Thread: Small intestinal disease? Updated

Small intestinal disease? Updated

What do you know about small intestinal disease in cats? My vet just left me a message with the remaining test results for Magic and she said that the results are indicitive of this disease. I just called her back and left her message so I am waiting here very anxiously.

I just got off the phone with the vet and she said that magic probably has IBD and Pancreatitus (sp?) However, the only way to find out for sure is if Magic has a biopsy which I am not really thrilled about at all. Magic is 10 yrs. old and I really do not want to put her under unless really necessary. I'm hoping to control this with meds and diet. I am bringing her back to the vet this Sat. for another check up and probably a steriod shot.

I am still facing a huge dilemma with food choices. I think anything fish flavored causes Magic's flareups. Are there any other hypo allergenic foods I should be aware of?
    Last edited by fragrancehound; 09-27-2007 at 04:54 PM.

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

You sure are having a rough time with your cats!!! Irritable Bowel Disease can be controlled with drugs. Our Norton(15)has it when he first came to live with us in 1993. He was given sulfusalazine(sp)then and that clear the IBD up! Pancreatitis can be treated with Baytril. I bet the vet will put Magic on I/D canned, a bland diet. GOOD LUCK!!
    Nine is Fine!!

KAK had this problem with Starr. She wound up taking both her cats to a holistic vet.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=131858

I'm not saying you need to go to a holistic vet too, but PM her. She might have some really good advice.

Good luck, little Magic!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I've been thinking about taking her to a holistic vet but right now I just can't afford it. The last 2 weeks have been such a financial nightmare between vet bills, a car repair bill and now my computer being at the shop. I swear there are times I think it can't get worse but don't you know it does!!

I was looking online ar various holistic hypoallergenic cat foods that contain unique protein sources and I can't get over how expensive they are and how hard they are to find. Many of them are priced at $1.79+ per can and not many brick and mortar stores carry them. Ugh. that would be at least $30+ a week. Who the hell could afford that kind of price tag?

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

I'm just saying that KAK might be able to give you some tips that won't cost the earth.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda