Thread: Doggie Dilemma or I BARK therefore I annoy

Doggie Dilemma or I BARK therefore I annoy

Sorry I haven't been around... we've been in the process of re-modeling the house and this is the busy season for my Mama & Pop. Things should be back to normal soon tho.

I do have a Doggie Dilemma that maybe some of my friends might be able to help:

See, I am a barker. I have a lot to say. That's why I am LOUD Louie, after all. Well, I have new neighbors, and they have a dog however, they have complained to my Mama about MY barking. I admit I do get carried away and I don't listen to Mama and Pops when they tell me to hush. I am stubborn that way.
    So, short of my Mama going over and talking to the neighbors, who have already come off as Holier-Than-Thou, anyone got any advice.

I've lived here for 7 years and have always been a barker, along with the 2 Bassets across the street and the Yip-Yapper 2 doors down from the new neighbors...and then there are the screaming kids who throw apples in my yard but that's another story. Mama sez, I'm a Good Boy 'cause I never eat anything unless it comes from someone I know. We've never had a problem until now.

So, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

WOOOF!

LOUD Louie

I'm sure someone will come alone with better advice...

The one I can think of off the top of my head right now is when a dog is barking use a squirt bottle and spray them (aim at the tip of the nose) and say "No Bark."

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

I've read that using a muzzle will help teach the dog to whine, not bark. I do NOT like the idea. However, one of my current foster dogs is VERY outspoken. We have tried the water squirt. He thinks it is a game and snaps to catch the water. Well, it does stop him barking, as long as we are playing with him! I'll be watching for ideas as well!

In order of importance:

1) Remove the trigger. If there's nothing to trigger the dog, there's nothing to bark at. However, there are times when you cannot remove the trigger (i.e. the neighbor's barking dog is making your dog bark). In that case, move down to #4.
    2) Exercise (I'm sure you already have this down)
    3) Mental exercise
    4) Never give the dog the opportunity to bark. If he barks when he's outside because everybody else is barking, bring him back inside. If he needs to go out for a potty, supervise him. As soon as he potties, bring him back inside.
    5) Teach Quiet. Present the trigger to the dog, wait for him to stop (he will, eventually). As soon as he stops, say "Quiet" and treat. Repeat repeat repeat. Eventually, you can say "Quiet" in the middle of his barking and he will stop.

Also, to immediately stop the barking, present a deterrent every time he barks. I am *not* a fan of squirt bottles. Instead, I like using a can of pennies. Every time the dog barks, throw the bottle in the dog's direction, as soon as he stops barking, say "Quiet" and treat the dog.

#5 is the method i was trying to think of!!!

as for the last part you mentioned... each dog's personality is different. A shaker can is worth a try, butnot all dogs will react to it though... And the user has to make sure the dog never sees them as the source of the thrown shaker can.

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    5) Teach Quiet. Present the trigger to the dog, wait for him to stop (he will, eventually). As soon as he stops, say "Quiet" and treat. Repeat repeat repeat. Eventually, you can say "Quiet" in the middle of his barking and he will stop.

Also, to immediately stop the barking, present a deterrent every time he barks. I am *not* a fan of squirt bottles. Instead, I like using a can of pennies. Every time the dog barks, throw the bottle in the dog's direction, as soon as he stops barking, say "Quiet" and treat the dog.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Honestly, I've yet to find a dog that does not react at least slightly to the can of pennies hurled in their direction. The reason I don't like squirt bottles is because I love grooming and my dogs occasionally need spraying/misting with water and hairspray. I mistakenly used spray bottles with my Peke when he was a puppy. He is now terrified of being misted with water or sprayed with hairspray. Water bottles are no longer a part of my training "regimen"!

I'm not dismissing that squirt bottles won't be right for everyone. They are an option though when other methods don't work.

Shaker cans:
    There are certain dogs that are a lot calmer than others. Many of those would make it to be a therapy dog, police dog, etc. King was one of those dogs. He was terrified of loud noises, but we worked with him. By the time we got him into an obedience class (just for socialization and something to do together) he wasn't even phased by the shaker can. A dog near him was having a barking fit and the can was thrown near it. All the other dogs stood stock still too. King then turned his head to see what all the other dogs were doing. It was sooo funny. I wasn't the only one in the room that noticed. One of the other dog owners brought up the point of what if you have a dog like King? (And that's why the trainer explained that there are different training techniques and why our class gets a different trainer each week.) He's not the only one either. I've seen others like that. Either trained or naturally that laid back. (few and far in between, but they do exist.)

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    Honestly, I've yet to find a dog that does not react at least slightly to the can of pennies hurled in their direction. The reason I don't like squirt bottles is because I love grooming and my dogs occasionally need spraying/misting with water and hairspray. I mistakenly used spray bottles with my Peke when he was a puppy. He is now terrified of being misted with water or sprayed with hairspray. Water bottles are no longer a part of my training "regimen"!

Tell your neighbors the truth .......................You don't bark unless you NEED to. Lived with a Basset for yrs and I am sorry wish my dobies had the chance to SHUT UP! (they bark if the wind blows) so just have Mama talk to the neighbors....................they will appreciate (in time) that you have it under control
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Thanks fro all the great replies!

Well, my Mama tried the talking to the neighbors… they smugly walked away from her.
    I only bark at their dog. It’s a game for the two of us. We run back and forth along the fence and bark at each other. I've played the same game with all my other doggie friends on the otherside of the fence.
    Mama & Pops try to get me to stop as soon as I get out of control (They Always Have), but sometimes they just can’t drop everything at that very moment to come get me. For the most part I am good in my yard, except when I hear my friends making phone calls I feel the need to answer them… that’s what this new neighbor doesn’t like. She says I interfere with her enjoyment of sitting on her porch. (I guess she doesn't mind her neighbor kids climbing on her fence and taunting her dog and me and Anderson nextdoor.)

The solution for now has been that Mom & Pops take me out in my own fenced back yard on a leash. But, I’m afraid my days of enjoying my own backyard by myself are over- at least until they move away. Mama says, she hopes they move as quickly as everyone else who has lived there does. Seems like there is someone new in that house every six months or so...just when I start to get used to them they move.

Yours Quietly,

Not-So-LOUD –Anymore Louie

Several years ago my dogs were barking at the cars and people in the parking lot behind my house. At the time all I had was a chain link fence. As a temporary measure, I attached several sheets of thin, cheap plywood to the wire fence. It kept the dogs from seeing the people, thus cutting the barking down some. Now I have a wooden fence and the dogs are satisfied that they don't have to "save" me. Maybe you could try using cardboard just to see if that could work. If it does, then go to something more attractive.

Awwwwe, that is so sad that YOU have to be the one that is quiet. You were there first. :-( Sorry that you have no so nice neighbors that just don't understand what being a dog is all about.

Maybe the "silk screen" would be a good idea so that you're not so tempted to answer the "video conference call."

Oh Honey! they will learn to enjoy your song..................... and will come to appreciate you. just try for now to be a bit quieter, I know it's hard but you can do it. and kiss your mom for us ok?
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be