View Poll Results: Are you afraid of sharks?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I love sharks!

17 43.59%
  • They are ok, I sometimes worry about them.

15 38.46%
  • Deathly scared of them!

3 7.69%
  • I don't go in the water at the beach.

4 10.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you afraid of SHARKS?

Are you afraid of SHARKS?

Are you afraid of them?

I am not afraid of them when I go to the beach, USUALLY that is the last of my worries when enjoying the beach but lately I've been deathly afraid of them. Watching "jaws" before you go to the beach, NOT a good idea. Don't do it. But overall, No, I am not afraid of them. My Dad studied them in college for a bit and he educated me from a young age that they are beautiful creatures and you just need to know how to prevent an attack and such. I really do love sharks, every single species of them and I actually find them cute, well SOME of them. Great whites are beautiful animals and I respect them.

I also think people need to be more educated on Sharks before the jump to conclusions about them. My aunt needs a lot of education, she thinks they attack anything that moves..um not true. Every time I try and tell her she acts like a Mrs. know it all. Figures...I'll never get her.

I don't like them very much, but I try not to worry about them while in the water. I answered as there okay since there wasn't really I don't like them but I don't worry or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese_Love
    Watching "jaws" before you go to the beach, NOT a good idea. Don't do it.
    LOL...... right in that statement!!.....LOL
    when younger I even had this fear feeling while on a pool ...... I donīt know why but I had it even there.....

Iīm not concerned about them as I donīt go often to beaches, but when I do I usually donīt go that deep in the water, and I do have more concern about jellyfish and that......

I think Sharks are the Pitties of the sea world......IMO
    Corinnaīs Christmas Card Swap ī06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da Houseī10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

LOL, Husky_mom I will never do that again!

I agree, they are really misjudged, especially great whites. I usually don't go that deep either, I go like knee deep but my dad said they can go in any feet of water. Really, the most aggressive sharks are hammerheads and Tiger sharks. It's pretty rare when a Great white will attack, but I guess because they are more scary looking.

Anyway, people need to stop being so ignorant and educate themselves about these animals.

Not afraid at all. I love them. The only reason why I'm not afraid of them is I know what to do if one attacks me. You just punch it's eye or gill and it will let go of you. Sharks are the best!! yay!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Am I scared of them? Yes. I wouldn't swim up to one and pet it, if that's what you're asking But I am not worried about them when I'm at the beach. I don't live close to the gulf but I still grew up in a beachy atmosphere, since my parents were both boaters and grew up in a city on the beach. We went to the beach all the time and sharks never really crossed our mind. We were more worried about jellyfish, to be honest.

Does anyone remember in 2001 when a little boy had his arm bitten off by a shark in the Pensacola, FL area, and the uncle (or some other relative) was able to get the limb out of the sharks mouth? (I can't remember the specifics, the shark was killed though I think, but anyway ...) Well, my family and I were on that exact same beach not even a mile away from where it happened, and just 4 hours before. We were really shocked but it never has stopped us from going back. I think a shark encounter is just one of those things that people fear even though getting in a car accident is probably far more likely.

I don't even know why I'm rambling on about this, must be the lack of sleep and 2 lecture classes this morning

I love sharks but would never want to be near one lol,

Unless it's a really small breed that I've seen some divers hand feed meat.

I'm indifferent. I'm not afraid of them, but I don't love them.
    They're pretty and fascinating to watch, but other than that, they aren't "amazing" to me.

I have no reason to be afraid of them.

Well of course I am! After watching all the movies Called Jaws, I will certainly always be afraid of sharks!!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

No, i love them! I think they are beautiful animals that are misjudged.

Someone was bitten near me a few days ago...I've always thought they were beautiful, but I generally stay out of the ocean anyways. Too cold!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I'm not really afraid of them, but if I lived near an ocean (which I don't), I'd stay as far out of their way as possible just like I would any other wild animal.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I think they are cool, but sometimes i can let
    my thinking get to me lol, but as long as they
    dont bite me im good
    ~Labrador Luver~

Quote Originally Posted by sammy101
    No, i love them! I think they are beautiful animals that are misjudged.
    I am so glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Many peaople think sharks should all die just because they attacked someone. What people don't understand is when you are going in the ocean, you are taking a risk. You go into the sharks' home and if you come across one it might attack, thinking you are prey.

Because of the movie Jaws, everyone thinks sharks are monsters and people go killing sharks (keep in mind 40 thousand sharks a year are kill by people) will really hurt us. The whole enviroment will be all messed up. There will be less fish, believe it or not there will be.

So next time you think of a shark, think of it more like a animal and less like a monster.
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

I love them. The more study is done on whites, the more intellegent they are proving to be. Of course, they are wild animals. I find it funny people are afraid of sharks but not tigers. If you went to a game reserve in India you wouldn't be thinking"omg the tigers are going to eat me!" I also love the fact that some species can be hand fed. ANyone else watch shark week? This year Mythbusters did a sharkweek special, Adam was punching sharks!

Niņo & Eliza