Thread: Questions on 7 in 1 puppy shots

Questions on 7 in 1 puppy shots

Questions for the group. How long can a 7 in 1 puppy shot stay out of the refrigerator before it is spoiled? In a room temperature of about 70 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by frawri
    Questions for the group. How long can a 7 in 1 puppy shot stay out of the refrigerator before it is spoiled? In a room temperature of about 70 degrees.
    That's a very difficult question to answer. The first sub-question is what is in a 7 in 1 puppy shot??? A dead multi-vaccine will hold up better than a live vaccine preparation. It might be worth a shot to give the manufacturer a call, and see if by some small chance they performed any vaccine potency studies at room temperature (e.g. measured live bacteria and/or virus titers after allowing the vaccine stand to at room temperature for varying periods of time). They may or may not have. Most vaccine manufacturers would likely measure the titers under recommended refrigerator temperatures for some time points. There is an extremely high probability that the manufacturer will tell you to use it immediately upon removal from refrigeration, else they will not vouch for the potency of the vaccine.

If in doubt ... re-vaccinate.

Would it cause any adverse reactions if given to a puppy? I found out later from my husband how long it had sat out. Their was two vials, one with a dried med and one with liquid. You mix them right before you use the product. Does that help any one to have an idea?

Would depend on how long it was out. Not as bad since you have to mix the 2 but if more than 24hrs I don't think I would take a chance.It might not be any good by now.

An example of why I don't agree with anyone other than a licensed vet doing vaccinations of any kind.

A vet and their staff are trained on proper storage of a vaccine and they are never removed from refrigeration until ready to use immediately. Vets buy their vaccines from reputable manufacturers and distribitors which always overnight ship with ice packs to maintain the vaccines and put immediately into refrigeration, packages that are not cold upon arrival are not accepted and the company must re-ship them. I don't know how well vaccines are maintained during or after shipping from pet stores and the like.

Also not all vaccines are created equal. Some vaccines do not vaccinate for all the species of some diseases, like Lepto, that may be prevelant in your area, your vet would be familiar with which ones your puppy would need for your area, your pet store probably does not.

As for re-vaccinating, I wouldn't recommend it within at least a 2 week time period. If that vaccine did have some kind of effectiveness then re-vaccinating before the immune system has had a chance to mount a response will cause the puppy to not develop a proper immune response and could possibly cause the puppy to get sick from overvaccinating.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by frawri
    Would it cause any adverse reactions if given to a puppy? I found out later from my husband how long it had sat out. Their was two vials, one with a dried med and one with liquid. You mix them right before you use the product. Does that help any one to have an idea?
    Dessicated is usually protective for the vaccine. But does the bottle say to store away from light, or to store in a cool place? If so then you are taking a chance using it. Do you want to take a chance of the puppy getting parvo due to a possibly mishandled vaccine?

Also as Catlady points out there are vaccines, and then there are vaccines. Some manufacturers have higher potency vaccines, or newer more effective vaccines, than are sold over the Internet or at a local Farm animal product store. And how they are shipped does count.