Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiking in Canada with Huskies!! (Lots of Pics)

Hiking in Canada with Huskies!! (Lots of Pics)

I went hiking today in the Yukon. We went just inside the Canada border and found an amazing trail! It was great. The best part? The women I was hiking with brought her two huskies, Day and Cruise. They are retired sled dogs. Cruise came from a famous musher (his name slips my mind) who has run the Iditarod 4 times. Back in his day, Cruise was an excellent lead dog, now at the age of 15 he spends his time hiking and enjoying the scenery with his owner Gail. Day is the "baby" of the family at about 8 years old. I got some amazing shots of Day, be prepared to have your breath taken away!

Cruise

Both Dogs

Cruise rolling in the grass, lol!

Sweet Boy

Both Pups

Rubbing on mom, lol! Silly Cruise

Day

Look at that sky!

She stretched out in the grass and just allowed me to shoot tons of shots

Look at that face!

Day with the 3 guards men in the back ground

Day sitting with the 3 guards men in the back

I hope you enjoyed! I had so much fun with these dogs. Now I am even more antsy to get home to Georgia and see my kids. I can't beleave it's been 3 months since the last time I saw them. Time sure does fly, but I miss them more then anything.

Ashley
    Last edited by Aspen and Misty; 09-04-2007 at 01:38 AM.
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Beautiful dogs and wonderful scenery - I'm so glad you enjoyed your Canada visit!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Ashley, those pictures take my breath away! Thanks for sharing them with us!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

You're so lucky to have seen such a beautiful area! Day and Cruise are gorgeous dogs. I love the last shot.

Oh how SWEET!!!

Great pictures!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Gorgeous dogs & spectacular scenery! Well, this made my morning!
    Cruise sure looks great for 15!!! And the picture of Day snoozing in the tundra is so sweet. Glad to see you are still enjoying your trip. Your furkids are going to be so excited to see you when you finally go home! How much longer are you there for?

Wow! Fifteen years old and he's still hiking! That's impressive! Great photos! I can smell the clean, refreshing air!
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Thanks everyone! We had so much fun romping around the Yukon.

elizabethann - Cruise certainly did have some typical signs of old age, however I was shocked the way he climbed that mountain! If you mulitply it out, Cruise is what, 105 in humans years? I hope I can still climb mountain at 105, lol. Everyone does age slower here in Alaska, Gail (the women I went with, Cruise and Day's mom) is 83. No way right I'm not lieing to you. There is something about this place where everyone looks 20 years younger then they are. It's joke between my friends and I that if you look at a resident and say they look so old, add 20 years and you have there real age.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    Glad to see you are still enjoying your trip. Your furkids are going to be so excited to see you when you finally go home! How much longer are you there for?
    I'm still having so much fun. I've recently beeing kayaking, hiking and catching wild eagles. Who could ask for a more interesting life? However I am terribly home sick and just thinking about home makes me want to be there now. I'm terribly torn though, because I'm not ready for all of this to be over, I just miss my family and friends like crazy. I find the biggest reason I want to be home is to see Nova and Konnor. I just want to be home with them again. This trip has made me realize many things about myself, one of them is that I could never live without a dog by my side.
    About them being exicted to see me: I keep having this nightmare where neither of them recognize me and they greet me like just another vistor. I don't know what to expect when I walk through the door. I don't know if they will greet me like it's been 10 million years like they usually do or if they will greet me like they greet one of my other family members when they have been gone for awhile.

I come home on the 27th. 23 more days.

Ashley

First off, you KNOW those dogs would never forget you How could they?!

And man...she's 83 Wow! I wish I would look like that when I'm that age!

Have fun with the rest of your stay Ashley!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen and Misty
    Rubbing on mom, lol! Silly Cruise
    83?!!! NO way! I'm moving to Alaska! Land of huskies and, apparently, the Fountain of Youth! Who could ask for more?
    OF COURSE they'll recognize you, silly!

Great pictures! The dogs are gorgous!

Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Hey, I've been there! That area at least. It's gorgeous. The Haines Highway is one of my favorite drives.

Great pics.

Beautiful pictures and beautiful dogs. I really love the one that Angie reposted. I am so glad that you got this opportunity, you will always treasure the experience. I am sure the dogs will be beside themselves with happiness when they get the opportunity to see you again.

Quote Originally Posted by anna_66
    First off, you KNOW those dogs would never forget you How could they?!
    A huge heart felt hug goes out to you Anna for the reassuring post

Cyber-sibes- It's amazing. I can tell you the key to living a long, healthy life. Happiness. Plain and simple. These people are more happy just getting by day to day then most people I know in Atlanta. It's amazing. I've never met anyone like the people here.

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    Hey, I've been there! That area at least. It's gorgeous. The Haines Highway is one of my favorite drives.
    I figured you had been there since you said you have been to Haines before! LOL. It's great to have been in the same place as you then lol. Do you know the Three Guards Men's pass? Thats where we hiked.

Ashley