Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stress in our lives - a time to share

Stress in our lives - a time to share

I am putting this in the Dog House because I don't know where else to put it. It is not pet related, for the most part....and I suspect it is too personal to find a better place for it.

This is a message about stress in our lives. I know most everyone has it. I have been stressed to the max in the last year and one half and have been hanging on by my fingernails (well, it feels like it anyway)....

I just want to acknowledge everyone out there, who is or has been stressed to the max. It is such a difficult time and seems endless. Each of us, will, hopefully find some help and get through these times. I sense that each one of us, stressed or not, has our work cut out for us.

I am hoping that this thread will serve as a place to share some of the stresses, not that we don't in other threads. I will list a few of mine, just to let you know that I can be open and frank and that I too need help from time to time. I am not perfect.

1. My brother became very sick last Oct. and died in Nov. He was an important person in my life.
    2. My 86 yr. old mother moved in with me last year, fell in June, broke her hip, went to a nursing home and then moved back in with me, but to a downstairs apartment, in September. I am now her caretaker.
    3. Work is horrible, I work with insane people, for the most part. I need a new job. I have a history of working for insane people.
    4. I broke my ankle in Jan. 07 - surgery....etc. while taking care of my mom and working. I still have issues with it.
    5. Miley, my cat was put down in August.
    6. Denver, my sick bunny died this month.
    7. I turned 59 this month. I want to retire.
    8. My sister stopped talking to me while at my brother's funeral because I asked her to show up sober. I admitted to her that I thought she had a serious drinking problem. She disowned me. Told me to consider her out of my life too, along with my brother. At this point I have no one but my mother who has dementia.
    9. I have had major league depression and anxiety and have been doing the counseling thing.
    10. I still want to retire. And of course, money is an issue.

So there, now you all know why I am cranky some times and vent at the wrong time.

I know we all have our history and issues. Mine are probably very minor compared to someone with the sick child or sick spouse.

Thanks for listening.

What a time you have had, what a year!

I'm not sure if you are venting or looking for ideas? Or maybe both.

Life gets overwhelming at times, and things have steered themselves your way a bit TOO much. UGH! Sympathy, from RI.

Wow! YOu have had a rough time! I have noticed in life that there are rocky times that really seem like everything is working against you. I had a snap like that in my life right after I got my divorce when my car broke down and a lot of other things happened and I told a friend that I felt like I was being tested or prepared for something. Sure enough, my son died then 6 weeks later, my step Dad died. I turned to God for strength and I guess I passed because it has been smooth ever since.

This could be a test for you so hang in there. This time will pass and there should be a lot of sunny days for you ahead!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

And I was feeling a bit sorry for myself Compared to what you are coping with I have no problems at all - excuse me while I nip off to count my blessings and to say a quick prayer for you
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

(((HUGS))) 59 is much to early to give up on life's possibilities. Must
    you be the one to care for your mom without any other help from family
    members? It sure sounds like you are due for some positive changes in
    your life & I hope they come soon.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you for the thread and for your thoughts and empathy towards others going through hardship and stress despite going through a tremendous amount yourself. I admire that, as I know for myself I sometimes get so caught up in my own stresses I don't even feel I have the 'energy' mentally to think about the stresses others are going through.

I've just had the most difficult 2 years in my life. In this past year my husband decided he wanted a divorce, his family cut me off immediately and I did not see or hear from them again, I still had to spend a year in the same house with him as an upstairs/downstairs "roommate" situation because I had no where else to go and neither of us could afford the house alone at the time, I started working two jobs and 12+ hour days. I got a puppy (before I knew I'd be moving), my puppy got malignant cancer at the age of 6 months. I took on a mortgage on my own so I could keep my babies and move closer to my family, leaving everything I have known for the past 11 years and going to an area I have never been in with a higher cost of living (my mom and stepdad moved to this area originally after I moved to MN so this is not the area I grew up in).

There are a lot of good things too, but it's just been so much. Now I feel so tired. So incredibly tired right now it's hard to function, hard to think. I know it will smooth out though, and God has done a lot for me, and I have been blessed with friendships I treasure deeply.
    Last edited by K9soul; 09-25-2007 at 11:55 AM. Reason: clarification
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

prayers for k9soul and sasvermont and (HUGS)

I don't know whether to call these stressors or prayer requests - I guess they're both:

-family business (which I don't work with) is slowly but very surely failing, huge debts exist.
    -my current job (5 years Oct. 21), which I used to really enjoy - I don't anymore but I'm having a hard time figuring out what should come next. I've heard it said that if you do what you love, the money will follow eventually.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Sas - does the state/your mom's insurance/your insurance not provide for even a part-time caretaker for your mom? Or a volunteer to just be with her for a few hours at a time?

JMO - you did the right thing with your sister. She KNOWS she has this problem. It is her job to come to terms with it and mend her fences. I hope she gets help.

I, too, have a history of insane bosses - I think I like working with people who have personality. UNFORTUNATELY, that often means....you know...

Look for a job with boring people. You might be surprised.

Prayers for you! and good wishes.

K9soul - it sounds like your mom and stepdad are still in touch? HUGS - the 'worst' is over, but now all the fallout...I have had that type of fatigue, and it is from all the adrenaline and mental "sticking-it-out" I did. Think of it as a HUGE long sigh of relief for your body, mind and soul. Do you have a puppy or some soft critter with you? I hope your sick puppy made it....HUGS!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Sas,

The first thing I want to do is give you a big

(((((HUG))))))

You are my all-time favorite PTer. I've admired your strength for a long time. I am so, SO sorry for all you've had to deal with. Dealing with an alcoholic is very difficult when the alcoholic doesn't realize they have a problem. They also don't like to be confronted about it. Imagine having to be a caretaker of that elderly alcoholic. THAT'S what I went through. I fought with him, threatened him, you name it. Nothing worked. So I threw up my hands and gave in. He died doing what he loved, DRINKING. I beat myself up for a long time. I was his enabler. Took 10 years for the guilt to disappear. Like he said, "I'm just waiting to cruise on outta here." That's exactly what he did.

Depression goes along with being a parent's caretaker. It sucks all the energy out of you. Been there, done that.

Life is WAY too short to not talk to anyone. I hope your sister realizes it before it's too late. Sas, until she hits rock bottom and seeks the help she desperately needs, there's not much you can do except be there when she does (hit rock bottom).

I've PM'd you with my phone number. Please feel free to call me anytime. I'm there for you.

Donna

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thank you for starting this thread, we may not be able to help each other with what we are going through, but it's nice to know that there are other people out there whose lives are not all peaches and cream

I've wanted out of my marriage for the past 2 1/2 - 3 years and Rick (my hubby) knows it, but he won't let me leave. He's controlling and verbally abusive.

The reason for all of Buddy’s fears is because of my Rick. Buddy knows I don't like him and Buddy is my soul mate, so he feels the same towards my hubby. (Nancy the psychic told me this and much more that was horribly sad)
    Buddy has been around when I'm being verably attacked, that's why he is the way he is towards my hubby.

I drink too much and I hide it from everyone, along with smoking.

I'm depressed and suicidal, I feel like I just can't take another day of this hell I'm living in.... I just want it all to end. But what's stopping me is not knowing what would happen to Buddy if I died. (would my hubby have him PTS? Dump him in a shelter??) I've even thought of taking him with me.....

My husband thinks I'll "get better" and we'll live happily ever after, he's pushing me to sell our house and buy another one (bigger) so we can start having kids. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE KIDS!!!!

I love Buddy and Sierra much MUCH more than I love him.

I was the happiest when my hubby was working out of town and lived in another state for months at a time.

The things I just typed... I've never told anyone. No family members or friends of mine know how bad it's gottten.

Thank you for starting this thread so I could put it all out there.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

pitc9 - he won't "let" you?

Sweetie...I have 'escaped' from a bad relationship (thank God it wasn't marriage, though it wouldn't have mattered). I had to plan, and even wrote down how he would react (I had it down to a T, including the suicide threats), and what I would say.

It might me one of those "Don't think about it, just do it." IMO, your hubby is very sick, and that makes you sicker. Don't try to take your life and let his sickness win!

Just suggestions:

1. Find a safe place to board Buddy and Sierra. (vet, or is there a PTr near you?)

2. Find a safe place for you - drop Buddy and Sierra off and get yourself to a women's shelter. Don't worry about hubby - the shelters have dealt with all kinds, and they are not allowed to tell anyone who is staying there. Try to call first, if you can.

For me, it was like planning an escape...and it IS.

Get out, please! ETA: Sent you a PM.

Major PT prayers going your way.

Pitc9,

Catty1 gave you excellent advice. Take Buddy and find a place to go. No one, and I mean NO ONE deserves to be treated that way. You are such a wonderful person, someone who deserves to be happy. Unless you get out now, nothing will change.

You're in my thoughts and prayers, sweetheart. I've also pm'd you with my number. Call me anytime. I mean that.

I have MANY problems, including depression, ADD, PTSD and a hearing impairment in my right ear. My history of problems goes from losing my Mom, 44, from lung and brain cancer. I was 19. Grandfather was killed in a house fire 3 months later, one week before Christmas. My father and I were homeless for 6 months, till we found a place. It was not fun. I found my father's body after being his caretaker for 3 years. Put me over the edge. I'm the only person in my family who HAS to worry about money. *sigh*

I could write a book. I thank GOD everyday for the way my life is going and wouldn't change a thing. Life is not a dress rehearsal. You only have once to get it right.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I surely wish there was an island somewhere.....

and we (the unhappy/sad) could go to live. A place where one could trust, believe, and enjoy life while we are here on earth. Life seems to take some nasty turns from time to time.

Yes, I have started going to church, which I thought was not part of me for the longest time.....and therapy....and medication...... I think by sharing this information (somewhat) I have opened another bridge to getting on with life.....some of your suggestions have been excellent and your own stories make me see that I am not the only person here at risk, if you will.

Thank you all for your kindness and understanding. I know that there are other folks here struggling with life and its challenges and it isn't easy, that's for sure.

I will be looking in to parent care soon, and promise to let you know what I come up with. I am having a hard time admitting that I cannot do it all and survive.

Thanks again,
    L,
    Sas and her campers

Hi, Sas...taking off the superwoman cape will be a relief. NO ONE can do all that you do!

HUGS!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to everyone.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!