Thread: WOOHOO! "Making Room for Pets" letter - thanks all! Link to letter #12

WOOHOO! "Making Room for Pets" letter - thanks all! Link to letter #12

The Calgary Herald replied with this (it's the main paper, not the tabloid):

Hi Candace,

Thank you so much for submitting your letter. You have some excellent ideas for resolving the pet ownership crisis for apartment dwellers. However, your submission is too long for our letters pages, so we plan to publish it as a separate opinion piece some time next week. We can only do this, however, if you have not also submitted it to the Sun.

Please let me know if you submitted this exclusively to the Herald, and then we can go ahead with plans for publication.
    Then she added:
    I heard last week that the Humane Society is just overflowing with cats dumped there by people whose landlords won't allow them. So your article is very timely! As soon as you hear from the Sun, please let me know. Your article will be published sometime next week, as we plan our pages several days in advance.
    I already wrote the Sun.

THANKS, team!

If you want to Google the condo and rental management companies in your state or province, and send letters to the papers, I will send you the one a few of us here put together. Just change your name and contact information!

YAY! It's a start!
    Last edited by Catty1; 09-21-2007 at 11:04 AM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

This is such exciting news!! WAY TO GO GIRL!!!!!! I am proud for you and the pets it may help!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Great job, Candice!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

And this from a local paper(where I just had a job interview hee hee):

Hi Candace,

I cannot run your submission as a letter, but I think it is worthwhile to
    run it as a guest column, so that is what we will do.

Thanks,

Darryl Mills, editor
    Cochrane Times
    (403) 932-3500

You did very, very good girl. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Hey, PT People helped. WE did good!

WTG candace!

I am and will always be in awe of you! excellent work!

CYBER HUGS

Kym
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Con-cats-ulations!! Where can I find a copy of the letter? Kudo's for your efforts!

Congrats!!!

I am confused though... The Herald says that they're publishing the story, but earlier they said they couldn't if you submitted to the Sun also.

(Also, you may want to post the link to this thread where you had previously crossposted in the other sections. (You could do it in the threads you already started. I just happened upon this by pure luck. Definitely an update i looked forward to hearing.)

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

That's wicked, well done on writing such an excellent piece. We are starting to have the same problem in the Uk with this. As house prices go up (in the top bracket the average house price is now apparently touching the £200,000) people especially young people simply cannot afford to have a mortgage and are having to rent instead, this means that a lot can't have a pet (cat or dog) due to certain rules. This is WRONG WRONG WRONG and I think it's high time responsible pet owners are allowed to have their animals live with them. Something needs to be done in the UK and hopefully it will.
    I think it's great you've highlighted this problem, more needs to be done about this and changes will happen.

CN - the Sun and Herald are the two competing dailies in the city. Naomi at the Herald was great - she understood that I emailed EVERYONE to get the word out!

If Karen allows, I will do a separate thread with a template of the letter in it, which you can copy and paste, and add your own local information.

Thanks!

Copy of letter is available here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=133826