Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I went to the SPCA today

A different point of view on shelter visits...

Well, my husband and I do visit a nearby shelter whenever we can. It is clean and well run and is no-kill shelter yet most of their animals get good homes. They have a couple of 'old faithfuls' who call the shelter their 'home' and are loved by all.

We don't feel bad when we go except when we have to realize we simply aren't allowed to keep a pet where we are. What we give instead to each of them, is a precious time of attention, affection, and love. We play with, pet, or cuddle as they wish, not as we wish. They get treats if they're allowed and not on medication or some such. Sometimes we take the dogs out individually for a bit of exercise. It's loving and loved in return.

Before we leave, we chat with the people who run the shelter and make our usual donation. We feel rejuvenated and more determined than ever to get into a situation where pets are possible despite job location.

It's all in the point of view. I agree kill shelters are tough to stomach but still, one has to spread love and TLC as best one can for "Even as you do unto the least of these, ye do so unto me." Quote attributed to Jesus of Nazareth in The Bible.

Callie

Quote Originally Posted by Callie
    Well, my husband and I do visit a nearby shelter whenever we can. It is clean and well run and is no-kill shelter yet most of their animals get good homes. They have a couple of 'old faithfuls' who call the shelter their 'home' and are loved by all.

We don't feel bad when we go except when we have to realize we simply aren't allowed to keep a pet where we are. What we give instead to each of them, is a precious time of attention, affection, and love. We play with, pet, or cuddle as they wish, not as we wish. They get treats if they're allowed and not on medication or some such. Sometimes we take the dogs out individually for a bit of exercise. It's loving and loved in return.

Before we leave, we chat with the people who run the shelter and make our usual donation. We feel rejuvenated and more determined than ever to get into a situation where pets are possible despite job location.

It's all in the point of view. I agree kill shelters are tough to stomach but still, one has to spread love and TLC as best one can for "Even as you do unto the least of these, ye do so unto me." Quote attributed to Jesus of Nazareth in The Bible.

Callie
    besides the quote well said. And no I am not bashing Jesus, what I am saying is that we all need to look outside ourselves. It seems that you and your husband do. I wish for the world more people with your mindset.

Thank you for what you do for them and for those of us that do rescues.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be