Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Our PT joke thread

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2 View Post
    Why is it good to have Alzheimers during Easter?

You can hide your own Easter eggs.

One of my best friends started showing signs of the disease 3 yrs ago and is getting progressively worse. Our next door neighbour was in a home for 8 yrs just exisiting until his death. It saddens me to see someone make light of this cruel devastating disease.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

This joke was told to me by one of our patients. His wife suffers from Alzheimers. This is his way of coping and who am I to say he is wrong.
    Maybe he learned the joke at a support meeting. Anyway he felt close enough to tell me the joke, I have known him and his wife for 8 years and adore them both. And yes it was funny as all get out.
    My mother in law whom I loved dearly had Alzheimers too. But funny is funny and if you lose your ability to laugh in the face of tragedy well that is a whole different type of death of the brain, the spirit and life.

Why is it good to have Alzheimers during Easter?

You can hide your own Easter eggs.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    This joke was told to me by one of our patients. His wife suffers from Alzheimers. This is his way of coping and who am I to say he is wrong.
    Maybe he learned the joke at a support meeting. Anyway he felt close enough to tell me the joke, I have known him and his wife for 8 years and adore them both. And yes it was funny as all get out.
    My mother in law whom I loved dearly had Alzheimers too. But funny is funny and if you lose your ability to laugh in the face of tragedy well that is a whole different type of death of the brain, the spirit and life.
    Laugh at tragedy??? - not me - so I guess I'm dead!
    But I don't find it surprising that YOU would find it amusing. You - who has referred to certain people as "veggies/veggie salad", and one who thinks that someone breaking into a car should take a bullet to the head...........well - that tells me just what kind of insensitive and radical individual that you are.
    If you found that "joke" - "funny as all get out" - then fine. But you should have kept it to yourself and not posted it here. This isn't the place for your kind of humor, and I'm sure that anyone that has dealt directly with a person suffering from this disease, finds it cruel and insensitive. I did - and I'm not afraid/ashamed to say so. I'm sure that the majority of people that might have read it, feel the same, even if they didn't state their opinion here.
    I truly believe that you don't have one ounce of compassion in your body.
    Laugh when tragedy strikes YOU - not others.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Very well put and I can say I agree with everything said here.

I just can't imagine what kind of person would hire an insensitive cruel person to work in an office when they get their jollies making fun of other people's tragedies, and yes, Alzheimer's is a tragedy. Just because the husband tries to cover up his real feelings of sadness does not give you the right to make a mockery of it on forums. Maybe search your soul for a bit if understanding and compassion before mouthing off about something you don't seem to know a whit about.
    Maybe it's time you went back to school and studied up on a few things.
    Asiel

I've been Boo'd----

Come on kids. Lighten up now.
    It's Easter time.
    This forum has been argument free for a while, and it's been good, so lets not open up old wounds.....k ????

"I'm Back !!"

Blog Entries
    Actually things are really smoking in here & the smoke alarm went off in my computer besides.

I don't have Alzheimer's (anyhow I don't think I do?) but it has taken me half a year now to find some dog collars I put up on some deer horns, that were hanging right in front of me. Go figure the older you get the worse it gets.

From "Crazy Things Parents Say"

Me: So why does the older generations have so many more children?
    Gran: (Who has 3 sisters and 4 brothers) Well, there wasn't much to do back then.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    Come on kids. Lighten up now.
    It's Easter time.
    This forum has been argument free for a while, and it's been good, so lets not open up old wounds.....k ????

I don't see any argument here Wom. Simply differing views on a subject. While some may think it's fine to ridicule Alzheimer's patients or any other form of mental illness I view it as a form of abuse, insensitivity and cruelty and that's what I stated. People are up in arms over the abuse of pets yet abusing humans is considered acceptable?? Not in my view and that's all I stated. I've witnessed these people in all stages of this devastating disease and sincerely can't say that I find anything funny about it. And I don't know anyone else who can find humour in making fun of them or anyone with any kind of mental illness for that matter.

I challenge you to spend a day in a facility for Alzheimer's patients or any other form of disorder and come home saying that was a fun day. Would you teach your own children to ridicule anyone with a mental disorder-- What about our soldiers who come home mentally disabled because of injury , physical or mental trauma etc...do you find anything funny about them also...? Or are they just cast away veggie salads? Maybe I'm just overly sensitive.
    Asiel

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    I don't see any argument here Wom. Simply differing views on a subject. While some may think it's fine to ridicule Alzheimer's patients or any other form of mental illness I view it as a form of abuse, insensitivity and cruelty and that's what I stated. People are up in arms over the abuse of pets yet abusing humans is considered acceptable?? Not in my view and that's all I stated. I've witnessed these people in all stages of this devastating disease and sincerely can't say that I find anything funny about it. And I don't know anyone else who can find humour in making fun of them or anyone with any kind of mental illness for that matter.

I challenge you to spend a day in a facility for Alzheimer's patients or any other form of disorder and come home saying that was a fun day. Would you teach your own children to ridicule anyone with a mental disorder-- What about our soldiers who come home mentally disabled because of injury , physical or mental trauma etc...do you find anything funny about them also...? Or are they just cast away veggie salads? Maybe I'm just overly sensitive.
    Awww...it was a harmless little joke mate, and I doubt it was meant to offend anyone. I mean, most jokes have a shot at something or someone, right ????

"I'm Back !!"

Link to a Google search for "disabled comedians"...and guess what they laugh about?

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=h...06745222af36bd
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I thought I would never make jokes of someone with a disability but found in the later days of my mother's Dementia it was hard not to get a chuckle out of some of her imagined foes that came her way. It is hard seeing someone you love, that has always been on top of everything, start the downward trek with
    all kinds of imagined things. Yes, some , no, most were laughable.

In my recent visit to my cardiologist he ask me if my neurogolist had talked to me much about a certain neurological problem. i told him that she had not said a word to me. I had noted that recently that my brain was not making the quick accessments that it once did. An example would be a sound that in the past would instantly be identifed, processed and I would not react. Now sounds are not being processed fast enough and it is causing problems with understanding normal speech and sounds that appear from no where now startle me. Just a few months ago I would have instantly identified the sound and would not react. The some total of what my neurologist has not discussed with me but put in my record is I'm on the starting path that ALS and other neurogical disorders takes. From a memory standpoint I joking say watching reruns is ok because I can't remember what I saw the first time. I feel now as long as I am still able to joke about it I'm still OK. It's when I'm so far gone that I can't joke that worries me. I still have most of my old cognitive ability for problem solving but find multitasking is getting harder. Mulitasking now means I start to do one thing get sidetracked to another task and another, then another. Sidetracked is a very big part of my dayly life now.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

I think to, it's how people relate to a disability. I know that if I got Alzheimers, I wouldn't want the world to mourn me. No... life goes on, it's the luck of the draw....life goes on....laughing and joking about it is fine, I know it's not serious.....it's a joke right ??? Makes a lightness of the situation....not malicious fun toward it.

I had a mate years ago who I worked with, he lost an eye in a wood machine shop....sure, we were very sorry he had lost an eye, but that didn't stop us all knicknaming him "Cyclops", even his wife called him that. He didn't mind....he even signed his Xmas cards to us with that name. But he knew all too well, that if he needed help, he'd only have to ask.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    Well I have spent a day in a facility for Alzheimers patients, in fact MANY days. My wife Karen was the Nurse-in-Charge of a dementia unit for many years, and have a guess who won all of the building and maintenance contracts there ?? (Yeah, I know, it's who you know....right ?). I have worked amongst these people, and even had many good relationships with some of them who constantly followed me around all day like inquisitive children. Sure I felt sorry for them, and yeah sure I believe that one day I'll probably just be one of them. But that doesn't stop me from telling a few jokes to my mates about them over a beer. What are we supposed to do ???
    A patient, old Billy Nye had full whack Alzheimers, and loved to sit by me and watch me work. Every morning he heard the hammer, he would come searching for me, and as he shuffled towards me I'd say "Come on Billy, you can walk faster than that can't you ?? And what's that all over your shirt ???Your breakfast again ??" And he'd give me the biggest smile.
    Making fun of him....no. Billy is long gone now....but you know....he enjoyed his times with me.

As for teaching my children to ridicule people with afflictions....well no...that would be very malicious of me right ??? I'm sure my children know what is expected of them in society.....and also how to act in such situations...the choice is there's of course....mourn life or live it.

Do I find anything funny about soldiers who return from war mentally or physically disabled ??? Well, there is a difference between actually having fun with them and making fun of them. You see, I am one of those people who has returned from war, and is disabled both physically AND mentally.
    You know, when my knee goes out of whack, and I start to hobble around, everyone calls me "Chester" (remember Chester the limping cowboy in Gunsmoke ??). Hey, I don't feel bad about that ??? It's great....I love it.
    And when I REALLY go out of whack mentally, and the meds don't take over quick enough, well everyone calls me "That nut case Browny". Thats ok, I can live with that, I'm not after sympathy, they are not really making fun of me.....not really. Even my daughters constantly refer to me as "Nutty Dad".
    I love it. I wouldn't have it any other way.

There is a difference between maliciousness and having fun...a big difference mate

"I'm Back !!"

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    A place for everything, and everything in it's place ........I'm sure you've all heard that one before. JMO that this isn't the place. I will continue with my values and beliefs and opinions tho, but there's no point in beating a dead horse - is there??

Happy Easter to all that celebrate this day.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    A place for everything, and everything in it's place ........I'm sure you've all heard that one before. JMO that this isn't the place. I will continue with my values and beliefs and opinions tho, but there's no point in beating a dead horse - is there??

Happy Easter to all that celebrate this day.
    Can I beat the dead horse just a tiny more. You are welcome to your values & beliefs we all have them. This place it is called Our PT jokes thread that means all kinds of Jokes. Jokes are jokes you can take them or leave them. Now for me it is trying to remember them