Thread: Is Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula good for cats?

Is Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula good for cats?

I was just wondering how many of you feed your cats Purina Indoor Formula Cat Chow?

I heard from Shirley that corn based food is not good for cats. But I have been feeding them the indoor formula for over a year now up until a few months when I switched them to Hill's Hairball food and then I had to switch them to Hill's sensitive stomach and now they are back on the Indoor Formula.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Melissa

Well my babies have 4 diff kinds of Dry Food they eat & like.. Yes one of them is the Purina Indoor Formula.. The ones that eat it seem to do ok.. Yes I tend to stay away of corn based Dog or Cat food.. But I think most of the food has it..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

For the absolute best advice on pet food go to Wanda at Wiscoy. Sorry folks this is a local thing for Melissa... I was consulting her on dog food for Sequoia and she didn't even suggest I feed her something that she sells. She suggested stuff I couldn't even buy from her. That is a good person who wants the best for my dog not just someone out to make a buck.

But yes...Shirley is right...corn based isn't as good but my philosophy is that any food is better than no food and if they won't eat it the best food(formulation wise) in the world won't work. You want to look for meat sources as being the first ingredients. At least 2 of the first 5 with the first one being meat. And meal is a good readily digestible source of protein. Many don't like it because there are bits and parts that they wouldnt' eat but that doesnt' mean it isn't a fantastic source of protein for a cat or dog.

The Thing That Interested Me Is That None Of Purinas Products Were Recalled And A Lot Of The Better Known , Big Reputation Ones Were. I Have Never Fed Purina Indoor, But Maybe I Will Try A Bag!
    If They Dont Eat It, The Porchies Will.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

You know now that you mention it Uncle Gary none of the Purina Products got recalled.. I know my babies will only eat Whiskas & Friskies & Indoor Formula.. I didnt buy those High Dollar Brands no how..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I personally do feed some of the Purina One line to my cats. I try, however, to use the ones that keep the magnesium to 0.1% or lower. I don't think any of the regular Purina has that but you can find several of the Purina One varieties that do. One is their chicken and rice.

I wouldn't use the Purina Indoor formula, it has too many dyes in it. Someone at our hospital accidentally got a bag of that like a year ago to feed our resident cats. They suddenly started acting all jumpy and no one could hold or pet them anymore. We finally figured out it had to be the food since there was nothing medically wrong with them. After about a week or two of being back on their normal food they went back to acting normally again. Turns out they'd had an allergic reaction to the dyes that showed up as a behavioural thing.

I've also seen a TON of cases come in our doors with all kinds of skin/ear problems from dyes in foods. If you're going to feed Purina stick with the plain cat chow formula, or just stay away from the dyes.

Switching foods around is not a good idea. Find one good food and just stick with it.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I've never ever ever have had a problem w/any of the Purina products. My vet's office has even switched to Purina. I use the indoor formula, my cats love it, they've had no reactions to it whatsoever and I have no reason to change it. If they don't eat it, what good is the high priced stuff? Purina wasn't recalled for a reason.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I think it's just best to feed what your cat likes isn't it. It seems some are happy with Purina and some are not, I think everything is like that, People have different experiences with different things. That's just life.
    Sunny eats 99% dry (usually picks at wet food) and I have to admit she likes to have a variety and rarely has the same bag of dry every time. I try to look around for the better brands on offer. At the moment she has the pets at home premium brand of dry food mature light. She's fine with it and it has basically the same ingredients as say the higher costing ones such as IAMS and Purina One, James Wellbeloved etc.
    I always go for one with a good meat content ie if it's a chicken flavour the good brands usually have say 27% chicken. These are the ones I try to get.
    When I first had them she ate Whiskas dry food cause she really loved it but then I read the ingredients on the back (after reading about dry food in my cat magazine) and it said it only had 7% chicken in it which I thought was rubbish really. She now haves whatever I can find on offer of the better brands and she's fine. She's a total biscuit monster.

Jack however I have tried to give more dry but he hates it, he's my carnivore boy! Lol Though then again he'd eat the carpet if it had a bit of ham on it!

I would like to thank everyone for their imput.

I don't switch my cats food all the time the only reason why I started switching was to help one of my cats lose weight hopefully but my one all white cat couldn't handle the type of food and that's why I had to switch them again and I probably should of just switched them back to the indoor formula but I took my vets advice.

I just started switching them back over to purina indoor formula so we'll see what happens.