Thread: Newest vet update (9-24-07)

Newest vet update (9-24-07)

I took the 3rd set of cats for their yearly's today.

Mickey, 4 1/2 years old now and 10 pounds. Got his rabies vac (gets his distemper at home). Looks good, some tarter starting already.

Jim, 5 1/2 years old and 12 pounds. Got his rabies vac and a urine sample done (should get the results Wed.) Looks great and great teeth too!

Ashley, also 5 1/2 years old and 11 pounds. Same. Her teeth might need a cleaning next year. But it is normal tarter, NOT stomatitis *like my other cats.

Shilo also went in for a depo shot to help his mouth pain. It is almost 4 weeks since his last one, and it was begining to wear off. He is holding at 12 pounds.

I also reported on Jasper and his congestion. I have yet ANOTHER medicine for him to try. This one will hopefully help his cold AND his diarrhea. The vet said that many cats get the congestion after their first depo shot.

Little baby Sprite will be put on some antibiotics too, in hopes to help him get stronger (I was not even certain he was going to make it through the night.) But he seems to be a fighter.

Well, my next group of 3 for shots is not until NOVEMBER, thank heavens.

Good news...but poor Jasper! I guess if Depo suppresses the immune system, then he would catch a cold or something. I hope he is better SOON!

Major PT Prayers for little Sprite! I hope the antibiotics help him if there's a bug to get rid of! Hang in there, baby!

Regarding the teeth, I don't know if it's possible to feed your tooth kitties separately, but if I might suggest something.

Oscar will be 6 in January. Cole just turned 3. I've never needed to have their teeth cleaned. And they aren't close to needing a cleaning.

I used Royal Canin SO (Urinary) which really helped their teeth - but they needed to lose a bit of weight. My vet said that Hill's Dental was good for weight loss, had now been shown to prevent UTI's like the RC, and of course was good for teeth. I also use the Meditreats regularly (2 per cat in the am).

I know each cat is different, but ask your vet about this. Maybe mix the Hill's in with their regular dry food? It's a bit more pricey, but less expensive in the long haul than a tooth cleaning.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I sure hope the meds do the trick for poor Jasper and little Sprite. Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

As for the rest of the vet checked gang that sounds pretty good. I can't believe Mickey is 4 1/2 now. Boy does time fly!

From Decker with Love

My LAST vet visit when Fern and Willow showed signs of tarter, I purchased a dental diet. THEY WON'T EAT IT!! Mickey and Bonnie both tried it, and will eat some along with their regular food. I will also try Ashley to see if she will like it.

Little Sprite has had one dose of the antibiotics and has already eated (on his own) his first feeding after. I had been force feeding him for almost 2 full days as he simply would not suck the bottle on his own. BUT HE JUST DID!!
    WOO HOO!!!! I am very hopeful about that.

That is a great update about Sprite! Keep it up little guy!

From Decker with Love

EEK! What a roller coaster! Sprite's little pick-me-up did not continue through his evening feeding.

SIGH.

That So Sad That You Cant Get Jaspers Problem Under Control And We Are Sorry To Hear That Sprites Medication Isnt Working.
    Sadly Theres Nothing That You Can Do Is Hope Wish And Pray. I Hope Its At Least Good To Know That You Have The Pet Talkers Praying Along With You.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Maybe Sprite has some learning disabilities?? You never know....

Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to Jasper and Baby Sprite. I sure hope that they'll get better soon.

When Pearl got a depo shot for a mouth sore, she became very ill a few days later. She had a very high fever and she needed to stay at the vets to be watched and to receive sub-q fluids and other meds. She had a bacterial infection. The vet later told me that some cats get sick from these shots. Now I know to never have the vet give her one ever again.

Sounds like you had your hands full taking that many.. I struggle with just taking two of them...

I feed mine tarter control treats in the hopes that will prevent tarter build up... time will tell if that works or not.

Come on Sprite, you got to get better and STAY better. You are in great hands and that alone gives you a fighting chance! KEEP EATING and get healthy... PLEASE!!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Smudge gets tartar control treats too. The C.E.T. chews he likes are really big, so he appreciates it if I cut them in half with a scissors.

Love, Columbine