Thread: Cooking Question.

Cooking Question.

OK, sometimes when I am making soup, the potatoes never seem to cook, and I can't figure out why.

For instance, now I am making potaje, and I added the potatoes right away, so they would have a long cooking time, but they are still solid!!!

Why?

I think it depends on the type of potato. There are several types here and each have different cooking times. One cooks rather quickly, another is moderate time and yet another is slow cooking. I don't know the names for the different types in english. There is one for gnocchi...this one cooks very quickly. There are others for mashed potato, fries, and boiling these cook in a moderate amount of time not super quick but it doesn't take them long either. And there are others for roasting and baking. These take quite some time to cook. They are extremely hard when they are raw as well.

Do you cook the potatoes whole or in pieces? And maybe when you make soups you could try cooking them in a pressure cooker. This will speed up the cooking time as well.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

I make sure the potatoes are submerged in liquid at all times. This helps them cook thoroughly. Make sure they're cut up into bite-sized pieces.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

OK, I just put them on a high boil and stirred like crazy for five minutes, and it seemed to soften them up.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering if it has anything to do with the salt.

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    I make sure the potatoes are submerged in liquid at all times. This helps them cook thoroughly. Make sure they're cut up into bite-sized pieces.
    That's what I do as well. Submerged and bite sized pieces. If the soup or whatever is already hot, 10 minutes is usually plenty of time. Good luck!

Blanche to spuds for 10 mins prior to adding the other items, always works for me

Yes we live with cats visit www.aarrff.org

Tater Trivia?

Taters suckup salt..If you put too much salt into a soup peel and add a potato, that will absorb the extra!