Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oh. wonderful!

oh. wonderful!

I have ANOTHER medical proceedure to go through. I have to get a colonoscopy when they get it set up. I've never had one, but it doesn't sound too thrilling to me. Has anyone gone through this? Kind of apprehensive.
    Last edited by davidpizzica; 08-31-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling

David - I never have had one of these...I understand they can be uncomfy, but not really painful. Hopefully an experience person will reply here!

HOWEVER - Tammy Faye Bakker died of colon cancer that spread everywhere. She had one initial successful treatment...but in her interview on Larry King, she said she had gone bleeding for ONE YEAR because she didn't want a male doctor examining her there!

That was her excuse anyway - and it cost her dearly. Cost her everything.

So - good for you for going through with this!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    David - I never have had one of these...I understand they can be uncomfy, but not really painful. Hopefully an experience person will reply here!

HOWEVER - Tammy Faye Bakker died of colon cancer that spread everywhere. She had one initial successful treatment...but in her interview on Larry King, she said she had gone bleeding for ONE YEAR because she didn't want a male doctor examining her there!

That was her excuse anyway - and it cost her dearly. Cost her everything.

So - good for you for going through with this!
    Thanks Catty for the info. It doesn't sound like a walk in the park, but I believe I really need to find out what's going on there.

You will be sedated during the procedure. The preparation is the uncomfortable part.

As a general rule you will be directed to a doctor of the same sex for the procedure. And of course, you can request a doctor of the same sex if it makes you more comfortable.

There are 2 prep procedures. For one, you drink gallon or so of a fluid made up at the pharmacy. Kind of a chalky thing. For the other, you take tablets and drink sodas. Not colas. I think it was Lemon Lime or some such, they will tell you.

Do thee tablets it is a MUCH easier prep. ASK for it if they give you a prescirption for the other method.

David I had one and I can tell you the test is a piece of cake. You simply sleep. The prep the night before sort of ties you to the bathroom if you get my drift. I mean you seriously won't be able to leave there. The stuff I drank was a lemony-lime but had a very salty flavor. It was a chore to get it all down. That all said, there is nothing in the world quite like having your doctor tell you afterward that everything looks fine.

David, like the others have said, the prep is the worst as you will be asleep for the actual procedure. My prep consisted of some over the counter dulcolax and then mixing (again over the counter) miralax with water. I drank the mixture slowly, kind of sipping it until I had it all gone. And then I spent my time in the bathroom!

Although I am only 45, I had my first colonoscopy just a few months ago. My mother is a colon cancer survivor.... so myself and my sisters have all had to have the procedure starting when we turned 45. For me, the doctor removed, as he said, "a fairly large sized pre-cancerous polyp". Had I NOT had the procedure done at 45, and instead waited..... who knows what would have happened.

All in all.... the prep and the anxiety was well worth it all!.

You will be fine. You won't remember any of the procedure.
    Proud Meowmie of Sasha

RIP sweet Tabitha, my heart kitty. You are loved and missed every day. 1988 - 2010

Been there, done that.

I just had my second one on Aug. 17th. The prep is the trying part. Each hospital/doctor has their own little set of instructions and suggestions. I was not totally sedated this time, so that the recovery time (they are trying to get folks up and the hell out of the hospital) is quicker than if you were totally sedated! I was admitted at 8AM and home by 11AM, with 2 hours of that time for travelling!

I have had this proceedure done twice now and both times they discovered pre-cancerous areas. I now have to go back every three years. I am happy to do so.

So, for all those folks 50 and over, they need to get with it and go schedule themselves for a colonoscopy! It isn't fun but it sure is necessary.

Good luck.

david, mine is booked for 10/15. the test doesn't hurt. any and all stool in your colon needs to be out so the doctor can see all of the lining of the intestine, check with your gastroenterologist if they want you to eat a low residue diet for a few days and then do the prep. the prep is the most unpleasent part, invest in a padded toilet seat, save a few people magazines or other reading material. the day of the test, wear easy to get out of clothes like sweat pants and a tee shirt. the nurse who runs the sedation part is usually really good about getting into a vein, she'll give you a low dose of something to relax you and right before the test starts you roll onto your left side, she gives you the rest of the sedative, and you wake up an hour or so later. the tube the doctor looks through is small and very very well lubricated, a bit of air is used to inflate the colon, sometimes, and you might be a tiny bit gassy later that afternoon. you'll be hungry after the test. i worked for doctors who did this 2 days a week, so if you want any more info PM me. your doctor is smart to ask you, and you're very smart to get it done, colo-rectal cancer is very treatable if caught early.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Quote Originally Posted by joycenalex
    david, mine is booked for 10/15. the test doesn't hurt. any and all stool in your colon needs to be out so the doctor can see all of the lining of the intestine, check with your gastroenterologist if they want you to eat a low residue diet for a few days and then do the prep. the prep is the most unpleasent part, invest in a padded toilet seat, save a few people magazines or other reading material. the day of the test, wear easy to get out of clothes like sweat pants and a tee shirt. the nurse who runs the sedation part is usually really good about getting into a vein, she'll give you a low dose of something to relax you and right before the test starts you roll onto your left side, she gives you the rest of the sedative, and you wake up an hour or so later. the tube the doctor looks through is small and very very well lubricated, a bit of air is used to inflate the colon, sometimes, and you might be a tiny bit gassy later that afternoon. you'll be hungry after the test. i worked for doctors who did this 2 days a week, so if you want any more info PM me. your doctor is smart to ask you, and you're very smart to get it done, colo-rectal cancer is very treatable if caught early.
    ` At 59 I feel this proceedure is way, WAY over due! I will PM you with any more questions and make sure my "home away from home" has plenty of reading material! I can even watch my portable DVD player in there. I want to thank you and everyone else that has respomded for relaxing me about this and helping me feel more confident about having this done.

I've never had one, but Dad has, and he described it to me in gory detail - as the others said, the prep is the worst part. He had some pre-precancerous cells removed, and that was the best part - getting the "all clear"!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    I've never had one, but Dad has, and he described it to me in gory detail - as the others said, the prep is the worst part. He had some pre-precancerous cells removed, and that was the best part - getting the "all clear"!
    Karen, I'm going to line up my favorite DVD movies and watch them as I uh, "go"! As I said, at 59 I'm WAY overdue.

My Dad just had one of those, he hated it. Said the prep was the worst part to, but the rest was easy since you are sedated through it.

Anyway, this ONE procedure can save you from alot of pain and worrying, if you have or think you have colon cancer.

Hope it goes well!

Everyone I talked to said the procedure is the worst part and that you're asleep during the actual procedure. I still (yeah, yeah I know) need to set up an appointment for mine. Sheer laziness on my part.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

hey donna, remember this? i'm doing it, david is doing it, sirrahbed, slick, donnaj4962, redhedd and pam have done it too. all the "cool" kids are doing it, join us, be cool too .....06-29-2007, 02:54 PM ...moosmom....QUOTE...
    I called my doctor's office today and they're going to set it up for me. I KNOW it's gotta be done, but I'm looking forward to it about as much as chewing glass!!
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.