Thread: Yorkies!

Yorkies!

I recently got a Yorkshire Terrier pup and I love him so much! But I don't really like his attitude. I can't even kiss him anymore without him trying to bite me. What do I do?

The main problems with small dogs like yours stem from the fact that they are so small. You tend to pick them up, cuddle them, let them on furniture that a bigger dog wouldn't be allowed on, feed them treats when they just look cute and allow them to get away with behaviour that would not be accepted from a larger dog.
    Basically training is the answer - dog training. (It is so hard to treat the little cuties like dogs sometimes.) Their size is no indicator of their character. The tiniest lap dog can have a very high opinion of himself and raising his status is what we do when we pick him up, let him on the furniture whenever he feels like it, feed him treats for no reason......see where I'm going?
    Basic obedience for a treat reward is the first step - no rewards AT ALL unless the dog has obeyed a command. Stop putting yourself in a position where he can bite you until he understands this.
    You may think it cruel to stop petting and showing love to your dog in the ways that you have. He is used to it and won't understand - but the dog will show you he his much more settled and a lot happier knowing the rules. Having someone to give him direction and keep him safe, making all the decisions is a natural comfort for your dog. Once you feel you have some control you could try the OUCH! method to stop the biting.

No... it's no good.... I have to say it....I can't help it....

It really is not a good idea for ANY dog to be in a position to bite at your face unless you are 100% sure you are in control of that animal. That is putting yourself in the position of imagining your dog trying to bite and you knowing, really knowing, that you could stop that dog with your voice alone. Think of all the times your dog chooses to ignore your voice.

A little dog should no more be allowed to rule the household because you fear (think about your body language to the dog) being bitten than a Lab, Spaniel, Rottie or anything else. Treat the dog as a dog and he will respond with respect.

Carrie,
    thank you so very much I will definatly try everything you told me to do! Thanks!

I would suggest taking him to doggie triaing lessons with
    a good, trainer.