Thread: Hey ya'll-need some doggie info!

Hey ya'll-need some doggie info!

Hey everyone it's been a while, hasnt it? well i am just looking for a little advice on Newfoundland dogs.
    I will be getting one in the spring of 2009 and am looking to become quite familiar with the breed before hand.
    I've read that they are actually ancestors of the labrador, and WAY BACK WHEN they were bred with a mastiff and now it's what we call a Newfoundland
    So...if thats true and they are ancestors of a labrador...it should be pretty easy right? I mean com'on whats harder then 3 PUPPY labradors lol!
    thanks all in advance!

Newfoundlands are awsome dogs. Big, hairly, drooly, sweet...what's not to love? lol

Here is a breed review that I found:
    "The AKC Standard says, "Sweetness of temperament is the hallmark of the Newfoundland."

Calm, dignified, and generally quiet, he does best in a spacious home in the suburbs or country, preferably in a nonhumid climate, ideally with access to a lake or pond.

To stay fit, the Newfoundland needs long daily walks. Swimming is much appreciated. He loves to romp in the snow, and pulling a cart or carrying a backpack gives him a purpose in life.

This kindly breed is good-natured with everyone, especially children, though they should be as well-behaved as he is. He is very sociable and needs more companionship than many other breeds -- he doesn't do well when left alone for long periods.

Early socialization is critical in developing a stable temperament, for some male Newfoundlands are aggressive with other male dogs, and a very few may be dominant-aggressive toward people. Excessive shyness is also seen.

The Newfoundland is not a pushover -- he has an independent streak and must learn his manners -- but he responds well to patient obedience training. Motivate him with praise and food rewards rather than jerking on the leash, for this breed may have a giant body, but his mind and heart are sensitive. Harshness only makes him skittish and distrustful.

Females are most willing to please, while males may be more hardheaded. Newfs pant a lot, drink a lot (sometimes dunking half of their head into their water bucket), and are champion droolers."

History
    In Newfoundland, Canada, he hauled fishermen's nets and carts and carried lifelines to shipwrecked vessels.

Size
    26-32 inches and 100-150 lbs
    I guess I picture them like a Bernese Mountain Dog - huge, hairy, drools a ton, but with the temperment of a Lab.
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

Please be sure your Newfie puppy has been checked for SAS. It is a common heart disease in Newfies. If yours has it, you won't have the pup very long. I know, my RB Mandy had it. Good Luck!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

When we go to the RI Pet Expo in March each year, the newfies are all sporting bibs to catch all that drool and keep their coats nice. Special bibs made just for newfies, of course!

Didn't you have 4 labs? XD Sorry, I lose track.

hey sorry to me so long to reply! nope, im a 3 dog mom currently!
    it'll be a while but im still really excited! the breeder isnt too interested in talking to me right now though...i think she'd prefer to sell the puppies she currently has instead of the puppies that arent here till 2009 lol!
    ill keep everyone posted though