Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumps and bumps and two surgeries..Saturday update

Lumps and bumps and two surgeries..Saturday update

Wish us luck. I've got two dogs in the truck this morning going to the vet for various lumps and bumps. Bandit has another meiobian gland cyst on his eyelid. I know what it is and I know he needs surgery, but he's almost 11. They won't just book the surgery without seeing him first. Paxil has another lump under her front right leg. I'm hoping it's a swollen lymph node, but given that she's had cancer twice, I'm not willing to bet on that. She's just over 11 now. Getting old sucks!
    Last edited by Glacier; 09-22-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Wishing you the very best of luck at the vet. Hugs for all 3 of you in that truck!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Update...

The furries are safely back in their own yard. They were both pretty happy about that. Unfortunately, they will both be spending the day at the clinic next Wednesday. Bandit's eye cyst requires surgery to remove it. It'll just come back if the blocked gland isn't just cut right out. He had one before on the same eye, but this one is on his upper eyelid. The last one was on the lower lid. Oddly enough, that's the good news, except that Bandit has remarkably good teeth for an 11 year old dog!

Paxil's lump is another mast cell tumor. This is the third time the cancer has come back. Words you never want to hear your vet say "you know she's already beat the odds twice", especially when he says them in his reserved for delivering bad news voice! Her tumors are always grade 2's, the least predictable of the mast cell grades. Fortunately, this one is small and in an easy to remove place, under her front leg, lots of extra tissue around it so he should be able to get a good clean margin around the tumor. Mast cells get angry when they are poked and prodded. It tends to make the tumors grow and they need to be removed quickly.

I booked them both for the same day, a week today. That was Dr. Rick's first surgical opening and I want him treating them. They are both seniors so surgery comes with a few extra risks. They'll be getting blood work done before they are put under.

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier

Getting old sucks!
    Prayer Pups here, Mz Glacier ...

We hear dat a LOT 'round our ranch ... da "Olde Man" mumblez it most ebery day!

We dint have a chance to send God fur da Exam ... but sounds like da news
    wasn't all so bad.

We'll ask God to sit in next Wednesday to help Doc Rick ...
    a lil Devine Intervention nebber hurtz!

Your FurKids are Soooo Lucky to have a Mom who pays attention and
    checks over the Furry Ones so often - and can *spot* a problem while it's still a LITTLE problem.

Did "Mom" get there yet?
    Give her a Big *HERROW* frum us!
    (And get her Windex out ... she'll wanna get started.

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    [i
    Did "Mom" get there yet?
    Give her a Big *HERROW* frum us!
    (And get her Windex out ... she'll wanna get started.

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Thanks prayer pups and Phred! A little devine intervention is always nice!

Mom gets here tonight. Maybe I'll leave the windex on the the table for her!

Glad to learn that the lumpies can all be taken care of and that the best Doc in town will be handling them both. Have a lovely visit with your Mom. I bet she can't wait to see all of her grand-dogs and grand-kits. Will keep those 2 doggies of yours in mind next week on surgery day. They're so lucky to have a mommie like you that looks after them so very well. Hugs all around!
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

*hugs and prayers*

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Paxil had surgery this morning. Dr. Rick said it went very well. We decided not to send it out for grading. I've done that with previous tumors and it's always come back as a grade 2. The information is nice to have, but it doesn't change her treatment plan at all. Cutting out the lumps is the only treatment available here.

For the past few days, she has a couple strange episodes--almost sounded like a reverse sneeze; Sunday night I thought she had something stuck in her nose or was having a seizure of some sort. In typical Paxil fashion, she was completely undisturbed by any of this and not acting like she was struggling to breathe. I left Rick a long note this morning detailing the episodes. He checked out her nose and throat while she was knocked out and removed a bunch of foxtails in her throat!

He also said her tonsils/throat are covered in scar tissue. He thinks she has had foxtails before or had a habit of eating things she shouldn't as a younger dog, before I got her. I have trouble getting her to eat the things she should, I've never seen her chew on anything inappropriate. I'm not even sure when she ate the foxtails. I killed all the ones I could find in the yard after Tehya got into them.She has had kennel cough which can damage the throat. She also spent 7 years chained up before I got her(most sled dogs are chained). She often hit the end of her chain trying to get more attention--she's always been a snuggler kind of dog. A large part of why she was given to me was that her owner at the time recognized that Paxil wasn't happy in a "real" dog yard anymore and that she really wanted to be a house dog!

Bandit should be waking up right about now. Boy, I hope they got him brushed and his nails clipped while he was napping! Bandit is highly resistant to any kind of grooming while he's conscious. I asked them to do Paxil's nails too. She lets me clip them, but she has nasty, dark nails that are prone to splitting and I can never tell where the quick is!

I can pick them both up in a couple hours.

glad to hear everything is good so far..... keeping you all in my thoughts....

hugs to them both!!..... will be waiting for pic updates...
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Sounds like they will both be just fine. Glad Paxil let you know something wasn't right before the surgery. Give them both a little kiss from me. I hope they're all healed up really soon - before your snow flies (we had snow today).

Goodness me Tamara. It is always something .....

Hope everyone is OK ..
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop
    I hope they're all healed up really soon - before your snow flies (we had snow today).
    LOL, too late for that! There's tons of snow on the hills already and a mix of snow and rain is falling right now! But I am hoping Paxil will be ready to run again long before there is enough snow for the sled. She can teach Tehya way more than I can about leading! Bandit retired a couple years ago from mushing, although he was never much of a sled dog. He liked to come along, but he had mastered making it look like he was pulling without ever actually doing a bit of work!

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier

Paxil had surgery this morning.
    Dr. Rick said it went very well.

He checked out her nose and throat while she was knocked out
    and removed a bunch of foxtails in her throat!

Bandit should be waking up right about now.

I can pick them both up in a couple hours.

Shame on the Prayer Pups ... plum furgot about today's Sir Juries!
    Sure Hope God remembered an showed up fur the Assist.

Glad to her the preliminary report is a Good One!

We'll send Prayers for two FAST Recoveries and NO complications!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

They are home

Bandit's eye looks nasty, but the surgery went well. He's already being stubborn about staying in the house. Bandit is more than welcome to be a house dog, but he prefers to be in the yard. He got brushed and his nails trimmed too. Bandit hates being groomed!

Paxil is so stoned she can't see straight. She's having fun watching things only she can see! She's curled up on her bed by the woodstove. I talked to Rick some more about the scar tissue and he says there's nothing we can do about it. It makes her more prone to getting things stuck in her throat though so I will have to keep a closer eye on what she gnaws on. She got her nasty, black nails cut very short too! I hate trimming her nails!

Glad to hear things went well for both of them. Curses on those foxtails!
    Will say a few extra prayers tonight for their full recoveries.