Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy

Puppy

Well, as you might already know, our Boxer passed away last week. Now we're thinking about getting a new puppy. Our mini schnauzer is depressed and I think it might help all of us to have a puppy around! I'm not sure what breed to get though. I can't get another boxer, I'm still too upset. We need a breed that will get along with our schnauzer and hopefully won't shed too much. Does anyone have any good ideas? We have no kids and we have a house with a backyard. My husband wants a giant schnauzer but I hear they're a real handfull. I think the Boston Terriers are really cute. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Tanya

Do you guys want another larger dog or a smaller dog.

Any puppy that you get will probably get alone with your schnauzer.But will you Schnauzer get along with another dog right now?

Oh Tanya!! What great news! I think little Hans will be thrilled and much comforted. And I think it will be a help in getting you past this very sad and difficult period. Especially if you get a youngster! But of course, the right choice???? What type of temperment is Hans? Sounds like he gets along great with the other pups at doggie day care. Were you thinking of an adult or a puppy? Aside from a Schnauzer, were you leaning more toward a smaller or larger dog? Jackie, a wonderful Schnauzer mom here, could probably give some great advice re: Giant Schnauzers. I have no experience with Schnauzers myself. Please write with a little more info. re: your thoughts about breed and size. You know I'm thinking of you. Hope you got my last email. Love Sandra

Do you guys like to go to the beach often?

I have a great dog for you.It is a Portoguesse Water dog and they don't shed but they do need profeesional grooming I would love to get one of those dogs some day
    Willemyn

------------------

I would think to go to your local shleter and see what kinda good mutts they have there. And most shelters wpould let you bring your dog in and let them like soprta pick which dog they want and you could test how the two of them get along. I myself like big dogs but if you want a small dog my fav small breed is the Maltese! They are sweet little dogs too!! But id much rather have someone go to the pound and save a life then buy a pure bred which has way higher chances of getting adopted!

------------------

*.KayAnn.*&Simba*RuFf*

I think you should get a sheltie. They are a great breed and love other animals. Trust me I should know. We have 5 cats 2 mice2 baby birds and our sheltie Teddy Bear. Teddy thinks he is protector to everyone and everything. He is also a mommie to 5 cats! Sheltie's really don't shed alot although they do have alot of fur! They love other dogs. Our neighbors have 5 shelties and a golden retreiver and everyone gets along great!So if you are looking for a well tempered dog I would defenitly recomend a sheltie!

Nikki, Troy and Baby
    ^ My babies

~:~:~:In memory of Robie the Squerle~:~:~:~:~

The size doesn't really matter. My schnauzer (Hans) is very dominant. As long as he can boss a dog around, he's happy. Which is exactly what happened with our boxer. The big baby!!! Hans is dominant but very social. He goes to doggie daycare where there's about 10 other dogs and cats. Our neighbour has 2 llaso apsos (sp?) and they get along fine. Unfortunately, I live in Canada and there aren't many beaches where I live. I'm not too keen on the Shelties though. I prefer short haired dogs. I love boxers the best (of course), but it's just too soon. It would remind me too much of Rocky. Professional grooming is fine, Hans goes every 4 weeks. He's very spoiled!!! I went to our local shelter today and most of the dogs had tags that they don't get along well with other dogs. I would adopt one, but my husband isn't interested. He wants to raise one together. Remember, Rocky was mine and Hans was his when we met. Hopefully, this is a little bit more information. Love to hear your opinions.

Tanya

I just got my first poodle in March and I am now a poodle addict I would recommend one strongly. Mine happens to be very submissive but I have also known some more dominant poodles. If you got a puppy though, he/she would grow up knowing Rocky is top dog and there shouldn't be a problem. If you wanted a bigger dog, you could go for a standard poodle. Pam has one and I'm sure she'll agree they're wonderful dogs. There are poodle rescues but I doubt you'd find a puppy in one. Let us know what you decide.

Tanya1414-
    I have a Black Lab, named Sadie!! I suggest you get a Labrador Retriever, or a Golden Retriever. T%hey are the most popular dogs, and they are so popular, because they are some of the nicest dogs around!!!! Go to an animal shelter, and you'll probably find one there! Maybe you won't find a Lab or a Golden there, but I'm sure you will find a dog you will fall in love with!!!!

If you don't really have a breed or size preference I would continue looking at your shelter until some puppies come in. It'll be soon enough. Shelters DO GET PUPPIES. Then you shouldn't have any problems with two dogs getting along if you get a puppy. Just my 2 cents!

I have to go along with Aly on this one. Poodles are terrific dogs. I've had 5 (4 are at the Rainbow Bridge). They come in three sizes so you have a lot of choices and they come in many colors too. If you were thinking of a dog the size of a giant schnauzer then a standard poodle would be the right size. They usually weigh about 45-60 lbs. as adults (males are usually at the upper end). There is NO shedding but you do have to commit to grooming every 4-6 weeks. It can be expensive unless you do it yourself like we do.

As everybody knows I am a Schnauzer person, and I'm sure you know Schnauzers are playful, excellent watch dogs, independent, some like children some don't (like mine)and if brushed regularly they do not shed a hair.
    Have you seen the Standard Schnauzer, they are between a Mini and a Giant? I'm sure they have Schnauzer Rescue in Canada like they do here in the states. Whatever kind of dog you decide on good luck in picking out just the right one for you both.

http://www.creatures.com/Canada.html

This link is for Canada Online Pet Resources. It lists rescues and shelters in different areas in case you wanted to look for a specific breed..

Hello, Tanya.
    I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your boxer. Our friend has two and they are great dogs. I know that having a puppy will help to fill the emptiness everyone is feeling in your house. My dog passed away in January of this year and having other animals was really helpful. I think Boston Terriors are cute also. They are good family dogs.
    I am listing a website that will tell you about all different breeds and there is a breed selector area that you answer questions and they will help you find a dog that matches your lifestyle. It is http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/.

Here's another one where you answer questions and they give you the results. http://www1.activebuyersguide.com/ab...3X6cb7&CatID=5

Let us know what you decide.

If you are thinking about getting a Giant Schnauzer, also look into the Bouveir des Flanders (from the movie a Dog of Flanders). My next door neighbor has one named Samson, and the name fits, because he is like a big baby. He's about 6 ft. on his hind legs. They're great dogs.

[This message has been edited by Westie Woman (edited May 16, 2001).]