Thread: Kenny "scooping" the backyard!????

Kenny "scooping" the backyard!????

There has probably been a thread about this at some point and time, but I'm too lazy to search for it! How in the world can I get Kenny to quit eating all the dog poop from the yard??? He not only eats the others', but he eats his own as well! While I appreciate him taking care of things for me, it is DISGUSTING! Big hot slobbery dog poop breath is not attractive!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

The only thing I've heard of is putting meat tenderizer in his food, have no idea if it works. And I know they sell special stuff for this at pet stores.

yes apparently there is something you can get at the pet store or the vets that you can sprinkle on their food.

bill engvall actually does a joke about it lol it makes their poop taste BAD. lol

I don't know what else you could do about it though. Sorry. Belle has a tendancy to chow down on her own poop every now and then and I immediately take her in and brush her teeth lol.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Buddy does that in the winter... guess he likes Poopsicles

I've heard a lot of things to try.. but nothing has worked with Bud except for me to pick up RIGHT away.

I've tried Garlic powder & canned pumpkin (pure.. not pie filling)
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Either catching him in the act* and telling him he's naughty for doing so ("NO!" "BAD!" What ever works in your house for "You're not allowed to be doing that ever.") If he's an obedient dog, you should be able to break the habit with in about two weeks of consistency. If he's an obedient dog and doesn't quit then he's more than likely missing something from his diet. (I don't care whether you feed Ol Roy, or the best selection of raw free range organic meats and supplement blend... it's a sign that something's missing... EVEN if all your other dogs have done well on the diet you've been feeding them.)

*It would actually be better to catch him as he's ABOUT to chomp down on it. If he just walks up to a pile and chomps, then do it as he approaches the pile. If he's one to sniff it before setting in for a fine meal, than wait until he gets a couple sniffs in... you know... since it's dogs' way of getting the daily news. (Training is mostly about the timing.) If he already gets a mouthful then he's already rewarded himself, and all you are doing is teaching him that you won't let him have it... and he'll get sneakier.)

Now if he's not an obedient dog and you were consistent on monitoring him when he's out and about... that's another matter. Then I'd just stick to other methods suggested... such as being vigilant about scooping or only taking him out on leash. Yes, I know... a complete pain in the butt solution.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Thanks for the tips!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Kim, also putting Pineapple in their dinner's is suppose to work with some dogs . Goodluck i hope the problem is solved as soon as possible.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Honey (also Golden Retriever) went through a spell of this, recently, too, Kim. I've been trying to be more diligent with my scooping to keep her from doing it. It is certainly a nasty habit! YUCK!!!!!

Everyone seems to be giving you some great ideas. it may be as simple as putting something in his food or giving him an extra treat that makes his poop taste bad. Whatever you end up doing to stop this nasty habbit make sure it won't hard Kenny. I heard of someone taking someone's advice on getting their dog to stop eating poo, but ended up feeding him something that was toxic to dogs. Not sure what it was.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Morgan does this constantly too, and has ever since we got her. The only thing that stops her is to pick it up immediately. We've tried the suggestions offered in this thread, and nothing has worked. I hope something works for Kenny though, as it is absolutely disgusting.

I asked my vet about it and he said contrary to popular belief, it has nothing to do most of the time with something missing in their diet. It's just a natural habit they get into apparently.

The only thing about giving Kenny something to make his poop taste bad, if he is eating all of the dogs poop, they all would have to be given the same thing to make their poop taste bad also.
    The 'stuff' they take to make their poop taste bad didn't work when RB Mandy was eating poop. Training and picking up right away is the best thing to try. Good luck.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla