Thread: GSD/WS Coat Color Genetics

GSD/WS Coat Color Genetics

Hello all - some of you know me as Ceph - but that account I asked to have locked and I thought I would start over with a new handle....there have been alot of new things since I was here last, but mostly I have been playing with my new puppy Ruby and learning alot about Genetics.

I thought I would share some of the research I have done on the coat color genetics of the GSD - you have to keep in mind that genetics are not set in stone and that some of this has changed...but most of the research I did was based of studies done by geneticists who are published in the J.Heredity, have written books, or Dr. Willis (a well known geneticist in the GSD world) and Dr. Sponenburg (one of the worlds foremost color geneticists...lol, the horse peeps could probably back me up on this ) I have posted this elsewhere before, but I made some updates since some things have changed : for example - there is a strong possibility that the Chinchilla affect or the Cd dont cause the white coat and it is instead caused at the extension locus, however I kept the information there and updated the extension section because the Color locus was a very widley accepted possibility for a while.

Anyway : here it is...I hope ya'll like - and also - most of this applies to other dogs as well...I didnt list a bunch of Loci because they dont affect the GSD persee because they are homozygous in those Loci. I listed three examples at the end....if ya'll have any questions about coloring though, I would be happy to answer them

My Sources :
    A. Ruvinski and J. Sampson the Genetics of the Dog (Ruvinski and Sponenberg)
    Willis, Malcom B. The German Shepherd Dog : A Genetic History
    White shepherd Genetics Project : wsgenetics.org
    Standard Acceptance of Coat Color in Dogs : www.chromadane.com/standardcoat.htm
    Genetics of Coat Color and Type in Dogs : homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/dogcolors.html

Coat color in the GSD

The Agouti Locus – controls coat pattern

A – dominant or self black (some geneticists feel that this should be removed to its own Locus – it is not present in the GSD
    ay – Tan or Gold Sable (can be ay-ay; ay-aw; ay-as; ay-at; ay-a)
    aw – Grey or silver sable (aw-aw; aw-as; aw-at; aw-a) (this is often called wolf color, and may have banding within it)
    as – Saddle marked (as-as; as-at; as-a)
    at – bi color (at-at; at-a) (color goes further down the legs)
    a – No pattern (a-a)

The Black Locus – controls black pigment formation

B – Allows Black pigment to form
    b – blocks black pigment in favor of brown, choclate, or liver

Notes on ‘b’ :
    -affects both skin and coat simulaneously, and also may be linked to eye color because livers have lighter eyes.
    -early views that liver may be lethal were discarded as improbable, and there is no real evidence that it is biologically harmful (Willis, pp39)

The Color Locus – controls pigment in the fur

C – wild type (no change, and no dilution)
    cch – Chinchilla affect – partial albinism ‘washy’ coat color (dilutes tan to a yellowish cream or white)
    cd – pure white coat with black skin pigment in nose, eye and pad leather.
    ce – cream colored coats, extreme dilution (from chromadane)
    cb – carnaz coats and blue eyes (from chromadane)
    ca – true albino (interuption of tyrosene pathway) (from chromadane)

Notes on cch/cd/ca
    -for ca there is still a fair amount of research being done
    -in Willis’ book he states that cd is an iffy in the GSD – many believe that homozygous cch is the cause of the white coat in the GSD
    -the long held belief that white is degenerative or linked to biological problems is w/o foundation (Willis, pp39)
    -seriously defective hips are not a feature of or pecuiliar to whites (Willis pp39)
    -on this I think he mentioned that whites have a smaller gene pool because they are ****-r, however, with careful breeding and testing they are not any more prone to hereditary disease than are any other GSD (the swiss have demonstrated this with their superior breeding of the BBS)
    -whites were generally chosen against in the past because it made it difficult to herd the white sheep and to blend into the dark when guarding. However, Willis states that the White GSD could be very useful as guide dogs if trained properly and he also mentions that they have no diminished desire to herd.. I feel they would almost be more useful during SAR missions because they would be easier to see.
    -whiwhite dogs are controverisial with some breeders because the white color is correlated with skin, eye and ear defects. A few studdies have failed to demonstrate that relationship, but even so, white dogs in these breeds remain unpopular (Ruvinski and Sampson, pp82)

The Dilution Locus – dilutes black pigment

D – causes dense black pigment (also known as the wild type)
    D – dilutes black to blue or silver

Notes on blue dogs :
    -like liver the blue affects the skin and coat simultaneously, as well as having lighter eyes
    -blues used to be shown in confirmation until a blue won a championship, at which point they were disqualified (willis, pp40)
    -BBdd looks almost like a black dog dipped in flour – the blue causes a dusty sheen and can be mistaken as a sable
    -the blue color may disapear with age though usually some blue pigment will remain on the muzzle
    -Some puppies are born ‘silver’ which is a sable color that appears to be blue. However as these puppies age the normal black pigment develops (Willis).

The Extension Locus restricts the location of the dark pigment

Em – Black or dark mask
    E – dark coat but no black mask except in black dogs
    e – clear tan (black usually fades…restricts pigment to red or yellow)

Notes :
    -the ‘e’ is more apparent in dogs with tan coloring than in grey sables.
    -according to schmutz the e-e has been mapped to the MC1R gene and is now known to be linked to the white coat color of White Shepherd Dogs.

The Intensity Locus – dilutes tan colors

Int – dilutes tan to ditry white
    intm – dilutes tan to light yellow
    int – no dilution (wild type)

-Notes :
    -The intensity locus is what controls the color of the GSD as far as the tan goes. The tan can range anywhere from a very deep red (int-int) to a silver or cream color (Int-)
    -The majority of the really red dogs carry the recessive gene which is being selected for and bred for.

The K Locus – causes self black, originally thought to be part of the Agouti Locus

K = Dominant or self Black
    Kbr – sepculative causing of brindle coloring
    k – speculative recessive allele, or wild type

Notes
    -this whole locus is considered very new, so there may still be information out on it.
    -most GSDs would be k-k; however there have been very rare cases of brindling in GSDs : CH Donna V Allergeiligentor (b. 1924) and her son Igor of Ceara (b. 1927) were both GSDs and brindle, so there may be a few dogs still carrying that allele, though very, very few. They may have also been the progenitors of the Dutch Shepherd Breed.

The S Locus – allows for white spotting

S – self colored dogs
    si – Irish spotting – 10-30% white (feet, lower legs, belly, chest, tail tip, color and blaze)
    sp – Piebald – 20-30%white
    sw – extreme white piebald – 10% or less is pigmented

Notes :
    -S is incompletley dominant w/ sp – it causes irish type spotting, (psuedo Irish)…Can produce white like beagles have
    -S-sw or si-sw makes the dog sp-sp looking.
    -I included this Loci because I believe it is what causes Panda spotting in the GSD…I don’t know for sure because there are no recent GSD genetics books that I could find, but it seems like a possibility…It is also in all liklihood fairly rare in the GSD to have the spotting, though clearly exhists as is demonstrated byt the Pandas (dont quote me on this one ...I am not a geneticist...I am just guessing)
    -The S locus is probably in all liklihood what controls those small spots that may occasionally appear in the white coat of the shepherd.

Some other nifty info is Coat length :

L - Short Coat
    l - long coat (recessive)

All GSDs are thought to be m-m (non merle); g-g (non grey); and t-t (non-ticked)

I hope some of this was informative

Very interesting and informative .

Falconara... (edited because I had GSDLuver in the attribute first, oops)

Love your post!

From what I have seen, I think that Panda's have an authentic completely new canine mutation that is not typical in most breeds based on the how prolific the Panda spotting pattern is, even when bred to solid dogs.

In most breeds a pinto bred to a homozygous solid (with no white at all) will almost always give you a dog that is almost nearly solid but maybe has a white chest medallion and a few white toes. But in Panda's it's so odd!

I think it's pretty cool. Thanks for your post.

I noted you didn't mention the 'w' that has been used so much to 'explain' white in the WS breed in the past. In a previous thread, I discounted the 'w' as well. It has not yet been found in dogs. It's probably still listed on WS sites.

I think rapid changes in molecular genetics have made it so that it's almost scary to attempt an 'up to date' article on canine color genetics. -because when you wake up in the morning after writing something that is 'up to date', yet another thing is found that increases the confusion of all but the most loyal of enthusiasts in the path of understanding coat color genetics. I'm a fan of Chromadane's site and Schmutz's and read them often.

This material is invaluable in working in dog rescue because it does so much to help in breed identity of some cases.

GSDs and Anatolians have two common color phases. The black masked fawn dogs and a white version.

In my breed, when e/e (homozygous recessive 'white') dogs are bred together or e/e is bred to an E/e (a homozygous recessive is bred to a heterozygote for 'e'), we get typical punnett square probabilities of what some people call an akbash white. This homozygous e is hypostatic to anything in the A locus. I have however seen white Anatolians that with k-br and their black stripes do show up as washed out grey, so e is probably not completely hypostatic to k-br anyway.

Our breed genetics (Anatolian and GSD) are very similar as it regards the agouti signal peptide (A locus) and the recessive eumelanin 'e' (E locus). Of course, when two heterozygotes are bred together, there is a possibility of getting some whites in a litter. The AKC standard has its issues with white, but in the Anatolian we can certainly see this played out for generations.

Two alleles at the E locus? I don't know about GSDs but in the Anatolian, I think that Em is ubiquitous in my breed (when there is a dominant form of E at that locus). The white anatolians are homozygous e, so they never have a black mask. Thus I suspect in our breed genome, that there are only Em and e at the "E" locus -- with no plain 'E'. But we have yet to see as I don't know if any Anatolian color genetics has actually confirmed this behavior.

Do you know if GSDs have a plain E? Would you have a source or a paper? I think all colored GSD pups are born with some degree of mask, which may fade to just some darkness around the lips and ear tips, leaving them with black whiskers. So are they possibly only Em and e only as well?

I do however have questions about recessive 'e', since we do see black or gray hairs in the unweaned youngsters of some of these white Anatolian pups, yet the hairs become pale biscuit as the dog matures. Maybe some cases of 'e' are not so cut and dry.

Some of the coffee table books that show 'akbash' are actually showing a dog with dominant E. (the dog shown as an Akbash, most certainly is not)

Note Polo in this image that has been used in several breed books to illustrate 'akbash'. She has dominant 'E' because of her black whiskers.

I haven't seen a baby shot of her, but I believe she was born with a eumelanin mask that faded, later became quite yellowish over her whole coat, and as she matured, she ended up being a light all over reddish tan with a self mask, but still black whiskers. Here's a pic of her in her autumn years.

(this whole escapade of having her labeled as a 'different breed' was done at a time when people were trying to split the Turkish breeds into more arbitrary subdivisions that was not based on genetics)

WS are e/e so they will never have black whiskers otherwise, they would not breed 'pure' and could have black hair. The mystery is why white ASD and GSD can 'wipe out the black' with 'e' but also have their phaeomelanin 'wiped out' too. I wonder if there is some other hypostatic effect that e/e plays in the breed or some epistatic effect from another locus?
    Semavi Lady Visit the blog!

Hey -

I probably should have updated this a little while ago - but in GSDs the e-e WAS found to be the cause of the white coat color -which is a essentially a masking gene that affects only the fur, but not the skin - her publication came out in the J.Heredity in September - I think our genetics list updated that shortly after it came out.

For the Kbr though - I hadnt thought about that but I can see that being the case - there have been one or two whites that I know of that have been born with these strange black/grey stripes along their bodies...and no one ever really knew what they were.

As far as I know GSDs do carry for the E, but at the same time - you might be right - it might be something that just disapears over time - I havent the foggiest idea. I have been told that alot of people that have had sable puppies that are born without a mask - but it might be that the E allele controls the coat color the same way the Grey Sable allele does - which is it isnt done changing until the dog is fully mature.

As far as the e-e and black whiskers - as far as I know - you are right - they cant have them. All the white dogs I have ever seen only white whiskers. Yellow labs are the same as well. However - as far as the color along the body - I think there is another gene somewhere controlling the amount of color that ends up shoing up in an e-e coat...some White Shepherds have alot more yellow/biscuit/red than others - and I dont know if that is the cause of what they carry at the Agouti Locus, the Intensity Locus, or some other Locus that just hasnt been found yet.

As far as Polo - I dont think that she has the e-e combination, but it is possible that she is E-E or Em-E, in which case the whiskers would be black, and the mask might disappear...lol...its a big I dunno right there.

That's the beauty of genetics....there are alot of what ifs until we are a little more advanced.

~Cate