Thread: Rescued 5 month old Cocker

Rescued 5 month old Cocker

I rescued a 5 month old black/white cocker spaniel yesterday.
    Her history as I know it : she was found with her mother in the woods by a church group, 6 hrs later she was placed with me.
    I have a 6 year old pitbull/ beagle mix ( male neutured) and a 5 year old golden retriever (female , spayed). The new puppy (the cocker Tucker female, unaltered) started to bite the other two if they approached her. no growling.. She hasn't uttered a sound since I brought her home, she is barely eating or drinking, I took her outside to potty and she runs for her life when confronted by the overloving, lazy outside cat.
    Is this normal behavior for a new puppy ?

Yes, it's pretty normal, as she is brand new to this "pack," for lack of a better term, and is trying to figure out her place in the family. I would watch her and if she doesn't start eating by Monday, a vet trip is definitely in order - in fact it is in order anyway, of course. Are her gums nice and pink and healthy-looking? If she has pooped at all, are ther any worms present?

Thankfully I am sure your older tow have their vaccinations, and you already mentioned they have been neutered/spayed. Watch their interactions with the pup, and just be prepared with a spray bottle of water if things get too rough.

So are you just fostering her, or do you think you wil keep her? She is so lucky you took her in! How about her mom, someone else took her in?

After being with mom in the woods and now in a home with an established order of pets, not surprising she is nervy! Best wishes and let us know how she does!

Everything sounds normal except the fact she hasn't uttered a sound. Almost like she doesn't know she can bark or make any sound. Have you checked the inside of her mouth for deformities? Getting her checked out wouldn't be a bad idea just to make sure she is healthy. Most pups are born with at least roundworms, so it would be a good idea to bring a sample in if you take her to your vet. You giving her a forever home?

Rescued Puppy

She just started eating this afternoon and finally got her outside business done, did not see anything in it. I have an appointment Tuesday with Dr. Mack to get her altered and any shots she may need. I would of taken the mother in but she does not seem to like men, with my son and husband in the home it wouldn't of worked out. I will not be fostering her, I get to keep her . Thank goodness.. I already love the cute little thing.

Good for you Chime, and good for the pup to have a home with you to love her.