Thread: Ants! Eek!!

Ants! Eek!!

Poor Pork Chop must have sat on an ant hill because last night he was covered in welts! He looked miserable; like a super bumpy doggie.
    We have him some Benedryl, an oatmeal bath and rubbed some hydrocortisone cream on.
    I hope he is better today.

Poor Pork Chop. I hope he is feeling better soon!

Re: Ants! Eek!!

Hi! Pork Chop,
    Sheba, Rocky and Pepper here,
    wishing for all those bad lumps to go away.

----<---<--<{(@

Have you ever heard of Tea Tree Oil? It is wonderful for any kind of insect bites. Just apply to the welts several times a day and it takes the itch/sting out and the welts usually disappear within a day without causing the little blister thingys. You can usually find it in the health/beauty aids sections of grocery stores.
    Mom of 5 dogs, 6 cats, a bird, and a donkey!
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291557495

Thanks for the suggestion.
    He is much better today. No more 1/2 dollar sized welts!

Just a little itchy and the cream seems to be working.

Silly dog! Ants bite!

Poor baby, I hope he's ok.

Those ants can be dangerous. Buffy was bitten not too long ago and my daughter had to rush her to the vet. She gave us quite a scare since her face was totally swollen. She was given antibiotics and kept in observation for a couple of hours. For a dog Buffy's size, being bitten could have been deadly. We'll need to be more careful when she goes on the grass from now on.
    Barbi
    on behalf of Lady/Tobi/Buffy
    http://www.cutefamilypets.com
    a great site for all animal-lovers!
    Has your pet been featured yet?

Well, we weren't sure last night cuz there was A LOT of BIG bites... so my roommated called the Emergency Vet and they basically said we did the right things and it wasn't an emergency.

And since he is better today I think he won't go to the vet.

He's a good sized dog so maybe that helped? I don't know.

but thanks again everyone!

OUCH What a nasty experience!!! Makes me feel creepy crawley just thinking about it. Hope he recovers quickly and remembers where not to sit his butt down next time

It happened again last night. Are ants really the problem? Did he do it again??

Smokey and I were on the couch and P.C. was being whiney, I thought it was just cuz he couldn't fit up there with us.
    So I got up and played with them and things were fine. Then he was whiney again even though I made room for him on the couch.
    So I said, OK, we'll all go lay in my bed, ya big baby.

We went upstairs and we all layed down but he was still whiney. So I took a closer look and noticed he was starting to look bumpy again and there were small welts appearing on the underneath part of his hind legs.
    I called my roommate and told her; she asked me to give him some Benedryl and she was on her way home.

I didn't see him this morning, but I know he was hurtin' and swelling up last night.
    I gave the dogs eggs w/ their dinner on Tuesday (the first time it happened) and yesterday but Smokey is OK and P.C. didn't start to welt up until 4-5 hours later. What I've read about food allergies is that the reaction will occur within about 20 minutes so I don't think it's the eggs (plus, he had one w/ dinner over the weekend and was fine).

SO... I'll see how he is today... And if my roommate is planning on taking him to the vet or what. Poor fella.

AWWWW get well soon Pork Chop!

-Kayla
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCA(Future Cledus's of America)
    FTC(Future Twister Chaser)
    FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)
    FFA(Future Farmers of America)

Get Well Soon PorkChop!
    Poor Porkchop!
    Those darn ants!

Wal Mart sells a solution for ant bites. It comes in a small squirt bottle that looks like a Visine bottle. It has a red label and it really works on ant bites and other bug bites. Just put a drop on the bite and wait a couple of minutes. The itch goes away and the bite doesn't fill with liquid the way it would if left alone.

It helps to catch it as soon as possible. I've used it on myself. Those bites that really never went away (for weeks!) are gone in a day or two.

Mary

Call a landscaping company or look on the Net for something you can spread over the yard that kills ants. Better to contain the source than trying to fix the problem after it happens. There must be something that would get rid of the ants yet not be toxic to animals, two leggers or four leggers.