Thread: Ashley Sick She has Upper Resp. Infection -Question? about Fiona

Ashley Sick She has Upper Resp. Infection -Question? about Fiona

Well, as most of you know a couple of weeks ago my husband and I added a new addition to our family. Fiona has had an URI sine I got her (she was just starting it the day I got her) and she's still battling it. I've so far given her the clamox (sp?) and also she just got done with zithromax (sp?). She is still sneezing yellow stuff. She also was given an immune booster to help her out but that didn't seem to work either. I also had to give her eye drops and she did very well with those and now her eyes look great. But the sneezing is still there.

Should I get her more meds or let her body try to fight it off? She is now 4 months old and I don't want to drug her up but this is taking forever it seems.

I called the vets and they did prescribe more pills but I'm just not sure if she should get them. What do you guys think?

Also, Ashley my 3 yr. old tortie has developed an URI she's coughing, she started 2 days ago I think and last night she woke me and husband up with coughing and he said this morning she was coughing pretty bad so I had to take her into the vets and she looks good other than the coughing. They gave her some antibiotics so hopefully that will help. The vet said the only thing she worries about when a cat has a cough is Asthma. I didn't know cats can get asthma but I don't think it's that because she said normally what happens when a cat has asthma is after they play they will stop and possibly start coughing. Since she was sleeping when that happened last night I really doubt its asthma.
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 09-13-2007 at 03:42 PM.

You might try a second opinion for Fiona. Those two antibiotics are fairly common for URI's and fairly potent. It's possible there could be another cause for the URI or it just needs more time. I'd try picking up the prescription and if that doesn't work seek a second opinion if it was me.

Animals can have athsma just like people.

And like people sometimes environmental things can set them off. We have a dog that visits our hospital occasionally who has had a bad cough for about a year now. We did everything medically but the dog coughs because of environmental reasons, his owner drowns himself in cologne!!! I'm not kidding this guy can walk in the door, be in there less than 3 minutes, walk out and we can STILL smell his cologne 4 hours after he's gone even with the windows open and the fans on!! So strong odors (purfume, cologne, sprays etc) can cause coughing from asthma.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I Have No Real Experience With Uris , So All I Can Do Is Prayers For You Dear Little Cat Companions And That The Meds That Your Vet Give You Do The Job!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks prays are always welcomed

How are the kitties doing?? Any relief to the coughing?

She's still coughing a little bit but hopefully soon she will stop she still has a couple days of the meds.

Thanks for asking Jenn,
    Melissa