Thread: What do I do?

What do I do?

So, basically I am sitting here in my computer class, talking to the guy next to me. He says he wants a white rednose Pit Bull. He wants to get it's ears done, and not neuter him. He is looking on google right now for breeders, or one for sale... I try to tell him it's cruel to do it's ears, and not neuter the dog. He also wants to make 'him all huge' by making him do weights, and giving him protein.... I'm guessing he just wants one for the LOOKS.

Any suggestions on what to do, or say would be greatly appreciated.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I wish I had some suggestions but guys like this are only looking for what they think is "status" of a pitbull as opposed to having an actual pet. I think it's owners like these where some of those horrible pitbull stories come from.

It sounds like he wants it for the status for for fighting
    I have no clue on what you could say either just pray that he can't find one.
    OO you could mention the fact on how expensive they are and how much the vet bills will be and all mayeb the price will wave his idea?
    Other then that best of luck to you

You can try talking to him about pet ownership. It is a life long ocmmitment, you have to keep up with the food recalls, vet issues, it is a lot of time as well as costly. I fear this will only bring him out more and you are not going to like what you hear back.

Or casually ask, "How much does it cost to have one of those?" If he asks what you mean, "You know, annual shots and food and stuff."

He might start adding it up.

Another thing you might do is contact all Pittie breeders you can find (good ones) and tell them what you told us...complete with his name. Then they know.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Or casually ask, "How much does it cost to have one of those?" If he asks what you mean, "You know, annual shots and food and stuff."

He might start adding it up.

Another thing you might do is contact all Pittie breeders you can find (good ones) and tell them what you told us...complete with his name. Then they know.

If I recall right, breeders insist that dogs sold as pets be neutered/spayed. If he wants an 'intact' one, he will have to pay huge bucks!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I would say something like:

"I've never had pittie (make sure you say pittie.. to make it sound cute and to tick him off!! LOL) I don't know much about the breed but I'm sure you do since you want to own one. I'm sure it would take a lot of researching to make sure it's the right breed for you."
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

How old is this kid, Sarah? What grade are you guys in? Hopefully, his parents will stop the nonsense before it grows into a problem.

Thanks so much, everyone! I really appreciate the help! The thing is, this is a really nice kid, (or so I think).

Alyssa- he is 17-18. We are seniors in high school.

He also says he won't fight it, but I'm kinda not too sure what to think of that. I told him if he really wanted one, go to the humane socitey. But he says "No, I want to raise it from ma pup." I really, really wish he knew better than this. This just makes me want to cry.

Kaitlyn (the human)

There is PLENTY of pit bull puppies for adoption at shelters and animal control facilities. So he can't used that as an excuse.. I would tell him that if I was you.

I'd tell him to check petfinder.org - as there are tons of pitties in shelters, and at least they'd talk to him about spaying/neutering. Tell him a good breeder should let him see the parents, he should make sure the parents don't have scars from fighting, and should ask about temperament. And also be prepared to pay a lot.

Thanks so much everyone....! He didn't say anything about getting the dog today, but we'll see what happens tomorrow...

Kaitlyn (the human)