now hopefully you won't find any more mice in your cottage.

When my parents still had their cat, they told me that she would bring them presents of mice, baby rats, and birds. Well one time she brought them a mouse but it was still very much alive. She dropped it inside in the den which is connected to the kitchen. My dad couldn't catch it in time and it went behind the refrigerator. It took several days before they finally caught the mouse. Their cat was no help.

Funny stories!

KAK, you reminded me -- ages ago, when my sister and her husband were getting married on the ranch our parents were caretakers on, their mighty hunter, Oliver, delivered his present to the front door of the ranch house. A live garter snake. I was nervous around him for days after, wondering what he was up to this time.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Got this today on my Daily Bad Cat email and thought of Livvy:

Requiem for a Rodent
    O mouse, so filling yet dietetic
    You make me feel quite copasetic.
    I hate to do this without anesthetic
    But it’s much too late to call a medic

Quote Originally Posted by kitten645
    Got this today on my Daily Bad Cat email and thought of Livvy:

Requiem for a Rodent
    O mouse, so filling yet dietetic
    You make me feel quite copasetic.
    I hate to do this without anesthetic
    But it’s much too late to call a medic

Hee, hee, hee!

Clever girl, Livvy! It is good to keep your meowmie safe!

I remember when our Samantha was really young, Alec was trying to play with her with a toy mouse, but she just would not engage with it. In fact, she looked at it with utter disdain, then ran out of the catflap. A few minutes later she came running back in with this enormous creature in her jaws, as if to say "now this is a mouse!"
    Last edited by Killearn Kitties; 10-02-2007 at 04:59 PM.