Thread: Golden lab?

Golden lab?

Its either a "yellow lab" or a "golden retriever". There is no "golden lab". I see this way too often. Most times its a labrador of the yellow coat coloring, sometimes it looks like a golden retriever and I don't know if its a mix with lab. People need to stop mixing breed names. Maybe we should go back to using Russian Retriever as the name for a golden retriever.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I believe it's a "designer" breed name. golden/lab mixes are very popular here.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

not always, there are a lot of people who think that Yellow labs are actually callled "Golden labs". thats the problem, Golden/lab mixes are called "Golden Labs", however purebred Yellow labs are also often refered to as "Golden Labs".
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Given the popularity of both breeds, I am not surprised there are many mixes between the two, accidental and not. But also, some people don't know that every color from white to red is officially a "Yellow" Lab, so may call a darker Lab a golden lab.

well intentional or not - designer breed or not -
    a Golden Lab can be exactly what it is said to be. A golden retriever/labrador retriever mix. And in that case, the person would be right in saying they have a Golden Lab MIX...
    most people think Keegan is an Irish Setter - I don't know why - she's too
    'curvy' and too short for an irish Setter. (yup that's it she's CURVY and SHORT just like her momma!!!)
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I thought a golden lab was a golden retriever/labrador retriever mix!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Quote Originally Posted by Genny
    It is.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by Genny
    We called my Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab a Golden Lab because she was a mix of the two

As a kid I didn't realize my mistake in calling all Yellow Labs Golden but as I got older I learned lol

facebook

A lot of people mistakingly say "golden" instead of "yellow" when referring to a yellow Lab. Nova and Luka have both been called golden more times than I can count.

It is also a term used to describe Golden/Lab mixes, which I believe originated at guide dog organizations when they would cross the two breeds to get a better guide dog.

I think as lovers of dogs, we tend to be more exact about specific breeds (and always right, of course ). I tend to forget that everyone is not "up" on the correct breed names like we are! Case in point, my sister, who is a cat person, told me about this beautiful "Golden Lab" she saw at the vet's office. I bit my tongue and didn't correct her, but I came close! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Logan
    I think as lovers of dogs, we tend to be more exact about specific breeds (and always right, of course ). I tend to forget that everyone is not "up" on the correct breed names like we are! Case in point, my sister, who is a cat person, told me about this beautiful "Golden Lab" she saw at the vet's office. I bit my tongue and didn't correct her, but I came close! LOL!!!
    What is bad is that we have a Children's dictionary and for "dog" they have the definition, and then they have pictures of common breeds of dogs. The Lab is one of them....only they call it a Golden Lab. You would think a dictionary of all things would get it right. I crossed out the "Golden" part and wrote yellow. lol
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

this is also a huge peeve of mine. I know many people who refer to pure bred Yellow colored Labrador Retrievers as "Golden Labs"

Niņo & Eliza

At work we have a yellow lab that came in, on the paperwork I wrote yellow lab. The owner got so mad and said in a rude tone, he's a golden lab not yellow. I found it really funny and I was trying to hold my laughs until she left.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)