Thread: Is it play or fight?

Is it play or fight?

Ok guys, my new foster is being introduced to my guys because I feel he's depressed being locked up by himself and not eating. He NEEDS to eat.

So I am doing supervised introductions. Introductions themselves are going as expected and I'm very proud of how my guys are reacting...... but he's being a bad boy. He's full-on terrorizing Abby. But thats not too hard to do, she thinks bugs are out to get her. He attacks everyone. He'll sit there all quiet and pretty. Then he'll get that stalking look on his face, do the butt wiggle then launch himself onto any one of my guys. He went after Harry and Harry dove under the bed. He followed. All I know is that I saw lots of orange hair go flying.

Is this his way of playing? Or is he one of those cats that needs to be a single kitty?

Single kitty

He seems SO confident around Cameron, giving me impression that he is king of the hill. King=own place.

My opinion, doesn't make me right!

Thats So Hard To Say Whether Its Paly Or Fight Catnapper Asto Most People They Look The Same.
    Are There Fur Flying And Are Teeth And Claws Coming Out?
    Thats When You Moght Have To Worry When One Of Your Cats Could Recieve A Wound That Could Be Infected.
    Pouncer Karina Had Two Encounters On Her Short Visit With John Hancock And The Princess And She Went Into A Full Out Hissssssssssss And Spit Routine.
    The Older Cats Just Stared, I Think Pouncer Karina Was Saying That Shes Not A Push Over.
    I Hope That Your Cats Can Eventually Work Something Out.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Ok, so now I'm confused.

I put him back in his room and locked the door (it doesn't shut unless its locked from the outside) A few hours alter I went in to check on him. Upon opening the door, I saw Pouncer on the bed all content and peaceful. After a stunned moment, he jumped off the bed and ran downstairs. He's all relaxed.... not at all hissy or spooked. Tuscan was hiding under the bed. What on earth went on in that room?

The butt-wiggle and pounce sound like play-time! (And he IS a big cat!)

If there is real screeching, ears FLAT back, howling and blood - THEN that is aggression.

I think he is just a happy guy and likes to play - and wonders what is wrong with everyone else!

One cat at a time in one room...I guess he feels that is "his" room, and there is less of a problem there.

I think once one of the other cats draws the line and smacks him back, things will settle down.

Or - you could put him in his room and bring each cat in one at a time, supervised.

Might have to do the old dab-everyone-with-vanilla-extract trick!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

It kind of sounds like both. When I have had little bouts of that (my Isis gets targeted as well), isolation has worked wonderfully for me. If there are fights or growling, I interrupt them by saying "no" and put them in the crate for a few minutes. It's done well for me.

Well, it is hard to diagnose without seeing the action for yourself, but he sounds PLAYFUL!. Maybe too rough, for your kitties, but he just doesn't sound like he is out to do harm.

I Am The Most Fortunate Of Cat Guardians In That There Have Never Been Major Cat Fights Here. Tubster Has Miquelito Try Towrestle Him, But Hes A Big Cat And Walks On.
    He And JJJ3 Swing But Its Just Macho Time, Nothing Serious.
    Precious And Princess Used To Fued But Old Age Has Settled That One.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Jen you might be right, he does look like he wants to play. He doesn't look vicious but Abby sure thinks he does. She's miserable at the moment

He's out and about again. I put him back in the room whenever I hear any scuffles arise. Usually its a scuffle with Abby and Allen wants nothing to do with him. Allen's looking like evil kitty when this boy comes near.

At least he sounds like he wants to be playful! I tried to get Frankie boy from upstairs to be social downstairs. No such luck. He chases the others, and some pretty vicious growls have emanated from him... at least I think it was him. Sigh... gotta love these "I want to be an only cat" cats.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    Ok, so now I'm confused.

I put him back in his room and locked the door (it doesn't shut unless its locked from the outside) A few hours alter I went in to check on him. Upon opening the door, I saw Pouncer on the bed all content and peaceful. After a stunned moment, he jumped off the bed and ran downstairs. He's all relaxed.... not at all hissy or spooked. Tuscan was hiding under the bed. What on earth went on in that room?
    It's quite easy to know what happened Kim from what you said. Dear Pouncer showed Tuscan just who the boss is in the house.

Like others have said, to me if there is no growling, spitting, hissing or screeching, then I think he is just playing. Mind you, with fur flying he is obviously playing a little to rough.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010