Thread: Saluki

Saluki

This will be a rather boring thread but just recently I became aware of the breed known as "Saluki". I've met two of them and they seem to me to be really exotic looking dogs. I love their ears, long muzzles and feathered tails.

A friend of mine told me they are sight hounds and I found that interesting. I've been googling the breed to learn more, but I thought it'd be neat to see if anyone on PT had info or experience with the breed. I'd love to hear what people know about this breed

How can this be a boring thread when its about Salukis!?

Such pretty dogs. I oooohed when i read the thread title and wondered what we'd be talking about in this thread.

I know they're also related to the Afghan Hound.

I have never got to meet a Saluki in person, but I'd LOVE to. I have seen them a few times on TV. (Like on PBS programs.)

Quote Originally Posted by ratdogg
    This will be a rather boring thread but just recently I became aware of the breed known as "Saluki". I've met two of them and they seem to me to be really exotic looking dogs. I love their ears, long muzzles and feathered tails.

A friend of mine told me they are sight hounds and I found that interesting. I've been googling the breed to learn more, but I thought it'd be neat to see if anyone on PT had info or experience with the breed. I'd love to hear what people know about this breed
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/3103_dogs.html

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/dogs/worl-nf.html
    Last edited by crow_noir; 09-03-2007 at 11:27 PM. Reason: adding links

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

ooh yes, i can definitely see afghan hound in their face. As for their coat they are like a shorter haired version to me The two I met were beautiful. One was mostly black and the other had a chestnut color.

The one's I've met acted much like greyhounds. They're also the mascott for a college I'm looking at, Southern IL U. Everything there is named for something Eqyptian.

Niņo & Eliza

Oh jeez, my memory of the history of the sighthound is very very foggy, so all I can say definitively is that the Saluki is a very ancient breed and retains primal sighthound characteristics. Unfortunately, cancer is not an uncommon disease in this breed. Still, overall, Salukis are very healthy (as are most sights).

Since they are sighthounds, they don't have a very high drive to please their owner. Their original function was to seek prey and to run it down. There is absolutely no human intervention. Therefore, sighthounds usually don't make the best obedience competitors. Some people mistake this for "low intelligence". WRONG WRONG WRONG. Sighthounds are very intelligent in ways that humans can never imitate (can *you* catch sight of an animal and run up to 40 mph to chase it down?).

Sighthounds are the best. What can I say? They're all greyt!!

I've never had one but I think they are pretty dogs. They remind me of a gray hound and like toehrs said the afghan too.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I *love* Salukis!! Here's a photo of one of the first Salukis I met in person back in 1982. I've been a fan of sighthounds since I was a little kid....

Here's a very pretty spotted Saluki from 1992....

And a smooth haired Saluki from 1994....

These photos were all taken at the annual local AKC dog show.

~*~*And he says 'Rhiannon don't go.... Rhiannon stay'.... And he still cries out for her.... 'Don't leave me.... don't leave me now'....*~*~

Ah, I love salukis too. I've only ever met one, but she was a lovely dog; very even tempered and gentle.

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    Their original function was to seek prey and to run it down. There is absolutely no human intervention.
    Yes, I think nomadic tribes use three animals to hunt; the arab horse, the hawk and the saluki. The saluki retrieves the prey of the hawk, I think. Something along those lines, it was a while since I read about it. So no, I don't think they like an excess of human company.

ETA: Just realised how old this thread is, and what happened to the OP.

Zimbabwe 07/13

I've had two different Salukis in the far decades of my ancient past. I loved them, they are wonderful dogs.

They are true to their independent sighthound nature. This is hard coded. So someone that wants a cloying obedient pet, best look elsewhere. That said, people that are very good at understanding 'dog' and are attracted to sighthounds seem to do very well with them.

Indoors they tend to be very calm, easygoing and sedate (when mature). Some Saluki people have built amazing dog houses for them complete with TV and couches (seen in breed newsletters!). Salukies, like cats, know how to find and get on the softest comfortable places in the home.

Outdoors, they are energetic, and love to stretch their legs. You cannot really have small free-ranging pets that may catch their eye. They are very quick on the kill. They can jump pretty high so you need good fencing. There are stories of Salukis taking cooked/cooling holiday Turkeys down from the top of the fridge. (people that share these stores are often laughing, the love is obvious).

Salukies are also one of those breeds that seem to recognize their own kind pretty well. They have unique ways of playing with each other. It is awesome watching them, almost like watching fairies whose toes almost never touch the ground except to leap again.

Mine were were lightly feathered on the ears, but even so, the back of the ears tangle pretty easily into silky grannyknots of the century so they need attention at least once a week. Tail feathering is coarser in texture and relatively easy to care for. Heavily feathered ears are sometimes protected with snoods to keep them from getting into waterbowls and food dishes. (There are smooth salukis as well.)

Temperamentwise, the two I had about twenty years apart were polar opposites. The first one was social and bold (as much one might see on that end of the bell curve in the breed), and the other one was terribly skittish, shaky and spooky. In generally you will probably find more dogs in the middle of that spectrum. I'm not sure why I was so 'lucky', but it sure did teach me a lot about not drawing conclusions on a breed based on one good or bad experience. I loved both dogs and remember them fondly.
    Semavi Lady Visit the blog!