Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which breed would survive the longest in the wild?

Which breed would survive the longest in the wild?

Okay. This will take a lot of imagination. But, suppose none of us loved our doggies anymore and we turned them out into the wild, to live on their own. Which breed(or mix) do you think would last the longest away from their owners? And which breed would last the shortest time?

I think the German Shepherd would probably last the longest, because they're fast and intelligent. They also have thick fur, but it doesn't get matted or tangled often, which would require human attention.

Sorry to all you Chihuahua lovers, but I don't think they'd last very long. They're so tiny, with short legs, they can't run too fast.

I think the Huskey would last the longest, they are intelligent, have the instinct, and can handle the cold weather. I agree with you and the Chihuahua, I don't think they have a chance in the wild.

Good Question :0)

This is an awful topic! It has only happened a few times in history that dogs were shunned, but even then, they always had a secret following.

In my opinion, no breed in particular would survive long in the wild without a pack. In South and Central America, where packs of feral dogs are the norm, dogs of all sizes belong to the packs. Strength is desired, but intelligence rules the pack. Of course, few or no dogs are "breeds." After a while, when all of the Human characteristics have been selectively bred out, most of these dogs resemble Rhodesian Ridgebacks: Short tan fur or tan with black fur, long thin tails, pointy noses, and ears that flop over at the tips, but not all the way. They are lean, not built wide, with long legs and a straight, slightly arched back. All of these characteristics lend well to a faster runner, not a short distance chest heavy protection dog or a high endurance working dog.

It would also matter where the dog was released. If the only available food is small animals, larger breeds would fare very poorly. Look at relatives like the fox and jackal which are not particulary large, in fact the fox is quite small. These animals thrive where small animals rule. On the other hand, wolves and African wild dogs can be quite large in areas where very large game is prominent. Release a grey wolf in the desert, however, and he would quickly die, but, aside from the climate adjustment, the Jackal would have plenty of food and might even thrive in the north. I can't imagine how quickly a Siberian Husky would die in the desert!

Smaller canine variants are more adaptable because their available food sources are more varied. It is one of the reasons that the coyote's range has grown in the U.S.. It's primary diet is very small animals and anything that it can scavenge. Once again, we are talking about a very lean animal of medium size...

I think the Australian cattledog or the Wolfhuund would last the longest. The AuCaDo has dingo heritage and the Wolfhuund has GSD and wolf heritage so they have better instincts.

I think the shortest surviving would probably be the Great Dane because they depend and rely so much on humans (loyalness) and their fur is so short.

------------------
    *Get a Grip Get an Aussie*

I think maybe the Australian Dingo would survive the best, as they do now.
    Schnauzers would never survive, most of them are spoiled rotten, eat gourmet food, sleep in a bed, gotta have their toys, want to go for rides and expect comfort all their lives.
    And we are here to give it to them.

I agree with Rottie .. GSD are very smart... and them lil taco bell dogs wwould get smushed out there!!!!!! I also think Rotties!!! 'cause they are big dogs and are very smart too!!

Feral dogs tend to organise packs, although small, very quickly. In all areas of the world feral packs are basically mongrels. There are no larger amounts of any one breed in feral communities than any other (per capita of breed in the region). This would suggest that, apart from the obvious non starters ( hairless, toys etc.) that is it down to individual character, condition and age at the time the dog is left to it's own devices rather than breed specific. It is then down to nature and that particular dog to see who is the strongest and most adaptable.
    It is widely accepted that the original dogs that are feral don't, as a rule, last long. Bitches have a better chance than dogs, especially if they are in season. It's the offspring, the mixed breed dogs that are more likely to survive, they not only have their instincts to rely on but the things that they have been taught and the wider genetic experience.

I think the spitz breeds would last the longest.LIke the Husky,Akita,and Malamute because they are independent and still "act" wild in their own way.And the German Shephard would 2nd because they are not as independent as some of the spitz breeds

LOL Doggie Survivor! I agree with Jackie that the dingo would last the longest. However I think the best surviving domesticated dog would be the GSD. As for worst survivor I am not sure, probably that hairless dog... Xoloczuintli or something like that... it has to wear sweaters in the winter and needs sunblock in the summer... definitely too much maintenence! And no offense to my baby Basset Daisy but she wouldn't last a minute without all the kisses, Snausages, and pats I supply her with! And she also refuses to fall asleep without her head on a pillow and a blanket tucked around her. She also has a nice white tip at the end of that constantly-wagging-in-the-air tail. It would practically wave her predators over! I don't even want to think about my spoiled helpless angel out in the wild! She wouldn't do too well. Nope, wouldn't last a minute.

[This message has been edited by Daisy's Mom (edited March 08, 2001).]

What about the Jack Russell? Although they have short coats, they are agile, smart, natural hunters. They would survive in most climates because they have the ability to burrow in cold weather and the short hair would be good in hot weather. They are quick and can hide easily so they would not easily become prey to other animals.
    I think a lot of the terriers would adapt well. The Silky terrier( my dog) is adaptable to hot or cold weather , is agile, has a keen sense for hunting and is very quick. My silky goes out in the woods all the time and stays for hours. He loves it! I use to worry about him getting hurt by wild animals, but after I saw him roll with a raccoon and win, I knew he was ok!!

One more thing, the very small breeds, those of the toy group would not last long because of their size and breeding. We had a very small Yorkshire Terrier and we are convinced that a rather larg hawk got her. It was horrible to think, but she only weighed maybe 4 lbs and those Hawks are massive!!!

I think you also have to factor in the specific environment into which the dog would have to "survive." A Neufie or Lab left in an environment surrounded with water and fowl would survive quite well most likely. Though very "wolf-like" in many aspects, including her abililty to stalk and kill small prey, I know my Husky/shep would DIE if left in a a hot arid enviornment. She literally will dig a hole in the earth in the woods in the summer and climb in. Just tooooo hot! And our summers rarely get above 80 degrees! I think some breeds have had their natural traits and instincts almost completely bred out of them. The more "dog" left in the dog, the more likely to survive in the elements, I suppose!

Akita's hands down

The Akita would outlast them all. They are known to be able to survive on their own with no human interaction at all. They can live out their lives in wild no problem. They are the least removed domesticated dog from the wolf after all....

Blog Entries
    Wolf. What... they're dogs. Someone had to say it.

Rottie

I agree with you on that German Shepherd's would last the longest. Looks like me that they are more closely related to wolf anyway.
    [IMG]05-12-09_2040.jpg[/IMG]